Hawker 900XP down, 2/7/24

SteveC

"Laconic"
Staff member
Stole this from someone who stole it from someone (numerous news stories verify crash, 2 deaths):

IMG_0427.jpeg

Someone posted the radar track:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dpD5JP1CTkg

Looks like it might be operated by Clay Lacy (or else they’re just advertising it…):

I wonder if it was a post maintenance stall test. Common on the hawker.
I think so, from another forum when they received their clearance the crew requested to pass a message to departure that they would be requesting a block altitude for post maintenance air work in the high teens.

Explain like I’m 5 for the rest of us?

There is a maintenance event of the hawker series that requires a stall test afterwards. As we know, stalls in a swept wing jet are often discouraged, but this is mandatory on the Hawker.

The aircraft in question departed an airport with a large MRO on the field, plus the flight aware track = stall test.

I just declined my company request to do a stall test on our hawker 900. I have done one in the past when young and dumb. No more. I have been told that the stall test is docile until it is not. Once it is not then it is major and I have been told it may take over 20,000 feet to recover.

Yes hawker stall tests a commonly required. Any time the leading edge comes off. Also the leading edge must come off to do any tks work in the wing.

Sure, but again, I’m just curious how often this happens. Is it a maneuver that you practice in the sim at recurrent or anything? Or just kind of a “oh Corpies….” and send it?
there are people that offer their services to do this very thing, I went along once as SIC and recorded all the info as the former Raytheon flight test pilot did the stall tests.
It was fun, and a good experience…. I’m glad I didn’t YOLO it.

I have never been trained in the sim. Every sim ride is to the shaker and recover. I have been asked many times to do the test and never was shown a written procedure or what to expect when things go wrong.

there are people that offer their services to do this very thing, I went along once as SIC and recorded all the info as the former Raytheon flight test pilot did the stall tests.
It was fun, and a good experience…. I’m glad I didn’t YOLO it.
Recorded as in a video recording? That would be cool to see.

Recorded as in a video recording? That would be cool to see.

Nope, I had a clip board with test cards to fill out, the guy that did the flight was really thorough and made sure I knew what to watch for and make note of.

Some Lears require stall tests with factory approved test pilots if too many leading edge attaching screws are removed. The only times I recall removing Lear leading edges would have been a "12-year" inspection, but we'd also completely remove the wing. We always had to have an approved test pilot come out and put it through the full flight envelope after we reassembled everything. I never went on any of the rides but apparently things could get pretty hairy. The cool thing about doing that is some these contract test pilots were retired factory pilots and sometimes they'd be reunited with an airplane they'd made the airplanes very first flight in. Such was the case with a LR28 I happened to be involved in, we did all of the work and presented to the test pilot. He was very happy to have a chance to fly this airplane again. He took it up stalled it a bunch of times and came back and reported that one wing was falling off too soon, then he suggested we adjust the spoiler control rod by one turn. Then he took it back up and repeated his test sequence and came back and suggested that perhaps the first adjustment was a bit too aggressive and perhaps if we backed that control rod off by a 1/4 turn it might be perfect, so we did and off he went again into the wild blue yonder. This time when he landed he said the airplane handled perfectly and signed the log entry. Now I'm not entirely sure if he was as much of a perfectionist as he seemed to be or perhaps he just really liked flying a LR28 again on someone elses dime. LR28, look it up.

Back