College Degree?

Ah, this old thread.

"College is good!"

"Blasphemy! I know a guy with a degree and he's an idiot!"

"There's a class in college that teaches why that example really doesn't prove anything."

"The smartest people I know don't have degrees!"

"Again..."

Rinse, repeat, twice a year.

Not everyone can be dimwitted like folks in Alabama and Mississippi.

That's a very uneducated statement. Does higher education teach you to make generalized assumptions such as this? I know some very good people who would lay down their life, give you the shirt off their backs if you needed one. Compassion and love for others in both actions and speech towards one another is something that can't be taught by lecture.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

You do too huh? Yeah, they're great people.

Anyway. Obviously the sarcasm escapes a few of you. Not a big deal in my book. Nevertheless, maybe when I am fully awake we can discussion the awesome primary education system in those two fine states.

So, HAVE YOU read Meditations On First Philosophy?

I have not. I've read Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance, though. Does that count? ;p

Or have you just watched The Matrix

I'm more inclined to make a pop culture reference in casual conversation, because in my experience the average person, educated or not, is not well-versed in history or philosophy*, and even those who are often appreciate them only as quantifiable constructs, which I abhor.

That said, I have a particular love for philosophy, and for ontological examination of the human condition, and especially for the counterbalance it has traditionally provided for scientific advancement, keeping it in check and at the same time strengthening it. It has been sorely neglected, from my point of view.

Because the concept comes from Descartes in the late 1400's.

The concept exists entirely independently of its announcement by Descartes, foundational though it may be.

I learned that in college.

And what have you done with it? As someone who thinks that philosophy deserves serious study, analysis and focus, and a great deal more "love" in academia, I strongly feel that the fading of philosophy come from its use as analytical history, combined with the very factor I rail against: the destruction of the integrity of higher education in the pursuit of profit and the commoditization of education. Almost everyone you ask will say "Philosophy degree? So are you going to be a philosopher or a lawyer?" ... or, more pointedly, "lol, if you want to waste your money."

Listen, almost everyone I know has a degree, so I'd ask you to do me the favor of not assuming that I'm willfully ignorant on the subject of education. I've taken many college courses, starting when I was very young and interested in paleontology, marine ecology and anthropology (and I was allowed to attend the classes at a local college for free ... with no credit, of course), music theory and counterpoint, mathematics, etc., continuing on to this year. I can—and do—bounce questions about academia off of people who have been through the system to all endpoints, including several who went through to the postgraduate level. It's an interesting subject for me, for reasons which I'll go into if you're curious†, but the main point I want to make is that I have never said "A college degree is a waste of time," "A college degree makes you a worse thinker," or any such nonsense. Personally, I think the "degree" aspect is pure poison. The fact that some people can't be educated without consequence or external motivation is a sad reality, yes, but it also makes me question the value of the "education" that these people will receive. When this discussion comes up online or in person, I'm often overwhelmed by how many people say "college was great, but not for the education.", "Just need to check the box", or similar things.

I've seen the people in the classes I've taken—let's take music composition and theory, for example—who have no idea what they want to do, couldn't care less about the class, and pass all of the classes required in this CORE curriculum with flying colors by just doing what they're told, applying minimum effort, and developing no sense whatsoever of the appreciation they could (and by my argument should) have developed for the subject. Many dull, disinterested eyes. I have hundreds of acquaintances and at least a dozen friends actively in college right now, and most of them have made similar observations, if not glazed-eyed themselves.

I want higher education to be free, and I believe it should be. I want it to be sought out by people who want it because they want to -learn-, not because they want 'a job'. I want the standard of education provided to be extremely high, and I want the stigma against academia as a goal in and of itself destroyed. The view that if you force people through education they will come out the other side enhanced is compelling, but in my opinion wrong: the actual result will be at best somewhere in the middle... like the public school system, for example. Throw in profit as a motive for both the education industry and the individual, and it breaks down further.

The biggest issue I try to address is the perception that someone without a degree is of lesser stature. I couldn't disagree more; when I come across people (like my roommate) who have a PhD, or a couple of my coworkers who have multiple PhDs in a scientific field, or an old-school network admin who has an old CCIE (before they watered it down), or names that I recognize from the founding days of the internet, many of whom still work in the industry, and many of whom I've worked alongside (and some I still do), or people who have done great things .. these people I do hold in higher esteem by light of their accomplishments. Or musicians who make amazing music, or people who -do- things. But having a Bachelors degree in underwater basket weaving from ScrewU? A "masters" degree in IT from UP?

