Colgan

I sat down, drank some coffee and chatted with him for about 30 minutes.

He's a pretty straightforward guy under a lot of scrutiny because of the accident.

I'll agree to that. Any time we slip up or anything happens, the Buffalo newspaper is ALL OVER it. They have come out with some very insensitive cartoons and much other things. They just wait for us to slip up. The only way to not be under scrutiny anymore is by going years and years of being professional and safe and by the book.

I'll agree to that. Any time we slip up or anything happens, the Buffalo newspaper is ALL OVER it. They have come out with some very insensitive cartoons and much other things. They just wait for us to slip up. The only way to not be under scrutiny anymore is by going years and years of being professional and safe and by the book.

I think it'll be a lifetime before Buffalo ever forgives Colgan Air for that night.

So do I. The screen name makes me think of a story about a situation that happened at an airline in the US not all that long ago.

Best advice for Colgan Air interview that I can give is to go prepared...Obviously, this isn't a revelation to most of you, but having been involved with this process I can tell you I have seen the full spectrum. If Colgan has called you to interview this time around, it's because they want to hire you vs. just having a slew of applicants that meet the requirements and then weeding them out.
I don't know the exam contents anymore, but I still think it is based off the Gleim ATP book and some "home-grown" questions regarding the Jepp charts and a few others. I don't think that the test is very demanding if you just take the time to do a little studying beforehand.
For the actual interview itself. I would expect that you might see a few systems questions, and most definitely know the the last airplane you flew and if it's a twin I would recommend knowing your engine-out after take-off procedures cold.
The simulator evaluation is "where the rubber meets the road" so to speak, and a mediocre performance on the written/interview can be overcome with a stellar performance in the "box".
A solid scan and attitude instrument flying procedures are essential. The sim is likely to be either the BE-1900D or the 1900C. Not much difference except that the D is an EFIS airplane and the C is not. Also, the visual system and flight modelling uses different computer software and parameters, which if anyone is interested I don't have a clue, so don't ask me...Just what I was told!
We have a good group of guys and gals over here for the most part and the flying is good. Well, at least on the SAAB in the northeast/mid-Atlantic. I cannot speak to the "Q" ( I don't know much about the "Mega-Weedwhacker" or EWR other than I would rather have a root canal without anesthetic than be based in EWR. SAAB in IAH, heard they run a good operation down there and with the new CP, hopefully a more reasonable person approach to personnel management will prevail. Same here in IAD, but the honeymoon hasn't begin here with that.
Finally, there are lots of Colgan pilots on here with a bunch of time on the property that can fill you in on the many questions I am sure I have left unanswered. However, if you want to know some details on the "hundo" sim in LGA or MCO I can try to give you generic answers about it. I can also answer specific questions about IAD, and CRW...and all the lovely EAS markets we serve in the Mountaineer state.
Best of luck to all of you in your Colgan interview experience, and glad to have some new-hires on the property (sucks to be you...j/k). Like I said, great flying...Unless you are in the megawhacker....

Regards,

Ex-Navy Rotorhead

Well the initial vacancy award came out today with the names of those who can expect an upgrade class date / transitions or base transfers.

- IAD is definitely the junior Saab base and EWR for the Q.

- Upgrades at the end of November reach to middle of 2007 hires.

- Current seniority list has around 435 pilots, and the most junior person to get a captain award was at 288.

The way I see it, as long as we do get the 15 new Qs in 2nd quarter of 2011, Ill be right on the edge of upgrade. It will all depends on if a few more people quit / get fired otherwise, figuring 60 CA and 60 FO vacancies for 15 new airframes, I wouldnt upgrade, and I am a 2008 hire.

That means no upgrade until the next 15 airframes, which is in 2013 I believe?? So if you were in the few classes that have just been run, you will probably be a semi-senior FO next summer. If your hired towards the end of this hiring spree for these 15 new aircraft, I wouldn't expect an upgrade until who knows when.

Well the initial vacancy award came out today with the names of those who can expect an upgrade class date / transitions or base transfers.

- IAD is definitely the junior Saab base and EWR for the Q.

- Upgrades at the end of November reach to middle of 2007 hires.

- Current seniority list has around 435 pilots, and the most junior person to get a captain award was at 288.

The way I see it, as long as we do get the 15 new Qs in 2nd quarter of 2011, Ill be right on the edge of upgrade. It will all depends on if a few more people quit / get fired otherwise, figuring 60 CA and 60 FO vacancies for 15 new airframes, I wouldnt upgrade, and I am a 2008 hire.

That means no upgrade until the next 15 airframes, which is in 2013 I believe?? So if you were in the few classes that have just been run, you will probably be a semi-senior FO next summer. If your hired towards the end of this hiring spree for these 15 new aircraft, I wouldn't expect an upgrade until who knows when.

I missed it by 15...so when do I get to upgrade?

Im glad someone around here knows whats going on. So you're saying I should get comfy in my plush right seat for a bit?

USMC-SSGT said:
Im glad someone around here knows whats going on. So you're saying I should get comfy in my plush right seat for a bit?

The way I see it... Yea.

Although this group upgrading now, most had June /July upgrade classes but all got moved to April/may.

Anyone on here have any details about the interviews on the 30th and 1st? I was there beginning at 9am on the 30th and was finished with the drug test around 1pm so I didn't get to talk to many guys.

Anyone on here have any details about the interviews on the 30th and 1st? I was there beginning at 9am on the 30th and was finished with the drug test around 1pm so I didn't get to talk to many guys.

Did they tell you anything? With regard to when the next class is, etc. I know people that did drug testing on April 8th that still haven't heard anything.

They were very vague. First of all when we were done, Sara Martinez said not to expect anything inside of 2 weeks (for the background check, drug test and paperwork) with regards to a class date. Chuck said during the company overview that they are hiring for 1 class in May and up to 4 in June. I know most of the guys from the April interviews still don't have a class date, but I heard from one of my buddies who was in that group said that they told him that he can to expect to hear something this week.

Back