Lessons Learned as a CFI: Vol 4 (final?)

killbilly

Vocals, Lyrics, Triangle, Washboard, Kittens
I normally wait until the beginning of the year to write these, but seeing as how things have changed, and I don't know when I'll be able to get back to instructing again any time soon, I wanted to get this stuff down on paper, as it were, while it was still relatively fresh. A number of people have told me these little screeds were helpful, so I'll write them until I can't.

Right now, I'm about to get into the sim phase at ATP/CTP training, and I start training at a certain Commute-type regional next week. (Skipped the member announcements thing. Most of you know anyway.)

Flight Instruction is a Team Sport - over the last year, I've worked in concert with a couple of instructors to develop some students who were either struggling, had difficult schedules, or were rare birds for a variety of reasons. While it's less-than-optimal, in my opinion, for a pre-solo student to work with more than 2 instructors, it can be beneficial for the later-phase students and for things which are procedural, it works out well for IR and other advanced training. My takeaway is that good communication with other instructors in pursuit of the common goal not only begins to teach you some of the underpinnings of CRM, but you can make some good friends in the process. This last bit was a pleasant and welcome surprise. :)

Baby Pilots Imprint On Their Instructors - I didn't come up with that phrase, but it stuck and it applies. New pilots are sometime loathe to fly with anyone else, they don't trust other instructors, and they don't want to step outside the comfort zone. This is where they grow the most. Push em' out. Don't keep holding their hands through everything. You can still provide advice and insights, but put the decisions on them. Technique - two weeks before their checkride, have the student start planning flights they're going to make AFTER the checkride to places they've never been. The axe is sharp at this point, so make em' chop wood. Give them a goal.

Making CFIs is really Cool - Arguably the most challenging and rewarding aspect of the job, and I honestly think this is where I got....the most depth. Because while teaching someone to teach, you have to get deep into your own hows and whys, and, if you're honest with yourself, challenge and validate them. I had a hand in building a pair of CFIs this year. One is finished and actively teaching - he's an older cat like me. Terrific guy, earnest, eager and receptive to learning. I thoroughly enjoyed working with him as we explored how people learn to fly, and I picked up a bunch of new things from him. Made a friend there, too, I think.

The second is still in progress. He's a kid. Cocky, privileged and a very, very talented stick-and-rudder guy. It seems he's led a really....maybe sheltered is the word....life up to this point, and as he's learning to teach, he's also learning some new things about initiative and accountability that he never had to do before. We're not just creating a CFI, we're creating an adult, sort of, and it has been a lot of fun watching this kid go from stumbling through a discussion on the Four Forces, to a smooth, confident discussion about how to perform Lazy 8s correctly. Going back to the Team Sport concept, there were/are three of us working with him, and he's been making steady progress. It was a pleasure to work with him, despite the work and frequent, agonizing moments of "WTF are you doing? Keep it simple!" and "That was an amazing landing and you flunked because you stopped teaching in the downwind." :)

Some Instructors Suck - as long as you're not that Instructor, simply pity their students and move on. This is your Chief's problem, and I assure you, he or she knows about it.

Flight Instruction is/was a Privilege - I'm seeing more and more posts in various forums about how many prospective professional pilots want to avoid instructing. These are usually running in parallel with CFIs posting horror stories about lousy students, near-death experiences and all manner of negativity. It's not for everyone, sure, but it's an esoteric enough skillset that I don't think the positive side of instruction gets enough press. You guys have heard me talk long and loudly about why I think it's great, so I don't need to beat that dead horse here. I just wish more CFIs were more vocal about the good side of the gig. I think more people would be a little more interested and open-minded about it if they saw a larger cadre of CFIs who loved it more.

I also know that my situation and perspective is but one among many. Maybe I'm weird.

I'll leave you with two points to ponder if you're still reading this far.

1. My CFI certificates will absolutely provide me some utility in the 121 environment. The psychology of FOI alone and experience spent teaching will help me in a CRM environment without question. Navigating personalities and situations and keeping a big picture in mind is part of the FOs job, and it's certainly part of a CFI's job. If I ever had any doubt about whether or not instruction was worth it, my initial exposure to ATP/CTP has cemented it for sure: it definitely helps.
  2. We had an instructor for Day 1 of ATP/CTP - retired AA guy. The FAA course material is what it is, and most everyone in class is already familiar with it. This instructor made a point of also trying to tell us the things we needed to know about professional flying that weren't in the books. Mostly through stories, anecdotes, parables, what-have-you, but it was memorable because it was clear that he loved what he did, had aged out, and wanted to give back to us. He cared. It mattered, and it made an impression on me as a model of the kind of pilot/instructor I want to be at the end of my career.

I really hope more prospects decide to go into instructing. I'll do what I can to promote it. I will, of course, ask the Chief if I can do it on the side, although I suspect the answer will be no. But that's cool. There will be time later.

Good stuff. Thanks for writing. Best of luck to you as you move on. I'm sure you'll find a way to do a little small airplane teaching on the side, sooner or later. I see myself pretty much sticking to IFR training and maybe pre-solo. Too many boxes to check in getting a guy ready for a checkride that I don't enjoy and sort of disagree with. Hard to explain. There are just things in the PTS that I think are a waste of time and when I come across something like that I tend to just not want to deal with it but you HAVE to cause it's in the PTS. I don't see that as much with the IFR training.

I really hope more prospects decide to go into instructing. I'll do what I can to promote it. I will, of course, ask the Chief if I can do it on the side, although I suspect the answer will be no. But that's cool. There will be time later.

Great Post!

There are two pathways or mindsets you can take:

1. There are many airline pilots that are naturally great instructors: They keep the passion of aviation, become check pilots, mentor captains, or new FO's, or end up in an instructing in the 121 environment, or just mentor upcoming new or prospective pilots. Once you build up seniority number, you can also greatly influence the culture with the newer guys. The opportunities are endless!

2. Then there are other airline pilots that are done 'instructing' the instant they get hired into the 121 environment. Their entire career they will gripe about pay, commuting, QOL, schedules, etc. (all that you want to continue to work on improving nonetheless).

Option # 1 will have a much higher quality of life. Id recommend reading the Fundamentals of Instructing book once per year, and keep developing yourself as an instructor (even if you are not in an instructor position).

Great Post!

There are two pathways or mindsets you can take:

1. There are many airline pilots that are naturally great instructors: They keep the passion of aviation, become check pilots, mentor captains, or new FO's, or end up in an instructing in the 121 environment, or just mentor upcoming new or prospective pilots. Once you build up seniority number, you can also greatly influence the culture with the newer guys. The opportunities are endless!

2. Then there are other airline pilots that are done 'instructing' the instant they get hired into the 121 environment. Their entire career they will gripe about pay, commuting, QOL, schedules, etc. (all that you want to continue to work on improving nonetheless).

Option # 1 will have a much higher quality of life. Id recommend reading the Fundamentals of Instructing book once per year, and keep developing yourself as an instructor (even if you are not in an instructor position).

Yeah, I'm starting to see some opportunities out there to do the kinds of things you're talking about. Have already spoken to someone on the mentoring committee about how I can help out later.

But I gotta get through systems first...

Back