Chinook crash video...

I have seen that before, it is a few years old but still amazing. I always wondered if the guy in the fwd door thought about jumping out onto the boat when they started falling back?

When I went through dunker training I met the crewchief you see there in the window... pretty amazing tale.

ChinookDriver said:
When I went through dunker training I met the crewchief you see there in the window... pretty amazing tale.

what happened?

I knew it was a Sea Knight, I thought it was a Sea King.

The CH-46 was part of a mock assault and boarding of a destroyer. As you can see in the video they misjudged their aproach and landed wiht one wheel off the deck. The wheel got caught on the safety net surrounding the deck and caused the aircraft to roll over.

One of the crew chiefs on board died. His flotation gear was found, but he was not. It is belived that he swam back into the cabin to look for anybody left inside.

I forget which squadron they were from but I knew several guys who went through school with him.

And back! And I see USMCMech already answered the question! Just to add to it, one of the big lessons learned from that incident (besides shooting an appropriate approach speed) was the need for dunker training for all aviators and those who frequently ride in helicopters. The facilities they have down at Ft Rucker are awesome. They have a full mock up of all the helicopter cockpits and crew/ pax areas and drop you into a pool, roll you upside down, and make you egress with your eyes closed. The very first time you do it, it's an alarming experience. You don't know up from down. Many people successfully get out of the cockpit, but swim the wrong way (down!). But by the end of the second day it's easy and actually a little fun.

ChinookDriver said:
And back! And I see USMCMech already answered the question! Just to add to it, one of the big lessons learned from that incident (besides shooting an appropriate approach speed) was the need for dunker training for all aviators and those who frequently ride in helicopters. The facilities they have down at Ft Rucker are awesome. They have a full mock up of all the helicopter cockpits and crew/ pax areas and drop you into a pool, roll you upside down, and make you egress with your eyes closed. The very first time you do it, it's an alarming experience. You don't know up from down. Many people successfully get out of the cockpit, but swim the wrong way (down!). But by the end of the second day it's easy and actually a little fun.

Just to add, approach angle was another learning point. The CH-46 made a shallow approach which caused the wheel to get caught on the rail.

Also true... saw some 46s zippin around Mosul one day. Their approaches were just like that... super fast and shallow. They also taxiied dangerously fast. Wonder if its just their culture? Something else interesting is that their crew chiefs are not mechanics.

ChinookDriver said:
Something else interesting is that their crew chiefs are not mechanics.

Say again?

USMC crewchiefs ARE mechanics, almost always from the flight line division. They are responsible for doing the daily and turnaround inspections, anything in flight, and much more.

USMCmech said:
Say again?

USMC crewchiefs ARE mechanics, almost always from the flight line division. They are responsible for doing the daily and turnaround inspections, anything in flight, and much more.
Doesn't the Navy have 46s too? I think these were Navy and I swear the crew chief I talked to said they were not mechanics... I've been known to be wrong before, but that's what I remember.

Could be my PTSD kicking in, though.:insane:

ChinookDriver said:
Doesn't the Navy have 46s too? I think these were Navy and I swear the crew chief I talked to said they were not mechanics... I've been known to be wrong before, but that's what I remember.

Could be my PTSD kicking in, though.:insane:

Yes, the Navy has (or had, not sure if they've decomm'ed the rest) 46's. We loved seeing them on approach in the Ditch. They brought us the mail!! Long live the Desert Ducks!!! Not sure if their crew chiefs were mechanics, though.

Yes, the Navy has (or had, not sure if they've decomm'ed the rest) 46's. We loved seeing them on approach in the Ditch. They brought us the mail!! Long live the Desert Ducks!!! Not sure if their crew chiefs were mechanics, though.

Um, the Desert Ducks out of Bahrain flew H-3 Sea Kings. Good friend of mine was in the squadron around the 87-98 time frame. Flew SH-60B's myself...

Um, the Desert Ducks out of Bahrain flew H-3 Sea Kings. Good friend of mine was in the squadron around the 87-98 time frame. Flew SH-60B's myself...

Thanks, sorry about mixing the types up...still love those guys/gals!! I was there in Oct 99-Feb 00.

I'm pretty sure there crewchiefs are not mechanics. We have seahawk land at FBG all the time and if the guy in the back is actually a crewchief he doesnt do much. They have a team of like 5 guys come out each time a bird lands and takes off. Didn't talk to them but it looks like all one guy does is puts the chocks in, another signals for engine start and shutdown, another for taxing, and I asume the others are the mechanics.

Back