Glasses with Headset

Landis

I wear glasses and I’ve long used the Clarity Aloft and it’s been great but now that I’m settling in to the fact I’m going to be flying a 737 for the next 20+ years I think it’s time for something with a bit more noise protection.

I tried the Bose Pro Flight but didn’t like the complexity of getting the ear pieces to sit correctly and I still had issues with the ANR occasionally cutting out as the seal breaks especially on deployment of the reversers. I got an annoying bass/pressure rumble from the ANR. I’ve now got the Bose A30 and they are awesome, as long as I don’t wear my glasses.

Glasses break the seal and make things louder and I get that fatiguing ANR rumble. I take the glasses off or put them above the ear cups and it’s oh so quiet. Just flew a trip with both my old Clarity Aloft and the A30s and it’s no contest, except for the glasses.

Bought a new set of regular glasses with thinner temples and it didn’t help much. Seen Flying Eyes and Scheyden. Are these my solution? I don’t mind buying new glasses if it works. But does it solve my issue? Does everyone just ignore this rumble or am I the only one this bothers?

I have fairly thick glasses and the Bose pro flight work fine. You just have to rotate the ear thing to get a decent fit. It feels awkward, but you get used to it. I haven’t had any issues with the standard tips. I tried the smaller ones and had the leakage issues you had.

Because of my glasses, I wear the Bose ProFlight. I have no issue with the hinged side supports (they lock into place with a detent). I agree with you on occasional outside noise so I went to PilotStuff.com and ordered a pair of custom ear inserts. You can’t beat the combination!!!

I wear glasses. I used the Bose A20s on the E-190 and had no problems. Now I use the QC35s on the 320 and still a great fit.

I have fairly thick glasses and the Bose pro flight work fine. You just have to rotate the ear thing to get a decent fit. It feels awkward, but you get used to it. I haven’t had any issues with the standard tips. I tried the smaller ones and had the leakage issues you had.

Same. It looks weird but it's a fantastic headset.

Man, there must be something wrong with me.

I had one for a week and I found the ear buds painful. With custom-molded tips they might fit me better/be comfortable but I don't know - a bit gunshy. I'm flying with a CQ right now which is like a souped up Halo or a Clarity Aloft. I've been tempted to try the A30 since they reduced the clamping force (that was my gripe with the A20.)

I’ve gone with armless glasses to prevent headset brain squeeze.

43A8E521-D2FF-4CCF-800A-0C5C9E5ADB00.png

I tried the Bose Pro Flight for a couple trips and decided at the time it wasn’t worth the premium over my Clarity Aloft, especially with the occasional ANR rumble. But the ANR rumble is constant with the A30 unless I don’t have the glasses underneath. Without the glasses the A30 is really good. I‘m not sure how realistic the DC cushions would be but maybe should try those for the price before I spend $500 on new glasses or another K on a headset I’ve already tried.

Has anyone tried Flying Eyes and seen a marked difference on any ANR rumble? Otherwise it’s back to Pro Flight but this time with some ear molds. How easy is it to put ear molds in? With 4-5 leg days at times that‘s a lot of ear situating.

I've been using flying eyes glasses for the last 8-10 months with my lightspeed zulu headset and they work very, very well.
I recently spoke with the flying chops guy (who inspired me to try the flying eyes glasses when they were a sponsor of his) and he also swears by the serengeti brand of glasses.

I also looked at bigatmo glasses, which look interesting, but i haven't personally tried them

links:
1) Flying Eyes Optics - Ultimate Comfort Under Headsets and Helmets
2) Serengeti Eyewear: The Most Advanced Sunglasses for women and men
3) Bigatmo Sunglasses | Perfected for Aviation & Sports

We're supposedly moving into 1990 and getting intercoms in the 717, so I may actually consider going back to my Telex 850. Problem is it uses mike bias voltage to run the ANR, and about 1 out of 10 airplanes (7ERs as well) it doesn't work because reasons. And it doesn't work like there's no ANR, it doesn't work as in it shorts the mike so you can't transmit over coms (yet interphone works fine), and the first time you find this out is on departure.

Man, there must be something wrong with me.

I had one for a week and I found the ear buds painful. With custom-molded tips they might fit me better/be comfortable but I don't know - a bit gunshy. I'm flying with a CQ right now which is like a souped up Halo or a Clarity Aloft. I've been tempted to try the A30 since they reduced the clamping force (that was my gripe with the A20.)
Have you tried the smallest size ear piece? I just bought the Bose Proflight for the second time. The first time I felt like I didn’t give it enough time to make a decision but I had the same complaints as you. I wish DC would come out with something similar.

Have you tried the smallest size ear piece? I just bought the Bose Proflight for the second time. The first time I felt like I didn’t give it enough time to make a decision but I had the same complaints as you. I wish DC would come out with something similar.

Yeah I did - I used them for a solid week and a half during IOE, trying to get different configs that would work. I guess my ears are slightly off-shaped, because the left one would cause discomfort no matter what, but no problem with the right. On my CQs, they aren't uncomfortable, but I can feel a definite difference in the fit between left and right - so custom molds might be a solution there.

But, honestly, a clamp is just more convenient. So if the reduced-force A30s are more comfortable, I might just have to suck it up. I do have LS Zulu 3s, and they're okay, but anytime we're above .75 or so in the lower to mid 30s, they just aren't quiet enough. The ctrl-alt-del jet is loud as hell in those regimes.

Yeah I did - I used them for a solid week and a half during IOE, trying to get different configs that would work. I guess my ears are slightly off-shaped, because the left one would cause discomfort no matter what, but no problem with the right. On my CQs, they aren't uncomfortable, but I can feel a definite difference in the fit between left and right - so custom molds might be a solution there.

But, honestly, a clamp is just more convenient. So if the reduced-force A30s are more comfortable, I might just have to suck it up. I do have LS Zulu 3s, and they're okay, but anytime we're above .75 or so in the lower to mid 30s, they just aren't quiet enough. The ctrl-alt-del jet is loud as hell in those regimes.
The clamp style is a lot more convenient. I’m usually hopping up a few times during a long flight and the whole putting the headset on then the ear piece ritual gets old. I’ll give it a few more trips.

It does sound like customs molds might be better for you. A few folks at my shop got them and rave about them.

I ended up with two different sized earpieces with the Pro Flight during my trial (2 trips) so I hear what you guys are talking about. Perhaps the custom ear pieces would be the way to go and I didn’t give it enough of a chance. The complexity of putting it on and taking it off is what I experienced as well. And when you’ve got lots of legs that can get annoying.

Unfortunately I’m at least a month past my trial return date for the A30s. I might just struggle with these a bit longer and just be annoyed with the rumble or tilt the glasses over the top.

Thanks for the feedback.

Back