Glasses with Headset

I wear glasses and I’ve long used the Clarity Aloft and it’s been great but now that I’m settling in to the fact I’m going to be flying a 737 for the next 20+ years I think it’s time for something with a bit more noise protection.

I tried the Bose Pro Flight but didn’t like the complexity of getting the ear pieces to sit correctly and I still had issues with the ANR occasionally cutting out as the seal breaks especially on deployment of the reversers. I got an annoying bass/pressure rumble from the ANR. I’ve now got the Bose A30 and they are awesome, as long as I don’t wear my glasses.

Glasses break the seal and make things louder and I get that fatiguing ANR rumble. I take the glasses off or put them above the ear cups and it’s oh so quiet. Just flew a trip with both my old Clarity Aloft and the A30s and it’s no contest, except for the glasses.

Bought a new set of regular glasses with thinner temples and it didn’t help much. Seen Flying Eyes and Scheyden. Are these my solution? I don’t mind buying new glasses if it works. But does it solve my issue? Does everyone just ignore this rumble or am I the only one this bothers?
Huh? What??

Jeebus! 737s -'specially up front- just don't seem all that LOUD.

View: https://youtu.be/CWWDKZ-kydE

I fly with A20s, and haven't had any problems with my sunglasses fitting underneath. I think they are these ray bans, so fairly thick framed. Maybe a tiny reduction in ANR performance, but nothing worth writing home about.

Seen Flying Eyes and Scheyden.
Give Method Seven a look. Flying Eyes's optics are lousy; Method Seven is a lens company that happens to make eyewear, ironically for both the marijuana cultivation industry and for an industry completely incompatible with marijuana (ours). I have two pairs of their shades and they're simply fantastic.

Incidentally, I've now used a DC Pro-X in the 175, CRJ, 320 and 767 now, and it's simply fantastic. I assume it would work just as well on the Jurassic Jet, and I was unaware David Clark could make a comfortable headset.

I'm speaking from complete ignorance, but I have a hard time imagining a 737 flight deck is noisier than a typical piston GA cabin. Or that you will find something substantially quieter than Clarity.

I'm speaking from complete ignorance, but I have a hard time imagining a 737 flight deck is noisier than a typical piston GA cabin. Or that you will find something substantially quieter than Clarity.
I haven't had to sit up there in quite a while thank God, but I was not impressed the last time I did. I seem to remember it was every bit as loud as the 175, which wasn't quiet.

That said, neither the 320 nor the 737 are as quiet as people seem to think; the former particularly at higher indicated air speeds and lower flight levels.

They're not noisier, but they're pretty noisy compared to similar jet aircraft. At Brown, the 75 is ridiculously noisy. They removed every piece of sound proofing they could. It's common to switch a pack off at positive rate.

Decibel wise, probably similar. But being wind noise and not engine noise it's different and even the best noise canceling sets can struggle with it. The newer 737s got vortex generators just in front of the windows that do help with the noise at lower flight levels and mid range speeds but between liftoff and the low 30s it's just an assault on the ears no matter what.

A 737 cockpit will ALWAYS be significantly quieter than a typical GA cockpit. (with the possible exception of wind noise between 280 and 220, in which case it will still be quieter, just maybe not as significantly quieter.)

Back