SkyWest flight attendants’ clash delays trip by two hours

Oxman

Video in link.

1678910630219.png
1678910650442.png

1678910727265.png

A SkyWest flight from Los Angeles to Houston was stuck on the runway for two hours after a pair of staffers furiously argued in front of passengers about whether to let someone in first class switch seats with someone in coach.

The incident was caught on video and posted on Tuesday on TikTok by ESPN anchor Ashley Brewer, who was on the flight as she and other passengers looked on in disbelief.

The video, backed by the Curb Your Enthusiasm theme, shows a male and female flight attendant bickering about the passengers’ request to switch seats so one of them could sit next to her husband.

Brewer said that while the male flight attendant approved the change, his coworker told him it was against SkyWest’s policy, sparking the debate.

“They kept bickering and going back and forth in the middle of the aisle about the rules, and what was right and what was wrong,” Brewer said before both flight attendants were asked to leave the plane and replaced with more amicable staffers.

Brewer, who comically filmed herself eating popcorn as she looked on, added that the male flight attendant began yelling at the female worker at one point, prompting her to cry and run towards the front of the plane.

The video shows the male flight attendant was the first to go, but about an hour later and still no word on take off, the female coworker is then seen exiting the plane, too.

“So then we just sat down and waited and waited and waited,” said Brewer of the incident, which she called “petty.”

“‘And it was a whole big thing. They had the flight crew come on, the pilots came out and tried to talk through [it]. It was such an ordeal. And I’m so glad it’s over.”

Despite the headaches from the flight delay, Brewer noted that the replacement crew on the flight were “sweet” and helped passengers look past the incident.

Reflecting on the situation on Twitter, Brewer wrote: “What is wrong with this world?!! It gets nuttier by the day.”

SkyWest said in a statement that it was aware of the incident and has launched an investigation into the matter.

“We regret the delay this caused for our passengers and apologize for any inconvenience. We hold all our employees to the highest standards of professionalism and are conducting an internal investigation related to this flight.”

I’ve worked with the male FA in this story several times and all in different roles I had held within the company. Although while he is a very caring individual and really looks out for the pax and loves being a FA, sometimes unfortunately his enthusiasm does become a distraction for certain crew members.

who knows, but I hope everything works out.

Last edited:
Give me a break. CA, figure this the F out and close it up, let’s go.

Not that simple. Years ago when I was a FO there was a lead FA who had an issue with a FC pax. She thought he was drunk, wanted him removed. Called out a GST, a cop, CA saw pax, even I did, and all 4 of us thought pax was just fine. In the end, the GST had nothing to remove him for and said your choice CA. The CA elected to go. Before closing the door, the lead FA said thanks for nothing, you created a hostile work environment for me. It was a redeye, and nothing came of it. Luckily.

Today, as CA? Screw that noise. Same situation if I’m told you are in a hostile work environment, you’re getting removed - for your own safety. Not my problem if the pax is cleared to go by cops and a GST.

Standard online disclaimer, this was a virtual airline and not any specific real-life airline.

Not that simple. Years ago when I was a FO there was a lead FA who had an issue with a FC pax. She thought he was drunk, wanted him removed. Called out a GST, a cop, CA saw pax, even I did, and all 4 of us thought pax was just fine. In the end, the GST had nothing to remove him for and said your choice CA. The CA elected to go. Before closing the door, the lead FA said thanks for nothing, you created a hostile work environment for me. It was a redeye, and nothing came of it. Luckily.

Today, as CA? Screw that noise. Same situation if I’m told you are in a hostile work environment, you’re getting removed - for your own safety. Not my problem if the pax is cleared to go by cops and a GST.

Standard online disclaimer, this was a virtual airline and not any specific real-life airline.

We’re talking seating issue, not drunk pax and possible denied boarding.

I’m kinda more concerned with people who insist on making it about them by filming/publishing it. How about backlash against those who choose to make someone’s bad day even worse?

Agreed, but will never happen. Notice how much of that video was filming of her own self versus the actual interactions of the FAs. Social media made not only made narcissism worse, it actually helped create it even more in society.

Agreed, but will never happen. Notice how much of that video was filming of her own self versus the actual interactions of the FAs. Social media made not only made narcissism worse, it actually helped create it even more in society.

I say this every time I glance over my wife sucking the crackpipe we call tiktok. Social media not for me. I’m growing old and crotchety by the year. I’m not integrating well with the “new” world. If society thinks not having social media is suspect, then I’m screwed.

Sounds like a few had a bad day. 2hrs bickering over seat assignments?! Good grief. Where was the leadership for this one?

I’m kinda more concerned with people who insist on making it about them by filming/publishing it. How about backlash against those who choose to make someone’s bad day even worse?
What about all of the passengers they screwed over because they can’t act like professionals? The reality is that everyone had a phone and will be recording you when you act like a bozo.

I mean to @Murdoughnut point. There are an awful lot of those kinds of vids where you see the person vs the event. It’s all for clout and followers. The “social media economy” you need a following, sometimes either filming events or creating them is a way to do it. It’s enabled. My .02

I say this every time I glance over my wife sucking the crackpipe we call tiktok. Social media not for me. I’m growing old and crotchety by the year. I’m not integrating well with the “new” world. If society thinks not having social media is suspect, then I’m screwed.

Sounds like a few had a bad day. 2hrs bickering over seat assignments?! Good grief. Where was the leadership for this one?

42 seems to the age where I've finally started to feel detached from the generations to come. There are plenty of times where my 10 year olds want to grab my phone to get a picture or video of something and I have to tell them "why don't you just enjoy it with your eyes?"

Back