College Degree?

There are some days that I feel that my BS in Aeronautical Science degree is worthless, but I know I'll be glad once I've progressed though my career a bit. Thanks for reaffirming that!

My BS is Professional Aeronautics, feel about the same way. Busted my hump for...? That piece of paper better come in handy somewhere a long the line!

Education...does it make you a better human?

Yes.

Seek enlightenment. Not because you think you need it for a job, but because you need it to be a more well informed member of our global community.

Not everyone can be dimwitted like folks in Alabama and Mississippi.

Also, save yourself the boredom, don't get a BA/BS in aviation anything. Get an education you can use in the event you can no longer advance the throttle, thrust levers, or power lee-vers.

Yeah, a skill that can be utilized in the under appreciated world of real human beings.

Yes.

Seek enlightenment. Not because you think you need it for a job, but because you need it to be a more well informed member of our global community.

Also, save yourself the boredom, don't get a BA/BS in aviation anything. Get an education you can use in the event you can no longer advance the throttle, thrust levers, or power lee-vers.

Yeah, a skill that can be utilized in the under appreciated world of real human beings.
Shack.

If you want to live in the dark, that's great — but I'd really rather not have to spend four days in a confined space with you someone who willfully lives in the dark.

Last edited:
Shack.

If you want to live in the dark, that's great — but I'd really rather not have to spend four days in a confined space with you.

You should know this by now, but I'm actually a pretty cool guy. People like me, and they like having fun with me.

Do you drink? I'll buy you a drink and show you just how awesome I am. Likely, without even touching you. Know what I mean? Yeah you do...dirty dog you.

When do you want to hang out?

My power bills stay paid, oddly enough. Then again, I'm not really killing my fellow man to take his wallet to satisfy my purchasing trends.

You should know this by now, but I'm actually a pretty cool guy. People like me, and they like having fun with me.

Do you drink? I'll buy you a drink and show you just how awesome I am. Likely, without even touching you. Know what I mean? Yeah you do...dirty dog you.

When do you want to hang out?

My power bills stay paid, oddly enough. Then again, I'm not really killing my fellow man to take his wallet to satisfy my purchasing trends.
You see what I'm saying, of course. The learning outcomes of higher education aren't just about "book learnin'" - it should, in theory, equip you to think better, and differently.

And yes, we should do that.

Fo Shizzle Autothrust-zzle.

So then - since you quoted me - and said "you," you (yes, YOU) wouldn't have any problem spending 4-days in a confined space with moi correct?

Edit FTW.

Look at you, growing up so quickly. Is everyone else who joined this forum in 2010 as bright and full of potential as you?

If I wasn't only 5'5" and 150lbs I would be the most well rounded individual around this fine little community, but I'm not one to brag.

I realized early on, well before I left the AF in 07, that if I was going to fly for a living that I had better prepare myself for the "what if" catastrophe of no longer being able to fly. College is a cost, that unfortunately not many can manage, but a cost that has many potential returns. I was a career changer, if you will, even at 23. I can't imagine a career changer in his/her 40's deciding to fly for a living and then sticking themselves to the "aviation" education wall with no out, no other experience, and no other academic enlightenment to help when times get tough.

In short, fly. All the knowledge with aviation - at the operational level, a member will acquire through flying - safely. In regards to academics, and with no other college degree, I strongly advise folks to NOT STUDY AVIATION. Find some other interest (what, you has none? Dull, boring...definitely don't want to spend 4 days with YOU (generic you) in a confined space), and study it academically. For me, it was politics (BS), then communications (MS), and next on my docket - my first "aviation" related degree, however, in a specialized field "safety" (however specialized that can be...).

I dunno - I just hate seeing people "check a box" by going to UVU or ERAU as a mid-life career changer thinking that degree is really going to benefit them. Perhaps I am old fashioned, but I figured people went to institutions of higher learning for self-improvement and enlightenment, not because some airline says I need a degree so lemme do the easiest thing in the world through the most shady sort of education infrastructure ever.

*edit: I am drinking, at 12:45 on a tuesday because I can. My rhetoric and writing skills are not at their peak. Just clearing the air ahead of time, cause I may be here for a little bit...shenanigans abound.

Yes.

That's a ludicrous statement. Absolutely ludicrous. Many of the great human beings I've met have no formal education, and many of the douchebags have four-year degrees.

