Ability to drop trips without pay

Me using my APD was more of a "meh, I only get one of these a year and while it isn't use it or lose it someone bargained for it so might as well *yeet*" versus "OMG I HAVE TO BE OFF on this day" proposition last year.

Shucks, I swapped out of a trip over Swift Sunday this bid period. Bet you can't do that in that category of yours (thoughts, prayers, but also, staffing expensive).
I bid for two weeks off in a row with Super Bowl Sunday snack dab in the middle of it, and actually got it, so you never know…

That is my MO here at Yellow. I get awarded 5-3day trips every month

I drop 2 trips and fly 3 trips. 9 days of work. 9 legs 45-50 hrs of credit

I’m in the middle of executing my exit strategy of flying part time and doing more of the side gig ..

I think if this place still hangs around I’ll eventually drop to work just 1 trip a month to pay for health insurance.

If it doesn’t pan out I’ll just execute the transition strategy as it appears the airlines don’t need any more airline pilots these days.

That is my MO here at Yellow. I get awarded 5-3day trips every month

I drop 2 trips and fly 3 trips. 9 days of work. 9 legs 45-50 hrs of credit

I’m in the middle of executing my exit strategy of flying part time and doing more of the side gig ..

I think if this place still hangs around I’ll eventually drop to work just 1 trip a month to pay for health insurance.

If it doesn’t pan out I’ll just execute the transition strategy as it appears the airlines don’t need any more airline pilots these days.
That's awesome. Is dropping dependent on reserve staffing? May I ask what your side gig is?

That's awesome. Is dropping dependent on reserve staffing? May I ask what your side gig is?

A certain percentage of days have to be “green” at open time. In initial open time dropping goes by seniority. After that it’s the hunger games of “first come first served.”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It is very dependent on reserve staffing

As long as the grid is green you’re free to drop.

In DFW anyways, there is no open time so the reserve grid is green all month. So in my mind, I’m cleared hot to drop my entire schedule if I want.

There are a few pilots who do drop to nothing and try to rebuild their schedule from open time. Or just set themselves up for crew scheduling to call with premium flying.

But you have to be careful if you really need the pay. Because there normally is no open time in DFW you’ll have to pick up out of base to get the credit you’re looking for. there’s lots of reserve captains to call out in my category and status.

Even on the DFW FO side it’s a similar situation but other bases it’s not that way so you might not be able to drop due to reserve coverage being red.

The side gig is tax - still learning and still mostly dealing with reactive individual situations requiring corrective action - i got a notice from the IRS what do I do?. Trying to get a better handle with business/corporate taxation for small business and side gig type of stuff and more into tax planning.

It’s been a learning experience these last three years and I can’t believe that as soon as I thought there’s no way someone can be in a situation, someone finds a more imaginative way to get into their situation.

I find I do enjoy the education aspect of the job which I didn’t think would be an aspect of tax work. Some people are interested in the how or why and how can I prevent it in the future and I’ve found I like working with these people. but most are just fix it. Or how can I fix it?

Now that I'm retired, my tax situation seems easier. Less income. I do have a rental property, though. I ran the numbers through a couple online tax estimators and came out I was going to own $4300 ish. No big deal. Seems like I should have more with held during the year. But I always have my taxes done by a professional. I don't know what they do but I ended up only owing a few hundred. Probably something to do with the rental and depreciation, which I don't even want to try to understand. Best money I spend all year is having them do my taxes.

A certain percentage of days have to be “green” at open time. In initial open time dropping goes by seniority. After that it’s the hunger games of “first come first served.”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
IMS, 75-25 for IOT, and the Company shall reduce the required RES coverage to ensure this ratio. SPAMEC took Spirit to arbitration like three times over this issue, and won every time.

Don’t ask what I had for breakfast however.

I thought you said you were at AA. Be a better troll, troll.
B3E037AD-97B5-4AEA-9328-03380FAD655D.gif

Well, seems your money ain't a thang anyway. There's close to a 100% chance that you're paying for rich poseur dude's health insurance and other union protections/benefits.

Or is he just a city-farmer vanity-publisher kinda pretend "pilot"?

Work... or Don't. This is more like Yoda than slangy aphorism. The "get out of the way sub-clause is superfluous in this particular equation..
Within the work or don't scope, the "get out of the way" clause is relegated to the "Don't Pretend" file.
If you read a little closer, he’s a woman.

Why would I personally be upset about someone taking legal advantage of a contractual provision to be able to drop to zero hours? There’s months where I’d drop all my trips to subsequently pick up better trips. If you don’t pick up trips, that’s not my business.

If you read a little closer, he’s a woman.

Why would I personally be upset about someone taking legal advantage of a contractual provision to be able to drop to zero hours? There’s months where I’d drop all my trips to subsequently pick up better trips. If you don’t pick up trips, that’s not my business.

Because if someone came to a Delta interview, sat across from you at the table, and said “I don’t really want to fly, my goal will be to drop to zero every month,” then you know your team wouldn’t be being this candidate.

Because if someone came to a Delta interview, sat across from you at the table, and said “I don’t really want to fly, my goal will be to drop to zero every month,” then you know your team wouldn’t be being this candidate.
I’ve said some stupid stuff, hell I’m sure some of it was in the Delta pilot selection room during the interview, but I don’t think anyone would be that silly to say something like that. It almost seems like we’re equating dropping trips to being lazy or a subpar employee.

I’ve said some stupid stuff, hell I’m sure some of it was in the Delta pilot selection room during the interview, but I don’t think anyone would be that silly to say something like that. It almost seems like we’re equating dropping trips to being lazy or a subpar employee.

I mean, you would be - by definition. That guy (lady?) with the 4 planes and several houses who runs a business is basically just using Delta as a place holder in their life.

I mean, you would be - by definition. That guy (lady?) with the 4 planes and several houses who runs a business is basically just using Delta as a place holder in their life.

OK fine. You’re begging for attention so I’ll give you some.

They’re both very good friends of mine. The husband was in my initial ground school class and the wife went to Riddle with me and was in a class behind.

A couple years after getting hired and getting married, the husband got sick and lost his medical and had to leave SouthernJets. He studied engineering in college and started a small aerospace engineering company to make ends meet while she kept flying.

They took some pretty big risks which really paid off and business took off. I can guarantee you that even your company benefits from some of his companies designs and flight testing.

A great couple, charitable, humble and would go to the ends of the world to do anything for you.

You, sitting behind your keyboard in LA think a person you don’t know should quit? Mind your business as many of us would do the exact same thing. Staffing allows her to fly when she wants and spend time with her family on her own terms.

I celebrate that.

And trust me, she’s not the only person at SouthernJets that’s a kajillionaire that’s largely flying for fun. Two others are right here on the forum.

There, there’s your attention. You can feel alive and seen. You‘re not living in a simulation. Go sit in the corner.

I'm sure they're great people, you don't have to convince me of anything. I'm glad they made a side business take off and make out like bandits today. Well deserved with a lot of hard work. It doesn't seem like either needs Delta anymore, which is a great position to be in. I'm not in the job of telling others to quit their company. Have at it.

Back