Youtuber Fatal Crash

In this case, the pilot-in-command wasn't adequately trained in the operation of the Autopilot...Among some other basic airmanship deficiencies.

Nobody ever thinks of it, but there are so many ways to use home flight sims to train on avionics that you’d otherwise only get to use in the air. When I transitioned to the SR20 I found a payware version on FSX that featured the Avidyne package with near full functionality. I had never used 430s before so I was able to add an additional payware version of these - mostly so I could figure out how to enter and edit waypoints and plug in approaches.

I also downloaded the software version of the GTN 750 when I moved to the Bonanza, but could have bought a physical replica too. No guarantee the AP she was dealing with had that option, but you’d be surprised.

Nobody ever thinks of it, but there are so many ways to use home flight sims to train on avionics that you’d otherwise only get to use in the air.

I certainly thought of it, and I'd bet I'm not the only one. I used FSX with some eye-wateringly expensive add-on to learn Boeing VNAV. Results were maybe a bit "mixed" due to all of the configuration issues and soforth, but I think I probably had a leg up on the other guys who had just done the CBTs.

In any case, though, I think it should be basically a no-brainer for airlines to pay two-guys-in-a-basement to engineer an interactive home simulation for their new hires as avionics become increasingly capable (but also complex).

A propos to nothing, but I did CQ12 last week, and the section about the various flavors and capabilities of CPDLC made my eyes glaze over like freezing drizzle. And it was presented as sort of like a "refresher". Like, "so you OBVIOUSLY know about the difference between FANS1, FANS1/A, FANS B, B+..."

How the hell would I know about any of that? I'm in my 40s. I still think GPS is probably the work of Satan.

I certainly thought of it, and I'd bet I'm not the only one. I used FSX with some eye-wateringly expensive add-on to learn Boeing VNAV. Results were maybe a bit "mixed" due to all of the configuration issues and soforth, but I think I probably had a leg up on the other guys who had just done the CBTs.

In any case, though, I think it should be basically a no-brainer for airlines to pay two-guys-in-a-basement to engineer an interactive home simulation for their new hires as avionics become increasingly capable (but also complex).

A propos to nothing, but I did CQ12 last week, and the section about the various flavors and capabilities of CPDLC made my eyes glaze over like freezing drizzle. And it was presented as sort of like a "refresher". Like, "so you OBVIOUSLY know about the difference between FANS1, FANS1/A, FANS B, B+..."

How the hell would I know about any of that? I'm in my 40s. I still think GPS is probably the work of Satan.

An employer bought me the RealSimGear G1000 suite but went bankrupt before my first flight. These add-ons are a game-changer.

Speaking of sims, I was spending too much time messing around with mine, much to my GF’s dismay.

A few months ago she once again showed me she’s the best. She raided my junior airline pilot wings collection and put together a 1970’s flight attendant outfit.

I’m easily distracted and probably a liability in the cockpit.

An employer bought me the RealSimGear G1000 suite but went bankrupt before my first flight. These add-ons are a game-changer.

Speaking of sims, I was spending too much time messing around with mine, much to my GF’s dismay.

A few months ago she once again showed me she’s the best. She raided my junior airline pilot wings collection and put together a 1970’s flight attendant outfit.

I’m easily distracted and probably a liability in the cockpit.

Oh, the employer. What a nut.

Software guy that wrote some transportation logistics software was able to attract some investors with promises that he was going to take his company public within five years.

His insurance company and investors required him to fly with a commercial pilot. I was hoping to be his company pilot, as he was buying a KingAir.

He bought an old C90, everything was timed out. I think he bought it on Barnstormers.

Learning from his mistakes, he bought a really nice G1000 C-182 and never made a payment. His investors quickly cut their losses and pulled out.

He ghosted me so I ran up a few big bar tabs. Woodford for all my friends, barkeep. A couple of weeks later, the card was cancelled.

So, that’s how I came to acquire my G1000 add-on for my sim.

He ghosted me so I ran up a few big bar tabs. Woodford for all my friends, barkeep. A couple of weeks later, the card was cancelled.

So, that’s how I came to acquire my G1000 add-on for my sim.

Is there a function to set an alert when you get a new job? "Eagle Rare, neat. If it's less than half-full, I want another. Put it on his tab".

Mag Bar. Old punk nostalgia. Louisville punk scene has kinda died out. Some straight edge kids with jobs kept it going for quite a few years .

It's still there, and the bartenders still sneer at you when you order a drink and are over ~30. But I agree that the quality of music has declined substantially, such that they probably aren't really authorized to sneer as much, anymore. Everyone (well, ok, everyone who KNOWS, which was a damned few to start with) about Slint, but Rodan? RODAN? Good bands don't even stop here anymore, it's like maybe they stop in St. Louis and then on to the East Coast. We coulda been a Contender!

It's still there, and the bartenders still sneer at you when you order a drink and are over ~30. But I agree that the quality of music has declined substantially, such that they probably aren't really authorized to sneer as much, anymore. Everyone (well, ok, everyone who KNOWS, which was a damned few to start with) about Slint, but Rodan? RODAN? Good bands don't even stop here anymore, it's like maybe they stop in St. Louis and then on to the East Coast. We coulda been a Contender!

Hard to beat the DC scene of my youth. Punk meets Go-Go, meets Metal, meets Punk.

Zanzibar was a cool little place, too. That owner had another club on the same block.

The owner has a warehouse of pinball machines and arcade games across the street.

Last show I saw there was All Them Witches.
I think Zanzibar is still there. I'll find out someday when I break cover searching for tinned dog-food in the After Times.

Back