Hawker 900XP down, 2/7/24

The quality of newcomers may seem good from the cockpit (which is comforting) but from my side of the radio there has been a dramatic drop since the post-Covid hiring boom, and not just in the regionals.

Is that this official assessment of the meowing?

For a variety of messed up reasons, I get to interact with the new hires at a particular airline. I'm very concerned. I'm really not meaning to be an arrogant, condescending ass-hat. I just see what see. It's freaking scary.

Real pilots should NOT be trained by rote. Their job is not to flip the switches in the correct order for the correct amount of time. Their job is to be able to continue to fly the airplane while fixing the stuff that just broke. It's ALL automation these days. Right up until it's NOT. Only then do you really even need a pilot.
I flew with someone who looked at me blankly when I quoted “Airplane!” That’s all I have to say about kids these days.

I flew with someone who looked at me blankly when I quoted “Airplane!” That’s all I have to say about kids these days.

Don't feel bad. My SO had no idea what I was talking about when I said the Lama was a big hitter.

I literally just today got a blank stare from one of our new kids when I quoted Dumb and Dumber
Yup. So, you know, good luck avoiding the ceiling-float reflex when they're presented with
{\displaystyle F_{\rm {d}}}
=
1/2
{\displaystyle \rho }
{\displaystyle u}
^2
{\displaystyle c_{\rm {d}}}
{\displaystyle A}

I used to occasionally tell people that fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life. I stopped when I realized I was the only one in on the joke. Kids these days, no sense of history.

I used to occasionally tell people that fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life. I stopped when I realized I was the only one in on the joke. Kids these days, no sense of history.
It's not just the kids, though. The lacunae are endemic.

It's not just the kids, though. The lacunae are endemic.
I agree it's an odd time, but I think back on my parents and how they rejected their parents values but reality eventually caught up to them and they eventually had kids and realized they needed to provide for their family. That's not to say they completely adopted their parents points of view but the counter culture faded. The gap you speak of seems generational and even at age 52 I have only the slightest notion of what a preteen or a teenager is actually going through, at least when I was growing up my angst was at least something my parents could relate to. These days kids are zombie screen followers. I've told the story here before about driving by CSUN and all of the kids were walking along the sidewalk ignoring their surroundings with a phone in front of their face. Maybe you're right, we might've unintentionally passed the tipping point.

I agree it's an odd time, but I think back on my parents and how they rejected their parents values but reality eventually caught up to them and they eventually had kids and realized they needed to provide for their family. That's not to say they completely adopted their parents points of view but the counter culture faded. The gap you speak of seems generational and even at age 52 I have only the slightest notion of what a preteen or a teenager is actually going through, at least when I was growing up my angst was at least something my parents could relate to. These days kids are zombie screen followers. I've told the story here before about driving by CSUN and all of the kids were walking along the sidewalk ignoring their surroundings with a phone in front of their face. Maybe you're right, we might've unintentionally passed the tipping point.
Agree with your posit in a general sense. I was only speaking of the great lack of important, relevant historical knowledge of about 95% of the general public, regardless of generation. "Generations" as we speak of them now days are a just a construct of the marketing "industrial" complex. (Industrial in quotes because for many decades now, way too high a percentage of "stuff" that's bought and sold and contributes to GDP has absolutely NOTHING to do with industry. Which, of course, is why busi-peeps hired psychological manipulators, called them "marketers" and paid them to sell stuff to people that people didn't need, but yet allowed them to define themselves and their "individual" identities".)

