Adding Oil to a piston airplane on a 135 certifcate

You’re doing regular servicing of fluids, not performing MX. Legal.

Edit: Saw this is for part 135. The answer comes from your company GMM.

What states a pilot can do "servicing"? The regs say that the pilot can not do "preventative maintenance" on a 135 airplane. And lubrication is considered preventative mx. Topic is not discussed in the GOM or GMM.

Adding oil isn't servicing or preventitive mx, in my opinion.

In what context did this question arise?

What states a pilot can do "servicing"? The regs say that the pilot can not do "preventative maintenance" on a 135 airplane. And lubrication is considered preventative mx. Topic is not discussed in the GOM or GMM.
What states that a line guy can add fuel to the airplane?

At a certain very large flight school in an obscenely cold location, if you called up and said you needed a quart of oil in your cessna, a line guy would come and add a quart of oil.

In some states it's illegal to add fuel your own car. Oregon being one of them.

Might want to check that, Oregon changed the law and self serve is now legal.

But to the topic at hand. I flew for a "large 135 cargo carrier" and we serviced the oil on the piston fleet. Usually had at least a case in the back.

For what it’s worth, I’m not allowed to service oil on the Phenom at my shop. Good enough for me, even though I think it’s stupid.

On some jets, like a Global 5000/6000, the oil replenisher will basically lock you out after a period of time has passed since shut down. Unless a mechanic is either part of the crew or they have MX at the end of every leg the pilots are the only ones that can service the oil without starting and shutting down the engines/APU. I worked at a 135 shop with a mostly G-IV fleet and it was company policy that one of the pilots would get a ladder and check/service the oil after every leg.

In some states it's illegal to add fuel your own car. Oregon being one of them.

Might want to check that, Oregon changed the law and self serve is now legal.

But to the topic at hand. I flew for a "large 135 cargo carrier" and we serviced the oil on the piston fleet. Usually had at least a case in the back.
Sort of. Gas stations in counties with less than 40,000 CAN allow self-serve fueling, typically used only after business hours.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Back