Does 'enlightenment' come only through education? Does enlightenment come primarily through education? "Is that air you're breathing now?"

. . . words fail. Some of the smartest, kindest, most enlightened people I've ever met have come from Alabama and parts surrounding. Some of the best human beings. How dare you?

I want you to look up 'tautology'. I don't care if your educated self knows the definition. I want you to look it up in the dictionary, and I want you to really absorb the meaning of the word.

-Fox

College is a cost, that unfortunately not many can manage,

Higher education is an incredible opportunity. It's also, in this country, incredibly expensive. It's a massive industry that is struggling to make itself as ubiquitous as health care, lowering the barriers to entry and jacking up the costs. Like healthcare, if it's something that you "must have", the pricing model can rely heavily on the debt you're willing to incur—especially if they sell you on the concept that it'll improve the amount of money you earn.

Find some other interest (what, you has none? Dull, boring...definitely don't want to spend 4 days with YOU (generic you) in a confined space), and study it academically.

I neither agree nor disagree, but I do find some consonance here—at the very least, find and follow your passions, and explore them in any way you can. Of course, for many people—like myself—college is about the worst way to explore an interest. Its clunky, one-size-fits-most, we-need-to-assign-you-a-score style is a real drag when trying to explore a subject that requires no external motivation.

For me, it was politics (BS), then communications (MS), and next on my docket - my first "aviation" related degree, however, in a specialized field "safety" (however specialized that can be...).

Do these things truly enlighten you and make you a better human being? Are you a better representative for the species than a Tibetan monk, a humanitarian worker, a carpenter, a (working) musician, or a person whose single goal in life is simply to be the best parent they could possibly be for their children?

I dunno - I just hate seeing people "check a box"

I couldn't agree more, and that's why I value autodidactism over the course of a passionately lived, lovingly explored life.

.. by going to UVU or ERAU as a mid-life career changer thinking that degree is really going to benefit them.

Well, if it enlightens them and makes them a better human being ... why not just take the cheapest, quickest option that involves the thing that they're the most passionate about?

-Fox

Well then... You've got it all figured out. lol.

I suppose, maybe, when I am finished enjoying an evening with my son I'll go line by line and reply. But, don't be surprised if I don't.

Especially considering the clearly rhetorical question regarding whether I think I am better than the basket of trades you supplied.

As a writer, might I remind you of the context used by the OP and the underlying end goal of most airline pilots.

Last edited:
Well then... You've got it all figured out. lol. I suppose, maybe, when I am finished enjoying an evening with my son I'll go line by line and reply.

Ok, lol.

But, don't be surprised if I don't.

I'll be terribly disappointed, lol.

Especially considering the clearly rhetorical question regarding whether I think I am better than the basket of trades you supplied.

lol.

As a writer, might I remind you of the context used by the OP and the underlying end goal of most airline pilots.

lol?

-Fox

That's a ludicrous statement. Absolutely ludicrous. Many of the great human beings I've met have no formal education, and many of the douchebags have four-year degrees.

Does 'enlightenment' come only through education? Does enlightenment come primarily through education? "Is that air you're breathing now?"

-Fox

The most important stuff I learned during college was usually incidental to classes. Living on my own, working a few different part time jobs, socializing with different people, getting a gun pulled on me, etc. I am not a fan of school, I never have been. But I will say college was great but for reasons other than the official curriculum.

I'm not sure what's controversial about suggesting that higher education isn't for everyone. My college experience was, hands down, the best experience I've ever had, but I'm quite certain that it wouldn't be for everyone, or even most people.

My college experience was, hands down, the best experience I've ever had,

toga.jpg

Heh, well, it was probably a bit more like that than it really should have been. But the the actual value of it, all these weary years of aviation-appliance-operation later, had a lot more to do with figuring out what to be interested in and how to parlay that interest in to, what, "experiences which are fulfilling"? Something like that. My fallback for explaining what's good and virtuous about Education (formal or otherwise) is the old (no doubt oft-chain-emailed, etc etc) David Foster-Wallace commencement address, reproduced here:

http://faculty.winthrop.edu/martinme/Thisiswater.htm

If your grandmother forwarded this to you five years ago and it only makes you want to roll your eyes and throw things at me, feel free to skip! But I think it's a wonderful and damned near profound explanation of what we actually mean when we say "well-educated". YMMV, as always. But I mean, at least it's not "wear sunscreen", so it's got that going for it.

Back