Agree with your posit in a general sense. I was only speaking of the great lack of important, relevant historical knowledge of about 95% of the general public, regardless of generation. "Generations" as we speak of them now days are a just a construct of the marketing "industrial" complex. (Industrial in quotes because for many decades now, way too high a percentage of "stuff" that's bought and sold and contributes to GDP has absolutely NOTHING to do with industry. Which, of course, is why busi-peeps hired psychological manipulators, called them "marketers" and paid them to sell stuff to people that people didn't need, but yet allowed them to define themselves and their "individual" identities".)
What knowledge? My lament was more about never having a chance to hang out around a campfire with either of my grandfathers, one died shortly after I was born and the other was friendly but would rather take the entire family on a cruise and just pretend to be the benevolent patriarch in public. I would love to have heard their stories but I was not afforded that chance.
Of course I would've been ears wide open sitting around a fire with them and I did participate in some of these sorts of late night shenanigans with my dad camping. Maybe that's why Gen X is called the forgotten generation, I know that's painting with a broad brush but that's just my personal experience.

What knowledge? My lament was more about never having a chance to hang out around a campfire with either of my grandfathers, one died shortly after I was born and the other was friendly but would rather take the entire family on a cruise and just pretend to be the benevolent patriarch in public. I would love to have heard their stories but I was not afforded that chance.
Of course I would've been ears wide open sitting around a fire with them and I did participate in some of these sorts of late night shenanigans with my dad camping. Maybe that's why Gen X is called the forgotten generation, I know that's painting with a broad brush but that's just my personal experience.
Re: your questiion, "What knowledge?"

Pretty much everything before about 5 minutes ago for most folks. At the extremes, there are literally people -who get to vote- out there who can't tell you which happened first, WWI or WWII. There are literally current members of the US Senate who don't really know how email works.

Personal campfire tales are great. All for them. They just don't help in the pursuit of creating informed and effective policy to allow billions of people to continue living on a very small chunk of rock in the midst of a very cold, very empty, very dark universe.

What was the quote? Not sure I'd get Dumb and Dumber. I'd get Caddyshack, Airplane, Fletch, and Monty Python. Damn I'm old....
I'd get references to the actual Old Norse myths and Sagas I grew up with. I will never get the merchandising-driven, plastic-fabricated comic book rip offs. But hey, when you want to sell swag, keep your costs low with un-copyrighted material. WHAT BRILLIANT BUSINESSPEOPLE these pilferers are!!! Wonder where they went to school and learned their rarefied arts?!?

What was the quote? Not sure I'd get Dumb and Dumber. I'd get Caddyshack, Airplane, Fletch, and Monty Python. Damn I'm old....

Wheel of time. But there's an element of taste involved, too. I watched Dumb and Dumber when it came out, and I guess I probably chuckled a bit. But I don't have it committed to memory, either. Whereas Airplane!, Monty Python, Super Troopers...those are gold and burned in to my RAM.

Wheel of time. But there's an element of taste involved, too. I watched Dumb and Dumber when it came out, and I guess I probably chuckled a bit. But I don't have it committed to memory, either. Whereas Airplane!, Monty Python, Super Troopers...those are gold and burned in to my RAM.
So true. A bit like comparing the current for-profit fake wrestlers to "The Crusher".

I literally just today got a blank stare from one of our new kids when I quoted Dumb and Dumber

It's pretty wild to think that, among the FNG's who I instruct as a Navy reservist, most would likely consider a movie from the late 2000's/early 2010's to be a childhood classic. I don't even know what that would be? Wolf of Wall Street? Or the movie where Jonah Hill goes to North Korea and gets honey dicked? Forgetting Sarah Marshall? Maybe those are too early, they would have been in like middle school.....

It's pretty wild to think that, among the FNG's who I instruct as a Navy reservist, most would likely consider a movie from the late 2000's/early 2010's to be a childhood classic. I don't even know what that would be? Wolf of Wall Street? Or the movie where Jonah Hill goes to North Korea and gets honey dicked? Forgetting Sarah Marshall? Maybe those are too early, they would have been in like middle school.....

Fun fact, if The Wonder Years was made today, it would take place in 2004.

I have done a dozen or so stall checks in Hawkers. No two are the same. One pilot was new to the Hawker. I have not seen the identity of the second pilot.

You're both pretty. Now let me tell you about the time @CK sent me to do the stall test on a Hawker with a 1985 manual and all the best wishes in the world...

Some of you may die, but it is a sacrifice I am willing to make.

Alex.

Back