College Degree?

Without a college degree your career potential is "regional captain."
Not on the 135 side. I guess only 121 peeps have replied so far, save SteveC with his very reliant question, but you can do 100k, or maybe a bit better on the 135 side without one. Possibly a lot better. I've yet to see a 135 company really care. I know my company doesn't give 2 craps, but we're certainly not the be all, far far from it, certainly not the worst though, quite far from that as well.

Upper level 91 seems to care a bit more because it helps if you at least have the vocabulary to talk to the people in the back. Or something like that... idk.

You have to figure out what kind of flying you want to do. I just completed my degree while flying, but so far in my career I've never needed it. That's not to say I won't need it one day, and I'm happy I can finally check off that box.

As others have said, you won't be flying at a legacy without one, but if you want to fly charter 135/91 you don't usually need one.

A college degree might not make you a better stick, but it could help with your personnel management skills, or in handling culturally or otherwise sensitive situations in a 121 environment.

...and the further you get along in this business it becomes less and less about physical flying skills. The best pilot I've ever flown with was either a Yale or Harvard grad who made an absolutely horrible landing. Still the best pilot I've ever shared a flight deck with. Just furthering your point @Murdoughnut

Id ask the OP what his career goals are. He's already 40. It took me roughly 8 years from 4 year degree to major interviews, and that was back in the day. So, using that metric, he'd be 52 before even starting to get interviews at a major if he got a degree? I doubt the OP would find that scenario attractive. I'd suggest he limits his career goals to those places that don't require a degree and press on with it.

I think the gist of this is that no, you don't NEED one. But yes, you are limiting yourself on some jobs if you don't have one. My suggestion would be to find a job to build some time and get your degree done there. I did it online while I was flying. I had some transfer credit and if you have that most places will take it. Do your research on online universities because some work well with a flying job and some don't (avoid things like required proctored tests). I personally think given the state of the upcoming pilot retirements that some majors may drop this requirement, but probably not all and I sure wouldn't bet on it.

Also, I'm going to go ahead and be "that guy" that quotes himself.

"A word of advice: While you're out there hustling to figure out a way to duck good advice, and get by with only the bare minimum, I'm out there hustling to get better training and experience while networking myself. If you ever find yourself trying to justify doing the least you possibly can to get by, and think that it will result in you getting ahead, rest assured there are people out there trying to do their absolute best every day.

What's that mean? It means that the folks you are competing against for a job are doing everything they can to BEAT YOU. If you're not doing everything that YOU can do to get ahead by making sure you have that degree, by having a diversified resume and by networking your butt off, THEY will be the ones that are successful.

So when they get the job and you don't, don't be surprised, and don't make excuses.

Instead, start building your future success RIGHT NOW. Go do some work that sets you apart. Make sure you have your degree. Make connections RIGHT NOW even if you're only a private pilot with possible aspirations to fly professionally one day.

Never forget that there are people who are successful, and there are people who make excuses.

Don't make excuses. Instead, use the tools that are available RIGHT HERE to help you get ahead."

http://forums.jetcareers.com/threads/a-word-of-advice.157492/

If I were you age... heck If I were my age (26) without a degree, I'd do it online while flying for a living. You won't NEED it for a a couple years minimum, so knock out two things at the same time since you're time limited. I know I have enough down time in my job I could probably get my masters. And I'd do it if it made any financial sense at all, but it doesn't.

I think the gist of this is that no, you don't NEED one. But yes, you are limiting yourself on some jobs if you don't have one. My suggestion would be to find a job to build some time and get your degree done there. I did it online while I was flying. I had some transfer credit and if you have that most places will take it. Do your research on online universities because some work well with a flying job and some don't (avoid things like required proctored tests). I personally think given the state of the upcoming pilot retirements that some majors may drop this requirement, but probably not all and I sure wouldn't bet on it.

