GoJet Dispatcher Opening?

presstabquick

Howdy all, I've recently earned my aircraft dispatcher license. A few days prior to my check ride I was sure I was going to pass, and obviously I did. So I put my application in for GoJet's posting since they are local to me. It shows posted over 30 days ago, which I take as a negative sign. I'm honestly not worried about not standing out as a candidate, I hold two other FAA certifications and have three years experience within the aviation field. Does anybody have any insight as to their hiring outlook or hiring outlook for other airlines. Also, it would be much appreciated if anyone could refer me to study material to prep for regional airline dispatch interviews. Thanks yall!

I graduated a few months back and during that time GoJet, Mesa and PSA were open and today they still are so I’m not really sure how that works.

Maybe someone can provide a more streamlined guide to interviews. Probably would be helpful for a lot of us going through the job seeking process, but I did find this.

I graduated a few months back and during that time GoJet, Mesa and PSA were open and today they still are so I’m not really sure how that works.

Maybe someone can provide a more streamlined guide to interviews. Probably would be helpful for a lot of us going through the job seeking process, but I did find this.

Thank you sir.

The posting stays up as long as it does because it is difficult to convince people to move to Missouri. At least that's the answer I got from the SOC manager when I was there a year ago. We were losing people left and right to the majors and we couldn't hire/train fast enough. I suspect that's part of the reason they increased the pay from $20 to $22 an hour last year.

Edit: We would also lose people during ground school to other regionals. This might be why the posting stays up until a class is done with ground school & OJT.

The posting stays up as long as it does because it is difficult to convince people to move to Missouri. At least that's the answer I got from the SOC manager when I was there a year ago. We were losing people left and right to the majors and we couldn't hire/train fast enough. I suspect that's part of the reason they increased the pay from $20 to $22 an hour last year.

Edit: We would also lose people during ground school to other regionals. This might be why the posting stays up until a class is done with ground school & OJT.
Interesting, well my application is in and here's to hoping they pull it soon! I'm local to gojet so there's no moving involved for me and I wouldent have any plans on leaving. That is unless, the if and when situation of a major calling would come around.

They would only need to keep it up until day 1 of ground school. You can't bring on someone new after the start because even 1 week, they'd be behind everyone else. We lost a couple to other airlines at Skywest during training and I know, it would be totally impossible to fill that seat with someone new from the applicant pile because they're so far behind everyone else they'd never make it up. Maybe they are keeping it up to create an applicant pool for when a class does open. I don't know. I applied to them a month and a half ago and never heard anything - and at that time the posting was already old.

I don't disagree that they lost people left and right but 2024 is a whole different game. People aren't able to move up to american, Southwest, United, Allegiant, and others so I think they will lose fewer people and thus less need for new classes. Its a snowball effect that will make it all the way down to the very bottom of the dispatch ladder.

They would only need to keep it up until day 1 of ground school. You can't bring on someone new after the start because even 1 week, they'd be behind everyone else. We lost a couple to other airlines at Skywest during training and I know, it would be totally impossible to fill that seat with someone new from the applicant pile because they're so far behind everyone else they'd never make it up. Maybe they are keeping it up to create an applicant pool for when a class does open. I don't know. I applied to them a month and a half ago and never heard anything - and at that time the posting was already old.

I don't disagree that they lost people left and right but 2024 is a whole different game. People aren't able to move up to american, Southwest, United, Allegiant, and others so I think they will lose fewer people and thus less need for new classes. Its a snowball effect that will make it all the way down to the very bottom of the dispatch ladder.
You're most likely correct that leaving the posting open might be a way for them to build a candidate pool. It is crazy how every airline couldn't get people through the door fast enough back then, but now the tide has shifted, and they can afford to leave applicants in limbo.

Seems we've all come on at a bad time with no telling as to when anyone will be given an opportunity. For the past couple years I've heard nothing but it will be easy to get on. Especially with my resume I was never worried about getting an opportunity, given I had a good interview and such. I understand the industry is extremely cyclical though. If my educated guessing has any merit, maybe we will be looking at a late summer/early fall opening for most regionals.

Seems we've all come on at a bad time with no telling as to when anyone will be given an opportunity. For the past couple years I've heard nothing but it will be easy to get on. Especially with my resume I was never worried about getting an opportunity, given I had a good interview and such. I understand the industry is extremely cyclical though. If my educated guessing has any merit, maybe we will be looking at a late summer/early fall opening for most regionals.
Basically it's a return to relatively normal hiring. Majors doing a class a year or so, maybe more maybe less. Regionals picking up people at a higher rate but not 100 in a year.

I wouldn't call it bad, just normal. The last few years have been crazy high levels of movement, it needed to calm.

SkyWest is still a great place to start!

As mentioned before, it is cyclical. Some things to look forward to are when UA and WN start taking on larger plane orders again. There’s a massive backlog and the production rate should pick up once that one company in WA irons out their issues with the FAA. There’s also retirements. A sizable chunk of dispatchers are expected to retire over the next decade.