Anyway, this is going on way too long, and I'm tired. Lots more to say, but it would take too much energy for the consideration it would receive.

-Fox

* - Nor am I, myself, nearly so well-read in the formal study of philosophy as I would like to be.

† - I don't get curiosity or even politeness from your tone. I read a layer of snark over veiled hostility to my ideas—ideas which, it feels to me, you hold in contempt. I'm firm in my beliefs, but not committed. I am open to new ideas and curious to hear what people have to say on this and other subjects. I present my opinions for the consideration of others, and I welcome discussion and comment. I present my experiences and invite counters, but I encourage people to award special consideration to the ideas which challenge their own, and attempt an analysis in consideration of your own inherent bias. I think Descartes might have something to say about that.

Last edited:
My fallback for explaining what's good and virtuous about Education (formal or otherwise) is the old (no doubt oft-chain-emailed, etc etc) David Foster-Wallace commencement address, reproduced here:

I really like that commencement speech. My favorite part:
lane-blocking SUV's and Hummers and V-12 pickup trucks, burning their wasteful, selfish, forty-gallon tanks of gas, and I can dwell on the fact that the patriotic or religious bumper-stickers always seem to be on the biggest, most disgustingly selfish vehicles, driven by the ugliest [responding here to loud applause] (this is an example of how NOT to think, though) ...

I can't imagine how it feels to try and deliver that particular speech and then, half-way through, be pointedly reminded of just how "dead" your audience is.

-Fox

My fallback for explaining what's good and virtuous about Education (formal or otherwise) is the old (no doubt oft-chain-emailed, etc etc) David Foster-Wallace commencement address, reproduced here:

http://faculty.winthrop.edu/martinme/Thisiswater.htm

If your grandmother forwarded this to you five years ago and it only makes you want to roll your eyes and throw things at me, feel free to skip! But I think it's a wonderful and damned near profound explanation of what we actually mean when we say "well-educated". YMMV, as always. But I mean, at least it's not "wear sunscreen", so it's got that going for it.

That's an incredible speech. I love it! Wallace became an English/Creative writing professor at my college my senior year, and it's a huge regret that I took a credit of P.E. to finish up instead of fighting to get into his class. Archery and badminton, while fun, were probably not as unique or instructive as listening to him for 3 hours a week.

Ah, this old thread.

"College is good!"

"Blasphemy! I know a guy with a degree and he's an idiot!"

"There's a class in college that teaches why that example really doesn't prove anything."

"The smartest people I know don't have degrees!"

"Again..."

Rinse, repeat, twice a year.

mastermags said:
I was going to go to college. Then I got to page 3 of this thread. Now I just want to drink heavily, mix pills, and play GTA V all day.

You can do THAT, and be a pilot, AND have a degree!

I have not. I've read Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance, though. Does that count? ;p

I'm more inclined to make a pop culture reference in casual conversation, because in my experience the average person, educated or not, is not well-versed in history or philosophy*, and even those who are often appreciate them only as quantifiable constructs, which I abhor.

That said, I have a particular love for philosophy, and for ontological examination of the human condition, and especially for the counterbalance it has traditionally provided for scientific advancement, keeping it in check and at the same time strengthening it. It has been sorely neglected, from my point of view.

The concept exists entirely independently of its announcement by Descartes, foundational though it may be.

And what have you done with it? As someone who thinks that philosophy deserves serious study, analysis and focus, and a great deal more "love" in academia, I strongly feel that the fading of philosophy come from its use as analytical history, combined with the very factor I rail against: the destruction of the integrity of higher education in the pursuit of profit and the commoditization of education. Almost everyone you ask will say "Philosophy degree? So are you going to be a philosopher or a lawyer?" ... or, more pointedly, "lol, if you want to waste your money."

