Hawker 900XP down, 2/7/24

I remember when Vegas was “cheap” to get you in, seems like everything else Covid they’ve changed the model to be “premium tax for the Vegas name”.

Granted it was Shot show, AVN and Concrete expo when I was there last, but the appeal just isn’t there for me anymore. No desire to spend $200+ a night on a standard room - to go blow 1k on a dinner for 2 and another $500 for modest seats at a show.

Bizarre. That was the last time I was in Vegas as well.

I flew with someone who looked at me blankly when I quoted “Airplane!” That’s all I have to say about kids these days.

I was mortified when I did the same thing during my new hire class at the regional and the only two guys who got it had already aged out and were coming through training as sim instructors.

Don't feel bad. My SO had no idea what I was talking about when I said the Lama was a big hitter.

Well. You've got that going for you. Which is nice.

It gets worse.
If The Passion of the Christ were made today, it would take place in 53
If The Ten Commandments were made today, it would take place in 1379 B.C.
Worst of all, if The Land Before Time were made today, it would take place in 69,497,940 B.C.!
If Tropic Thunder was made today…oh wait

What was the quote? Not sure I'd get Dumb and Dumber. I'd get Caddyshack, Airplane, Fletch, and Monty Python. Damn I'm old....
That would explain the smell of elderberries.

I think that those of us who grew up with those shows don't grasp how fringe Monty Python or even SNL was for the time.

The quality of newcomers may seem good from the cockpit (which is comforting) but from my side of the radio there has been a dramatic drop since the post-Covid hiring boom, and not just in the regionals.
From your side of the mic, you're used to dealing with people who have been around the block a time or two in professional flying and understand concepts like "EDCT."

You have a drop in experience in the flight deck, but experience and quality aren't the same thing.

I fly with a lot of new pilots who, while good at what they do, don't really understand the flow or pace of operations. As an example, I see a lot of new pilots going full boards with ATC-assigned (non-urgent) speed reductions, crossing restrictions, even their own decisions to slow. This isn't unsafe, but it's uncomfortable (in my jet, at least), so I treat it as a "if the tone is right" debrief item. It's preferable to the "touch the boards and you buy me a beer" attitude, but it's indicative of a larger problem, which is that a lot of the standards of energy management, descent planning, and passenger comfort aren't quite there yet ... and a lot of new FOs become new CAs without much seasoning, so it's a bit "green on green," from my POV.

That said, a lot of bad stuff is dying too, and the actual liability is there for most of my FOs.

From your side of the mic, you're used to dealing with people who have been around the block a time or two in professional flying and understand concepts like "EDCT."

For now I’d just be happy if they understood the concept of “listening”. The amount of times I’m having guys go through the localizer (which then completely •s the sequence behind them for the next 40 minutes) because they don’t hear the 3 approach clearances I give them has gotten ridiculous.

You have a drop in experience in the flight deck, but experience and quality aren't the same thing.

I fly with a lot of new pilots who, while good at what they do, don't really understand the flow or pace of operations. As an example, I see a lot of new pilots going full boards with ATC-assigned (non-urgent) speed reductions, crossing restrictions, even their own decisions to slow. This isn't unsafe, but it's uncomfortable (in my jet, at least), so I treat it as a "if the tone is right" debrief item. It's preferable to the "touch the boards and you buy me a beer" attitude, but it's indicative of a larger problem, which is that a lot of the standards of energy management, descent planning, and passenger comfort aren't quite there yet ... and a lot of new FOs become new CAs without much seasoning, so it's a bit "green on green," from my POV.

That said, a lot of bad stuff is dying too, and the actual liability is there for most of my FOs.

You guys keep describing me, and NOT in a good light!!! :)

Seriously though, sometimes I'm still trying to figure out WTF is going on in terms of the flow kinda stuff you mention. I think I get the energy management/descent planning stuff, since that isn't incredibly different from what I was previously used to. But major airports, all the stuff on the ground, it's starting to make sense, but I don't have that "I know what they want" level of experience that a guy with a decade banging in and out of (say) ORD 5 times a day at the regionals does. I think I'm trainable, but you're right, that zen doesn't come out of NH training. Don't get me started on things like the ILS "profile" that you will only ever fly once a year, during recurrent.

Back