Ability to drop trips without pay

I don’t need to convince you of anything.

I told you part of their story because I felt… charitable.

Learn your contract. If looking over your fence to find your neighbor’s bikini-clad suburban hotwife and beautiful infinity-edge pool makes you feel inadequate, well, stop looking. That‘s a you problem.

OK fine. You’re begging for attention so I’ll give you some.

They’re both very good friends of mine. The husband was in my initial ground school class and the wife went to Riddle with me and was in a class behind.

A couple years after getting hired and getting married, the husband got sick and lost his medical and had to leave SouthernJets. He studied engineering in college and started a small aerospace engineering company to make ends meet while she kept flying.

They took some pretty big risks which really paid off and business took off. I can guarantee you that even your company benefits from some of his companies designs and flight testing.

A great couple, charitable, humble and would go to the ends of the world to do anything for you.

You, sitting behind your keyboard in LA think a person you don’t know should quit? Mind your business as many of us would do the exact same thing. Staffing allows her to fly when she wants and spend time with her family on her own terms.

I celebrate that.

And trust me, she’s not the only person at SouthernJets that’s a kajillionaire that’s largely flying for fun. Two others are right here on the forum.

There, there’s your attention. You can feel alive and seen. You‘re not living in a simulation. Go sit in the corner.
Very cool story. Celebrate that all day and all night!!

Honestly, the airlines would benefit from a few part time, seasonal pipe hitters. Our shop, especially Cherokee's seat, is a bit overmanned at the moment. Such flexibility isn't always directly possible with a union contract (least of which being ours), but I personally don't think there is anything wrong with a person using their seniority (or trading, or contractual benefits like dropping to zero) to extract a good QOL that meets their needs......who cares, at the end of the day? Mark my words, everyone is currently overmanned for the next 5 years.

Mark my words, everyone is currently overmanned for the next 5 years.
Drat

They’re both very good friends of mine. The husband was in my initial ground school class and the wife went to Riddle with me and was in a class behind.

A couple years after getting hired and getting married, the husband got sick and lost his medical and had to leave SouthernJets. He studied engineering in college and started a small aerospace engineering company to make ends meet while she kept flying.

They took some pretty big risks which really paid off and business took off. I can guarantee you that even your company benefits from some of his companies designs and flight testing.

A great couple, charitable, humble and would go to the ends of the world to do anything for you.

You, sitting behind your keyboard in LA think a person you don’t know should quit? Mind your business as many of us would do the exact same thing. Staffing allows her to fly when she wants and spend time with her family on her own terms.

I celebrate that.

And trust me, she’s not the only person at SouthernJets that’s a kajillionaire that’s largely flying for fun. Two others are right here on the forum.

There, there’s your attention. You can feel alive and seen. You‘re not living in a simulation. Go sit in the corner.
1707214714178.gif

I celebrate that.

Ok, that's a nice anecdote. And anecdotes are nice when at the club. They don't work so well in the lab. In any case, I'll respect your story, if you will respect my request that you please never ever again use the word "entitled" as a disparaging term. Deal?

I literally don’t know if we’re having the same conversation!

Do you guys/gals know how good you have it, say as compared to the full-time shift worker at an Amazon warehouse or local gas/station deli, or many other necessary shift jobs from fire service to EMS and beyond?

I don't begrudge the income you have or the gripes within the system within which you work, but for Christ's sake, your reality is FAR different than that of most people who scramble to survive, hoping for OT or working a second job to get by.

Recognizing this is a closed group into which I was invited, I'd still note there is a much larger world which has neither the salary or benefits - or even the potential - that so many of you do.

Try not to forget us as you forge ahead and strive for more.

It started after I got hired but UPS used to make new hires ride along in a package car for a day during indoc. Help the driver deliver packages. I think they did that in an attempt to humble pilots and show them they are a small cog in a big wheel.

I have a few friends who did this in the last 5-7 years. I presume it is still a thing

Also, last I heard, UPS union truck drivers (not sure which trucks) make around $175k/yr, which seems pretty good for unskilled shift work/throwing boxes.

Ok, that's a nice anecdote. And anecdotes are nice when at the club. They don't work so well in the lab. In any case, I'll respect your story, if you will respect my request that you please never ever again use the word "entitled" as a disparaging term. Deal?

Lol, most people wouldn’t recognize a lab if Dr. Frankenstein’s monster came busting out.

Do you guys/gals know how good you have it, say as compared to the full-time shift worker at an Amazon warehouse or local gas/station deli, or many other necessary shift jobs from fire service to EMS and beyond?

I don't begrudge the income you have or the gripes within the system within which you work, but for Christ's sake, your reality is FAR different than that of most people who scramble to survive, hoping for OT or working a second job to get by.

Recognizing this is a closed group into which I was invited, I'd still note there is a much larger world which has neither the salary or benefits - or even the potential - that so many of you do.

I’d say most of us worked our poverty wage jobs, be it flight instructing, the old regional pay scale, or one of the many other ways we got to the “big show”

I’d say most of us worked our poverty wage jobs, be it flight instructing, the old regional pay scale, or one of the many other ways we got to the “big show”
Understood and appreciated, but don’t most of us start at the bottom and work our way up the ladder over time and as we gain experience, whatever our field of endeavor?

I feel you, Bob. The pay cut I took going from brand F left seat to legacy right seat is more than most people make in a year. Hell, my income on first year pay is more than most people make in a year.

If you get out and walk on your overnights and go in to local places instead of Chili’s or the Irish pub near the hotel, you’ll see how it is for most folks. Act with a little bit of grace and humility. Yes, we all CFI’d (except for the whippersnappers) or flew freight for $12k/yr. We slept during the day, or at night on the couch of the flight school trying not to get caught by Barney Fife shining his flashlight in the windows (I quote “YOU AREN’T ALLOWED TO SLEEP HERE), we ate ramen and PB&J. Some of us commuted to this foolishness and slept in dirty, crowded crash pads. Literally almost this entire community at one time or another, probably.

Folks: don’t be a dick just because you got your bag now.

Back