The Hawker Predecessor

knot4u

Repeat Offender
This is why Hawkers are beautifully designed steampunk versions of jets. For some reason the British always want to reinvent the wheel. I hate Hawkers, but I'll never say they're a bad airplane. We've all heard the stories of engineers getting real particular when the threats of layoffs started. Perhaps some of those Fairey folks ended up at Hawker? I haven't touched a rotorcraft in a couple of decades,@MikeD I'd appreciate your input.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nhaa0HofBc0

I think I’ve watched a few of this guy’s other videos, and liked his style

Also this aircraft, if you call it that, looks like a disaster of flying blades and chopped up people, waiting to happen

I think I’ve watched a few of this guy’s other videos, and liked his style

Also this aircraft, if you call it that, looks like a disaster of flying blades and chopped up people, waiting to happen
It looks like it should be painted as a giant warning label.

If you consider the noise a TPE-331 makes offensive (I do) and you haven't spent much time around Rolls Royce Darts it's just the same noise except bigger and even more offensive, add in some weird little jets at the end of the rotors multiplied four times and that flying contraption must've rivaled the XF-84 Thundrscreech. That airplane would literally make people lose their stomach contents and bowels if they were too close too it when it was running. Hard to do a leak check I'd imagine.

If you consider the noise a TPE-331 makes offensive (I do) and you haven't spent much time around Rolls Royce Darts it's just the same noise except bigger and even more offensive, add in some weird little jets at the end of the rotors multiplied four times and that flying contraption must've rivaled the XF-84 Thundrscreech. That airplane would literally make people lose their stomach contents and bowels if they were too close too it when it was running. Hard to do a leak check I'd imagine.

XF-84 is the one with the counter rotating inline (same shaft) props that spun fast enough and were long enough that the tips moved at supersonic speed, and it landed vertically on its tail right? Thanks Discovery Wings/Great Planes for teaching me that 35 years ago :)

This is why Hawkers are beautifully designed steampunk versions of jets. For some reason the British always want to reinvent the wheel. I hate Hawkers, but I'll never say they're a bad airplane. We've all heard the stories of engineers getting real particular when the threats of layoffs started. Perhaps some of those Fairey folks ended up at Hawker? I haven't touched a rotorcraft in a couple of decades,@MikeD I'd appreciate your input.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nhaa0HofBc0
Great video!! Thanks!

XF-84 is the one with the counter rotating inline (same shaft) props that spun fast enough and were long enough that the tips moved at supersonic speed, and it landed vertically on its tail right? Thanks Discovery Wings/Great Planes for teaching me that 35 years ago :)
The XF-84 was a test bed to try to figure out supersonic propellers, I think you've conflated it with the X-13. Back then you'd just ask congress for $500000 and go for it, it was literally the Wild West up in Palmdale. I've spent some time with some of the folks that were involved in some of these "experiments", they always talk about the "good old days" when they were able to just build, try, fail, learn and then try again.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rXm_vf_8p5k

Back