Colgan

Hey guys, i just got an invitation to interview on Monday for the 24th. I'm trying to find out all the info I can get for the interview any and all suggestions will be greatly appreciated. I would also like to know if anyone has a direct link to the most accurate Gouge. Thanks!

-Kev

Congrats! Going in on Tuesday, any advice?

Just be honest, and be yourself. They want you to succeed. For the most part they are not trying to trick you or make you uncomfortable. The only thing I got grilled on to see if I'd budge was the question about weather or not you would let the captan fly if he had a drink within the last 12 hours. Just hold your ground on these types of questions.

After I answered that question they then preceded to ask what I would do if If I had to fly with that same captain on a future flight. They told me that "He" was reprimanded for trying to fly with in 12 hours of the flight and he was not happy with me. In fact he told me to just sit down, shut up, and not touch anything. He would be taking care of everything in the cockpit. What do you do?

Again hold your ground. They will try to push you off your answer. My answer for both was that I would not do anything to jeopardize the safety of the flight, break an FAR, or go against company policy. They kept trying to throw me off with stuff like "It's just one beer, It's not that big of a deal!" Again just hold your ground.

good luck! let me know if you have any other questions!

-Matt

Hey guys, i just got an invitation to interview on Monday for the 24th. I'm trying to find out all the info I can get for the interview any and all suggestions will be greatly appreciated. I would also like to know if anyone has a direct link to the most accurate Gouge. Thanks!

-Kev
Since Mesaba is doing the hiring for Colgan now, the Mesaba gouge is more useful. I found that these were very helpful.

http://www.willflyforfood.com/pilot-interviews/157/Mesaba-Airlines.html

Also the gouge on this forum thread was very good as well.

During my sim eval yesterday they asked me what the highest obstacle was on the (jepp) approach plate was. The guy who ran the sim told me not to worry about checklists or call outs. no flaps either. The only thing he wanted me to change configuration wise, was putting the gear down on glide slope intercept however you were taught to do it.

He also asked me how I could identify the LOM. I told him by the audible tone, the blinking light, the altitude on glide slope when crossing the LOM, and the DME distance form the VOR. The DME distance was what he was looking for. The then asked me what the DME distance was from, the ILS or the VOR. There is no ILS DME so you have to hold the DME from the VOR on the NAV stack and then switch it to the ILS. He explained how to do this and said that if I forgot I could ask him again.

They kind of switched it up on my this time. Instead of using the old single engine arcaic desktop sim that draws your course on a sheet of paper, they had me do the eval in a multi engine Frasca trainer. This has an HSI and a heading bug, which helped me out a lot!

We took off flying runway heading (260) at 400 feet msl. He cleared me to 2500 feet. Then he gave me some vectored headings in the climb out to the north west. Upon reaching 2500 feet, he wanted me to cruse at around 130 kts. THat was what he was looking for, if you can hold an airspeed. The power setting he gave me for 130 was too much. I had to pull back some power.

From here he had me do a steep turn holding 130 kts. I had to had some power to maintain. I apologies, I don't know what the setting was because the manifold pressure guage was on the other side of the instrument panel. I just added power until the plane stopped decelerating.

It's a touchy sim! I used my left hand only with very light pressure. Make small moves and corrections. The elevator trim was helpful in holding altitude but again make small adjustments to I as it is very sensitive.

From here he told me he had a loss of radar contact and I needed to give him a position report. He wanted the radial I was on and what my DME distance was as well as what heading I would need to hold to stay on that radian TO the station. He changed the VOR frequency to a random one for this.

He then gave me a vector to the ILS and told me to slow to 110 kts. There is a big placard that says Vle is 120 kts. So make sure you are below 120 before you try to put the gear down. He then paused the sim and told me to take as much time as I needed to brief the approach. I realized that the DH was the same as the field elevation and pointed that out. He told me to just add 200 feet to the field elevation and use that as my DH.

He told me that If I think I need to go missed at any time during the approach that it's ok (ie full scale deflection). I should just do the published missed and hold. After crossing the LOM he asked me what to do if the the weather went below minimums.

Once we got down to mins, he told me the eval was over. They sent me to get drug tested and that was that.

Hope this helps

let me know if you have any more questions

Also I got the offer from Mesaba this time not Colgan. I'm not sure what the deal was.

-Matt

Since Mesaba is doing the hiring for Colgan now, the Mesaba gouge is more useful. I found that these were very helpful.

http://www.willflyforfood.com/pilot-interviews/157/Mesaba-Airlines.html

Also the gouge on this forum thread was very good as well.

During my sim eval yesterday they asked me what the highest obstacle was on the (jepp) approach plate was. The guy who ran the sim told me not to worry about checklists or call outs. no flaps either. The only thing he wanted me to change configuration wise, was putting the gear down on glide slope intercept however you were taught to do it.

He also asked me how I could identify the LOM. I told him by the audible tone, the blinking light, the altitude on glide slope when crossing the LOM, and the DME distance form the VOR. The DME distance was what he was looking for. The then asked me what the DME distance was from, the ILS or the VOR. There is no ILS DME so you have to hold the DME from the VOR on the NAV stack and then switch it to the ILS. He explained how to do this and said that if I forgot I could ask him again.

They kind of switched it up on my this time. Instead of using the old single engine arcaic desktop sim that draws your course on a sheet of paper, they had me do the eval in a multi engine Frasca trainer. This has an HSI and a heading bug, which helped me out a lot!

We took off flying runway heading (260) at 400 feet msl. He cleared me to 2500 feet. Then he gave me some vectored headings in the climb out to the north west. Upon reaching 2500 feet, he wanted me to cruse at around 130 kts. THat was what he was looking for, if you can hold an airspeed. The power setting he gave me for 130 was too much. I had to pull back some power.

From here he had me do a steep turn holding 130 kts. I had to had some power to maintain. I apologies, I don't know what the setting was because the manifold pressure guage was on the other side of the instrument panel. I just added power until the plane stopped decelerating.

It's a touchy sim! I used my left hand only with very light pressure. Make small moves and corrections. The elevator trim was helpful in holding altitude but again make small adjustments to I as it is very sensitive.

From here he told me he had a loss of radar contact and I needed to give him a position report. He wanted the radial I was on and what my DME distance was as well as what heading I would need to hold to stay on that radian TO the station. He changed the VOR frequency to a random one for this.

He then gave me a vector to the ILS and told me to slow to 110 kts. There is a big placard that says Vle is 120 kts. So make sure you are below 120 before you try to put the gear down. He then paused the sim and told me to take as much time as I needed to brief the approach. I realized that the DH was the same as the field elevation and pointed that out. He told me to just add 200 feet to the field elevation and use that as my DH.

He told me that If I think I need to go missed at any time during the approach that it's ok (ie full scale deflection). I should just do the published missed and hold. After crossing the LOM he asked me what to do if the the weather went below minimums.

Once we got down to mins, he told me the eval was over. They sent me to get drug tested and that was that.

Hope this helps

let me know if you have any more questions

Also I got the offer from Mesaba this time not Colgan. I'm not sure what the deal was.

-Matt

Lots of thanks, big help.

Any one go to the May 31st interview get a call back yet? How long does it normally take? I got a conditional offer but no confirmation call on when training for me starts.

Back