Listen, almost everyone I know has a degree, so I'd ask you to do me the favor of not assuming that I'm willfully ignorant on the subject of education. I've taken many college courses, starting when I was very young and interested in paleontology, marine ecology and anthropology (and I was allowed to attend the classes at a local college for free ... with no credit, of course), music theory and counterpoint, mathematics, etc., continuing on to this year. I can—and do—bounce questions about academia off of people who have been through the system to all endpoints, including several who went through to the postgraduate level. It's an interesting subject for me, for reasons which I'll go into if you're curious†, but the main point I want to make is that I have never said "A college degree is a waste of time," "A college degree makes you a worse thinker," or any such nonsense. Personally, I think the "degree" aspect is pure poison. The fact that some people can't be educated without consequence or external motivation is a sad reality, yes, but it also makes me question the value of the "education" that these people will receive. When this discussion comes up online or in person, I'm often overwhelmed by how many people say "college was great, but not for the education.", "Just need to check the box", or similar things.

I've seen the people in the classes I've taken—let's take music composition and theory, for example—who have no idea what they want to do, couldn't care less about the class, and pass all of the classes required in this CORE curriculum with flying colors by just doing what they're told, applying minimum effort, and developing no sense whatsoever of the appreciation they could (and by my argument should) have developed for the subject. Many dull, disinterested eyes. I have hundreds of acquaintances and at least a dozen friends actively in college right now, and most of them have made similar observations, if not glazed-eyed themselves.

I want higher education to be free, and I believe it should be. I want it to be sought out by people who want it because they want to -learn-, not because they want 'a job'. I want the standard of education provided to be extremely high, and I want the stigma against academia as a goal in and of itself destroyed. The view that if you force people through education they will come out the other side enhanced is compelling, but in my opinion wrong: the actual result will be at best somewhere in the middle... like the public school system, for example. Throw in profit as a motive for both the education industry and the individual, and it breaks down further.

The biggest issue I try to address is the perception that someone without a degree is of lesser stature. I couldn't disagree more; when I come across people (like my roommate) who have a PhD, or a couple of my coworkers who have multiple PhDs in a scientific field, or an old-school network admin who has an old CCIE (before they watered it down), or names that I recognize from the founding days of the internet, many of whom still work in the industry, and many of whom I've worked alongside (and some I still do), or people who have done great things .. these people I do hold in higher esteem by light of their accomplishments. Or musicians who make amazing music, or people who -do- things. But having a Bachelors degree in underwater basket weaving from ScrewU? A "masters" degree in IT from UP?

Anyway, this is going on way too long, and I'm tired. Lots more to say, but it would take too much energy for the consideration it would receive.

-Fox

* - Nor am I, myself, nearly so well-read in the formal study of philosophy as I would like to be.

† - I don't get curiosity or even politeness from your tone. I read a layer of snark over veiled hostility to my ideas—ideas which, it feels to me, you hold in contempt. I'm firm in my beliefs, but not committed. I am open to new ideas and curious to hear what people have to say on this and other subjects. I present my opinions for the consideration of others, and I welcome discussion and comment. I present my experiences and invite counters, but I encourage people to award special consideration to the ideas which challenge their own, and attempt an analysis in consideration of your own inherent bias. I think Descartes might have something to say about that.
@Derg, über-like please!

...and the further you get along in this business it becomes less and less about physical flying skills. The best pilot I've ever flown with was either a Yale or Harvard grad who made an absolutely horrible landing. Still the best pilot I've ever shared a flight deck with. Just furthering your point @Murdoughnut

Exactly. Very rarely do you ever see an accident report that is solely the result of poor stick and rudder skills.

I've said this a million times and I'll say it again. I'd rather fly with someone who is level headed and makes good decisions, even if they are a poor stick and rudder pilot. Obviously there is a minimum acceptable standard in this industry that (in theory) everyone meets. But in part 121 flying, I'd rather be the guy who diverts because the winds are gusting to 50 than the guy who wrestles the plane to the ground and thinks he's a badass because of it.

Higher education is an incredible opportunity. It's also, in this country, incredibly expensive. It's a massive industry that is struggling to make itself as ubiquitous as health care, lowering the barriers to entry and jacking up the costs. Like healthcare, if it's something that you "must have", the pricing model can rely heavily on the debt you're willing to incur—especially if they sell you on the concept that it'll improve the amount of money you earn.

I neither agree nor disagree, but I do find some consonance here—at the very least, find and follow your passions, and explore them in any way you can. Of course, for many people—like myself—college is about the worst way to explore an interest. Its clunky, one-size-fits-most, we-need-to-assign-you-a-score style is a real drag when trying to explore a subject that requires no external motivation.

