DCA Video

H46Bubba

Did anyone at DCA see the video last week? I was at work and wasn't able to make it. I remember when the Delta film crew was there filming several months ago. Are they planning on using it internally or for recruiting?

The "word on the street" is that it is going to be sent as a DVD to potential students. I did not see it either though.

Hey H46... I have a link to the video... I got a copy of it from the front desk today.

Click here: http://gratisnet.com/DCA_video.mpg

Now, this link is from my father in law's website... and he is a radical democrat. I do not agree with everything on his site as I consider myself a moderate with Republican tendencies. ( my wife is a die hard Republican and vote for Bush twice, so I have to break up the political discussion in the family as they get heated at times!)

DCA HAS NOT ASKED ME TO POST THIS VIDEO AND GRATISNET IS NOT RELATED TO DCA IN ANY SHAPE OR FORM. Again this is a favor from my father-in-law.

Have fun watching and pay attention to the Delta Captain... afterall according to some"experts" at this forum, DCA has no relationship to Delta at all... so watch the video and you tell me!

I like the part where the narrator says "While you are finishing your program, you have the chance to become a paid flight instructor". I think he forgot to mention that YOU HAVE TO BE AN INSTRUCTOR to get the guaranteed interview and reap the rewards of their many "connections", and that without employment, their "program" is the same that you could get anywhere else, for less than half the cost of DCA. That right there sums it up why DCA has so much negativity, they deserve every bit of it.

P.S. I would like to be a fly on the wall in the crew lounge after that Delta captain got done with his little pre-written shpeal. Actually I could probably hear the laughs from him and his buddies through the walls.

Don't be naive...

It is well known and made clear to prospective students ( and was made clear to me when I was about to enroll ) that you must complete the student phase successfully, get hired as an instructor and accumulate the flight hours before being "released" for the guaranteed interview. We have already discussed all this and the brochures that accompany that video also explains that.

By the way, most of the instructors that appear as talking heads on the video were hired and are in training at COMAIR as we type...

[ QUOTE ]
I

P.S. I would like to be a fly on the wall in the crew lounge after that Delta captain got done with his little pre-written shpeal. Actually I could probably hear the laughs from him and his buddies through the walls.

[/ QUOTE ]

He was not coerced into doing that and that shows you that there is more to DCA and Delta than you would like to admit.

bandit.gif

Ive seen the whole dog and pony show between DCA and Delta, I know how it works. I also have met a few of the instructors, great people, nothing against them whatsoever. I (and a lot of other people) just think that they should be a little more honest on the whole instructor hiring thing. Face it, you guys cant hire every student that completes training there. Before they plop down $70-80k on ratings they could get for $30k, the video should make it well known that you get none of the "connections" if you dont get hired. They portray it as an aside, like "oh, another benefit is you can get paid to instruct"--- No, you HAVE to instruct to get the deal. Its dishonest and to someone who has heard it before, its a crock of s*%t.

It is well known and made clear to prospective students ( and was made clear to me when I was about to enroll ) that you must complete the student phase successfully, get hired as an instructor and accumulate the flight hours before being "released" for the guaranteed interview. We have already discussed all this and the brochures that accompany that video also explains that.

One more time since it seems you did not get it the first time around.

[ QUOTE ]

One more time since it seems you did not get it the first time around.

[/ QUOTE ]

hmm it sure wasnt all that clear when i went to the "Your future in commercial aviation" dog and pony show. Dude who are you trying to fool here Planediveguy? perhaps yourself?

" Your worst day flying is better than the best day working".

You should think a little more when selecting your quotes, since people here want to turn flying into their jobs... so if flying is your work, how does that apply?
nana2.gif

Dude- have you ever heard of Len Morgan? He said it best himself:

"Some people would rather work for a living...Me? I'd rather fly"

Perhaps if flying is just another job to you, you might consider leaving.

Back on topic- If the fact that you need to be hired to complete the program is made so obvious, why couldnt they state that in the video?

Not trying to fool anyone. But I don't know a single student that doesn't know BEFORE enrollment that they need to get hired as instructors and accumulate hours before the interview. When I was given the sales pitch, that was made very clear to me.

[ QUOTE ]
Dude- have you ever heard of Len Morgan? He said it best himself:

"Some people would rather work for a living...Me? I'd rather fly"

Perhaps if flying is just another job to you, you might consider leaving.

Back on topic- If the fact that you need to be hired to complete the program is made so obvious, why couldnt they state that in the video?

[/ QUOTE ]

There is a possibility of change in the Horizon in the way the program is run. The " ab initio " concept that will be implemented with the new fleet might not require the instructor phase. So with the possibility of getting an interview without the need to be an instructor why would they get that statement? Besides that video is part of a package that explains very well all the options available to prospective students.
rawk.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Have fun watching and pay attention to the Delta Captain... afterall according to some"experts" at this forum, DCA has no relationship to Delta at all...

[/ QUOTE ]I don't think there's anyone on this board that ever said DCA & Delta have NO relationship...it's just not the relationship that's marketed via DCA...Everyone and their brother knows that Delta owns Comair, Comair owns DCA - it's a "part of the package" type deal and that's the only relationship there is. The fact that DCA needs a Delta pilot (whether captain or not) as part of it's marketing campaign to bring in the chicklets is pretty sad really since Delta has no other affilation other than 1/3 ownership. You'd think DCA could market soley on it's own based credentials (on student/instructor happiness) - at least that's what I would have used for marketing (but that's me)... why not let the students/instructors speak for themselves to prospective students?? A DAL pilot isn't really going to relay the story about DCA as well as people that were content with their service.

just IMO - FWIW...

and what's up with attacking a "signature" PDG?? not everyone is flying as a "job". some fly for fun or think of flying as a fun job - which is pretty much what the quote is saying. to each their own "signatures" eh?!

"Delta owns Comair, Comair owns DCA"

What happens when Delta doesn't own Comair anymore? I think it's gonna happen.

Being a business major and working at the Academy this is
the way the ownership of the Academy works from Delta Air Lines by the following: Delta Air Lines owns Delta Connection- Delta Connection owns Comair Holdings which owns Delta Air Elite, Comair Airlines and Delta Connection Academy. All of which are wholly owned subisdiaries. Just like ASA and Song Alirlines. We have the same travel bennies as a 777 captain at Delta with only a different Pass Rider number. By the way, all of our marketing is approved by Delta Air Lines in ATL.

How ignorant can some people be honestly???????

I don't believe for one second that there is any school or academy out there who hires every single one of their graduates. And to actually think this happens anywhere is really being quite dumb. I no longer support DCA although I graduated from there. But I cannot stand just sheer ignorance. I think that any student who claims to not have known and complains about DCA not hiring all of the candidates deserves what they got. One should not spend so much money without asking, and clarifying every single detail about the program. From day 1 I asked evryone I could about everything I could think of, and was actually told that only about 80% of candidates are hired as instructors which number seems to be very accurate. Just think if any school hired all of its graduates, there would be a whole lot of crappy instructors out there.
I was once foolish and believed that DCA was the only way to go, but now I see the reality of it all and there is aviation happening outside of DCA. Good luck to all who wish to attend and please don't be ignorant. When you are about to spend 100,000 dollars you might want to ask some questions.

Fabio, thanks for the link. I must say that the video was done really well. Could have done without the "being owned by Delta" bit as well as the Delta pilot. I even see that they gave you a one second cameo!

Back