Another infamous Finance Question !!

Silverhawk

As many have posted before I'm another up and coming pilot who is reaching that path we've all crossed. I'm pretty much done with my PPL which I paid for out of pocket, with some additional cost due to work keeping me away from flying.
I really want to go as far as I can thru the FBO route given I found a really great instructor, but know I"ll prob. have to pick up some ME time at some place like ATP etc..

The job market up here in the Northeast is getting a little better, but despite being two classes from finishing up my Masters I haven't had much response from many companies.. ( even with a 3.8 in Marketing / New Product Dev. for bachelors and 4.0 thus far in MS. Education) !! I think they're afraid of me being stagnate maybe from working outside a field of my schooling for the past two years ??

But.. at this point my job pretty much is really wearing me down from the cutbacks and mgmt .... I'm doing financial and tax scrub work for corp. pension plans etc.. but it pays for flying when it lets me of course !!

So.. my question after all the rambling is do ya think it's worth quiting this job being I have enough saved up to live and pay for my instrument training and attempt to line up a new job in another month or so ?? Or just keep trying to maintain my schedule of packing as much flying into the weekends as I can since at this point since I'm pretty much done with the PPL portion of training ?

Just curious to see what others have experienced along the way !!

Hope Everyone has a safe weekend !!!
spin2.gif

Don't quit your job!!!!

I was unemployed for over a year! I start my new job today.

I got into a great deal of debt with flight training. I would recommend that you keep flying when you can and pay for it as you go. Don't take out any loans!

You don't need to be concerned with the multi-engine training at this stage of the game. Just worry about getting each rating and eventually the Initial CFI.

I would also recommend flight instructing part time at the onset. At least you will have a full time position and have some extra income coming in while building some time.

Don't be in a big hurry to finish everthing at once! I fell into this trap and now I am paying for it big time!!!!

Hope this helps!

TL

clrd4takeoff has got some great advice. I'm doing almost everything he's mentioning and although the track is slower, it is steady and a heck of a lot safer.

I am now starting my CFI, and have done all my training evenings and weekends. I hope to have my CFI/II by years end and then I will teach, evenings and weekends. I'm used to working two jobs to pay for flying so there's nothing different there. I don't have the multiengine stuff yet, but will use income from my CFI/II work to may for the CMEL and MEI.

Agreed on not borrowing money. While this has been incredible fun and I'm enjoying every step of the journey, I can't see taking ANY risks to pursue this. After all, this is a career change, I'm in a stable and *somewhat* satisfying career to begin with. So, even if things go turtle-pace slow for me compared to those who go to the academies full time, so be it. It's a choice I made with eyes wide open and it's working well.

A giant life change, with as little risk as possible.

Sarah

Back