Do these things truly enlighten you and make you a better human being? Are you a better representative for the species than a Tibetan monk, a humanitarian worker, a carpenter, a (working) musician, or a person whose single goal in life is simply to be the best parent they could possibly be for their children?

I couldn't agree more, and that's why I value autodidactism over the course of a passionately lived, lovingly explored life.

Well, if it enlightens them and makes them a better human being ... why not just take the cheapest, quickest option that involves the thing that they're the most passionate about?

-Fox

This is apparently "what the fox says"

Formal education is important, but you're hardly a blithering idiot if you don't have it. The barrier to entry nowadays is certainly more difficult than it ever has been. While it is important in this industry to have a 4 year degree, I certainly don't look down on anyone who hasn't had the same opportunities that I have.

Never read it, myself. Haven't spent much time with Eastern philosophy. My primary focus in undergraduate was Descartes and his progeny.

Casual depends on who you're having the conversation with. As much as @Boris Badenov likes to play the village idiot, while he's laying back in the cut, he's thinking about this stuff at a much higher level than most of us, myself included.

My (classical) philosophical education has said the opposite, in that philosophy does not balance science, but instead predates it. As an example, Ptolemy based his model of the universe in Aristotle's idea that everything works in concentric circles.

I love Descartes, but I'm not exactly sure he was revealing a priori knowledge with his work, unless you buy his argument for the existence of God. Personally, I didn't find it very convincing, as much as I'm a believer.

Yes, it seems, or at least once I get licensed, and it WAS a good pre-law education. My BA was in philosophy with a minor in political science. I can assure you it was a fascinating four years.

Oh the education was great, and being that I have a "worthless" undergraduate degree to many folks, others seem to believe that I wasted 4.5 years of my life when I could have been doing something useful. But being that my undergraduate degree was a pre-requisite for my eventual graduate work, I'd say that it was time well spent. Frankly I didn't learn how to do much but think.

Maybe I hang with a bunch of dimwits (it's VERY likely, actually), but from what I saw of my friends who were music majors, comp and theory were HARD. I'd say that most music majors were harder than what I did during undergraduate. And they had to audition to even get in!

I want higher education to be free, and I believe it should be. I want it to be sought out by people who want it because they want to -learn-, not because they want 'a job'.

Same.

I want the standard of education provided to be extremely high, and I want the stigma against academia as a goal in and of itself destroyed.

Meh, I'm not so sure about that.

The view that if you force people through education they will come out the other side enhanced is compelling, but in my opinion wrong: the actual result will be at best somewhere in the middle... like the public school system, for example. Throw in profit as a motive for both the education industry and the individual, and it breaks down further.

The state school I attended for undergraduate wasn't making any money. The Jesuit institution I attended for grad school made phat stacks off me, but the education was certainly acceptable.

Wait, I thought you said the underwater basket weaving degree was good? That's what most people call a philosophy degree. Or was the philosophy degree bad?

-Fox

I'm not entirely sure where you're going here, but...sure!

Last edited by a moderator:
jtrain609 said:
It's not so much zeal as it is being tied down to the house at night when the kiddo is asleep.

Enjoy it though man. And, find an interest in fantasy football and/or hockey. Or, purchase an Xbox 360 and get a few games. Or, find some new musical tastes while browsing beatport or Vevo or YouTube.

Get some whisky and build a taste for a hint of liquor every few evenings.

You know, if you wanted some tips. I've become a pro...lol

If I read this thread and write a 10 pg term paper about its origin, content and importance in life, would I obtain my BS in BS? How about a scientific study on topics in "the lav" for my graduates? And finally, a thesis regarding the sections in "technical talk" for my PhD. Received my free college education from JCUniveristy. Now if the moderators would be so kind as to print my certificate that would be greeeaaat. Legacy airline here we go! :D

JCUniversity "It's your degree and you need it now!"

Last edited:
If I read this thread and write a 10 pg term paper about its origin, content and importance in life, would I obtain my BS in BS? How about a scientific study on topics in "the lav" for my graduates? And finally, a thesis regarding the sections in "technical talk" for my PhD. Received my free college education from JCUniveristy. Now if the moderators would be so kind as to print my certificate that would be greeeaaat. Legacy airline here we go! :D

JCUniversity "It's your degree and you need it now!"

Rofl ^^ times a million

Back