Ability to drop trips without pay

DE727UPS

I can't believe I'm asking this. But heard that PSA lets you drop down to 8 days. Any others? Preferably on the west coast? Can't believe I'm asking this.... I already turned down an interview with the Skywest 135 EAS deal when she told me it was 15 days a month. That's likely a burned bridge.

A lot of places have this, but I feel like it’s not as awesome as everyone thinks it is. Spirit and several others allow you to drop to your heart’s content, all the way to zero if you want. But the problem is what place actually has the reserve staffing in place that allows the drop to go through? My guess is nowhere. I haven’t counted on being able to drop a trip since more than two years (and three airlines) ago,

Thanks for the input. That's pretty much how it was with drops at UPS. It was in the contract but was never gonna happen. Insufficient reserve coverage.

We were able to drop trips without pay at Endeavor. That’s how I got my first New Year off at 4 months on property. I doubt it happens much now if any. Sucks we can’t drop back to the company, especially right now. 15 days a month seems a little crazy got a retirement gig. Have you checked out JSX? I’ve heard nothing but good things but that’s mostly been from folks who aren’t close to retirement.

I can't believe I'm asking this. But heard that PSA lets you drop down to 8 days. Any others? Preferably on the west coast? Can't believe I'm asking this.... I already turned down an interview with the Skywest 135 EAS deal when she told me it was 15 days a month. That's likely a burned bridge.

Have you looked at JSX? I don’t think dropping days is a thing there, but if you’re looking at 135 stuff they’re definitely worth a look.

At Frontier it was normally very easy to drop a trip. They actually have very good work rules in this aspect, where greater than three days out, trip drops aren’t tied to reserve coverage but, instead, to a pre-determined table of open trip caps. As an F/O I found that table to be green most days. Only catch is you still have to end the month with 70hrs (60 in some company-designated months).

Have you looked at JSX? I don’t think dropping days is a thing there, but if you’re looking at 135 stuff they’re definitely worth a look.
I love JSX's model but I don't live anywhere near a base and don't want it bad enough to buy a condo in Vegas. None of the bases are near WA. Also, the FAA is looking into them operating under 135 so it could get shut down. Same with the Skywest 135 EAS stuff. I did purse the Skywest 135 thing up until they offered me an interview and I found out they need 15 days a month. JSX is probably the same. I guess I could give it a try. Maybe park my motorhome in Vegas and call it a secondary residence. From the JSX website:

**** JSX is Currently Seeking Direct-Entry Captains **** DAL, LAS bases are current priority. Must live locally or be willing to establish a secondary residence at base. Direct-Entry Captains must have 1000 PIC Jet Turbine time at minimum. Retired 121 Captains can fly past 65 years old!

A lot of places have this, but I feel like it’s not as awesome as everyone thinks it is. Spirit and several others allow you to drop to your heart’s content, all the way to zero if you want. But the problem is what place actually has the reserve staffing in place that allows the drop to go through? My guess is nowhere. I haven’t counted on being able to drop a trip since more than two years (and three airlines) ago,
Well…that would be also Spirit, which has very strong provisions in their Section 25 I. to ensure that credit loss transactions are approved during Initial Open Time on 75% of days in any given bid period. Which is expensive, though I decline to state exactly how expensive.

I had one month where I had recurrent and vacation and that was it, I yeeted all my trips and it was kinda glorious.

God that sounds absolutely • miserable. Edit: it’s not surprising, though, and their target audience are the people who want to relive the glory days of Burgs and Villes because they cannot afford to hang ‘em up.

We can drop down to 0hrs/$0 at SouthernJets.

One of my friends does that fairly often as considering they own four jets and a helicopter, “money ain’t a thang” :)

One of my friends does that fairly often as considering they own four jets and a helicopter, “money ain’t a thang” :)
If I win the lottery you’ll see a lot less of me. “Drop rotations if not NCE MAD LIS or LHR-summer only,” etc.

Well, seems your money ain't a thang anyway. There's close to a 100% chance that you're paying for rich poseur dude's health insurance and other union protections/benefits.

Or is he just a city-farmer vanity-publisher kinda pretend "pilot"?

Work... or Don't. This is more like Yoda than slangy aphorism. The "get out of the way sub-clause is superfluous in this particular equation..
Within the work or don't scope, the "get out of the way" clause is relegated to the "Don't Pretend" file.

AA you can drop to 0 as well, and then pickup Premium. Staffing dependent, which means not likely. Though guys senior enough for turns drop them, or at least have others pick them off their schedule. Then they slurp up all the premium 😒

Yeah we're "over-staffed" by 700 pilots yet every time I try to drop an R day, move an R day, swap a trip or drop a trip its a never ending list of DISSAPROVED Max Open Time Violation or Insufficient Reserves...:smoke:
Oh and every secondary line they construct for me its built at max time. Haven't had a month yet where they didn't build me a line that was 5+ hrs over normal BLG.
Unless there are 700 pilots on the MD sitting around MEM with nothing to do I just don't get it. :rolleyes:
Being able to drop trips is good in theory but...

I don’t foresee ever working anywhere that has the staffing to be able to do that regularly. But then again I’m domestic narrowbody trash :p

Me using my APD was more of a "meh, I only get one of these a year and while it isn't use it or lose it someone bargained for it so might as well *yeet*" versus "OMG I HAVE TO BE OFF on this day" proposition last year.

Shucks, I swapped out of a trip over Swift Sunday this bid period. Bet you can't do that in that category of yours (thoughts, prayers, but also, staffing expensive).

Back