Take the first gig you can and work your way from there. There’s definitely a lot of lateral movement from regional to regional happening at this moment due to the majors lulling their hiring. Now freshly minted dispatchers are having to compete against those with a bit of experience. It’s a zoo out there for sure, and I don’t envy anyone having to get their foot in the door at their first shop.

I just wish the Dispatcher mills would prep their classes for the market ahead and maybe not churn out a class of 10-20 every other month without setting the proper expectations.

As mentioned before, it is cyclical. Some things to look forward to are when UA and WN start taking on larger plane orders again. There’s a massive backlog and the production rate should pick up once that one company in WA irons out their issues with the FAA. There’s also retirements. A sizable chunk of dispatchers are expected to retire over the next decade.

Take the first gig you can and work your way from there. There’s definitely a lot of lateral movement from regional to regional happening at this moment due to the majors lulling their hiring. Now freshly minted dispatchers are having to compete against those with a bit of experience. It’s a zoo out there for sure, and I don’t envy anyone having to get their foot in the door at their first shop.

I just wish the Dispatcher mills would prep their classes for the market ahead and maybe not churn out a class of 10-20 every other month without setting the proper expectations.
Could you elaborate on that last paragraph? Just curious.

Could you elaborate on that last paragraph? Just curious.
They push through over 20 people per class per school every couple months and tell them all they’re gonna have a job offer at a regional before they've even passed their practical. That was legit a couple years ago but those days are over for now. It’s just not big enough of a field for that amount of people per year

They push through over 20 people per class per school every couple months and tell them all they’re gonna have a job offer at a regional before they've even passed their practical. That was legit a couple years ago but those days are over for now. It’s just not big enough of a field for that amount of people per year
what he said. I honestly hope nothing but the best for anyone trying to get their first job in this field. There’s so many avenues you can go through once you get your feet wet. In 2021/ 2022 people had multiple offers from various regionals before they even did their O&P. Now it’s not so much. It’s “normalized” as those with more experience have described it.

I was personally hired onto my first gig in 22 and just got to my next, higher paying shop this year. I feel like I caught the last train out of dodge to be honest. I haven’t been in this industry long enough yet to see a full “hire-to furlough” cycle yet, though. From what I’ve heard, I wouldn’t expect any of the big boys to send out a posting until the fall/winter going into 25 considering most have wrapped up their hiring in the recent months.

Yes the money is higher at a major. If QOL is important than a regional, supplemental or LCC might offer better QOL because seniority advances quicker than at a major. So many younger dispatchers have been hired over the past ten years and with newer flight planning systems likely to increase workload long term, you are looking at a long duration on junior desks and schedules.

Promotions to management are very rare in dispatch. Most leave when they retire or die. At AA, we have hired around 360 or so dispatchers over the past ten years. We have 558 total on the list. Most of the 360 hired are younger than 40. This means for about the next 25-35 years the top 360 spots will be out of reach for new hires. A long stay on midnights, relief, east coast domestic is likely as is getting the days off and vacation that nobody else wants.

Im not saying not to do it but if you are in your 20s or early 30s, theres some value to enjoying youth while you still have it. If you are older than 40 then theres value in considering if this is what you want your the remaining work years to be like. In either case, there should be no rush to make it to a major if QOL is important. You will get paid at a major but it will come at a cost.

Yes the money is higher at a major. If QOL is important than a regional, supplemental or LCC might offer better QOL because seniority advances quicker than at a major. So many younger dispatchers have been hired over the past ten years and with newer flight planning systems likely to increase workload long term, you are looking at a long duration on junior desks and schedules.

Promotions to management are very rare in dispatch. Most leave when they retire or die. At AA, we have hired around 360 or so dispatchers over the past ten years. We have 558 total on the list. Most of the 360 hired are younger than 40. This means for about the next 25-35 years the top 360 spots will be out of reach for new hires. A long stay on midnights, relief, east coast domestic is likely as is getting the days off and vacation that nobody else wants.

Im not saying not to do it but if you are in your 20s or early 30s, theres some value to enjoying youth while you still have it. If you are older than 40 then theres value in considering if this is what you want your the remaining work years to be like. In either case, there should be no rush to make it to a major if QOL is important. You will get paid at a major but it will come at a cost.
There is truth to this, but I think the QOL to pay tradeoff decision is limited to LCCs and maybe some cargo shops like Atlas compared to majors. Some of them have better schedules, more desirable locations (to some) and certainly faster seniority. For pay that is at least liveable if not living the high life.

But I'd take regionals off that list. Both QOL and pay are quite a bit worse. East coast domestic may be a less desirable desk at majors, but some regionals are all east coast domestic, on a 4-3 10 hrs schedule, all for 1/3 of the pay and double the amount of flights. Get in, get experience, get out ASAP. Don't linger.

I'm not sure the slowdown was really foreseeable when this group of fresh dispatch certificates started their courses.

there was maybe a 5 or 6 month lead on this slowdown...and most people started planning to attend their dispatch school around 5 to 8 months ago.

Back