Thank you all for taking the time to reply. This is exactly what I was looking for, plenty of opinions on BOTH sides of the fence. I have been chewing on this hard all weekend, believe me. :)

I actually got in touch with the university that my friend advised me of today, and I am leaning toward going this route while at a regional. ( I still have plenty of time...)

Either way, good, bad, or ugly, I'm doing this............I'm committed, no regrets. I don't care that I'm 40. Too many people piss their life away, and wake up on their death bed with basket full of regret ( with a nice bow on top, of course...), and politely say " Oh Snap!"

Not this cat.

Last edited:
It means that the folks you are competing against for a job are doing everything they can to BEAT YOU. If you're not doing everything that YOU can do to get ahead by making sure you have that degree, by having a diversified resume and by networking your butt off, THEY will be the ones that are successful.

So when they get the job and you don't, don't be surprised, and don't make excuses.

Jesus, you really are a Lawy...I mean Attorney. Life as a zero sum game? The rapacious pursuit of some temporal goal to the detriment of one's interior life? You sound like a football coach, except, you know, scarier. Get ahead of what? Excuses for what?

Jesus, you really are a Lawy...I mean Attorney. Life as a zero sum game? The rapacious pursuit of some temporal goal to the detriment of one's interior life? You sound like a football coach, except, you know, scarier. Get ahead of what? Excuses for what?

You were right the first time, I'm not licensed.

Get ahead in goals that people set for themselves, and then making excuses for why they don't reach those goals. I hear about it at work all the time. You probably would too, but being that you fly single pilot, it'd mean you're schizophrenic,

Thank you all for taking the time to reply. This is exactly what I was looking for, plenty of opinions on BOTH sides of the fence. I have been chewing on this hard all weekend, believe me. :)

I actually got in touch with the university that my friend advised me of today, and I am leaning toward going this route while at a regional. ( I still have plenty of time...)

Either way, good, bad, or ugly, I'm doing this............I'm committed, no regrets. I don't care that I'm 40. Too many people piss their life away, and wake up on their death bed with basket full of regret ( with a nice bow on top, of course...), and politely say " Oh Snap!"

Not this cat.

Hey great to hear your outlook on it. FYI avoid Utah Valley University because they require proctored testing. And make darn sure you ask any other college about that as well. What this equates to is at times instructors will have an exam that's only open for 3 days and requires a proctor. This involves going to a library or something to complete. If in the middle of a 4-day trip or international or whatever you're doing, this could potentially not work and if you can't complete the test you'll get a 0.

Both me and myself would prefer being schizophrenic to viewing the entire experience of human existence as some sort of ludicrous, heartbreaking competition, scored by some imaginary, what, deity? How bizarre. *puzzle*

Well, I don't think any God is keeping score, but I certainly am.

If I wasn't, then why set any goals in life?

If I wasn't, then why set any goals in life?

Dunno. I haven't set any, at least not insofar as I take you to have used the term. *shrug*

Here's something you can take to the bank: I'm not competing with you. Or with anyone else.

PS. Well, aside for finite resources, for which I will cut your throat with nary a thought! :D

Hey great to hear your outlook on it. FYI avoid Utah Valley University because they require proctored testing. And make darn sure you ask any other college about that as well. What this equates to is at times instructors will have an exam that's only open for 3 days and requires a proctor. This involves going to a library or something to complete. If in the middle of a 4-day trip or international or whatever you're doing, this could potentially not work and if you can't complete the test you'll get a 0.

It is actually UVU. He gets back in country on 11/17, and I plan on picking his brain about this place. ( For a long time to come... On many things! Hahah!) He is actually the guy that got me to critical mass.

A good friend of mine's dad is a senior captain at United flying the 777, working 2 weeks a month and making fat cash and he doesn't have a college degree. But he also started with them as a Flight Engineer in the 80's and slowly moved from flying sideways, to flying right seat, then to left seat.

Was he hired May 17, 1985?

Springer
UAL 570

Back