Airlines rush to add regional jets; who will fly them?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Your completely ignorant posts are so far over-the-top there is no way you are a professional pilot.

Yeh, I am starting to doubt he is a pilot also..

Don't let his posts bother you.. He is an idiot and allowing him to get your dander up is what he wants.. Everyone needs a little stupidity during their day to make them laugh, Brand X does it for me.. :D

Don't let his posts bother you.. He is an idiot and allowing him to get your dander up is what he wants.. Everyone needs a little stupidity during their day to make them laugh, Brand X does it for me.. :D

Yeah, you're right. From the moment I called shenanigans, I was done w/ the troll that is BX.

They certainly aren't good considering the equipment and type of flying.

It's a funny thing, but for some reason, the type of equipment seems to factor very much into what someone considers good pay or bad pay, as though their entire standard of living is affected by the airplane they fly. For example, If I offered 75K a year and 15 days off a month to fly a Metroliner, I would have applicants lined up out the door, down the block, and around the corner. But if I offered that same package to come fly a 737, all of a sudden it's "crappy pay and working conditions," and "no way would I work for them and neither should anybody else."

Another example is the "70 seat jet for 50 seat pay" argument. If I offered $60 to fly a CRJ-200, people would be fine with that. But add 20 seats and call it a CRJ-700, and all of a sudden people are raising hell. Add a $7 an hour override, and everything is right and good with the world again. But I doubt that, had I just offered $67 for both to begin with, I would have avoided the whole problem.

(BTW I am not advocating it, just pointing out the irony. I do believe in the "more pay for more airplane" way of doing things).

This all relates to the main point of my post. It seems to have gone unnoticed by everybody that wages at the regional level have done nothing but go up. 20 years ago pilots were lucky to earn 25K a year as Metroliner Captains and about half that as First Officers. You flew 1200 hours a year with no autopilot, in the weather, with shoddy maintenance, and minimum rest. Contrast that with today, where pilots are flying modern, well equipped, well maintained, and relatively comfortable jet aircraft above the weather for as much as 100K a year, and yet still all they do is bitch about "the low pay".

The shortage of pilots at the regional level has nothing to do with what the regionals pay. Instead it reflects that fact that few majors are hiring, and the ones that are have come down so much in pay that people are no longer looking at aviation as viable career choice. They see no reward for the sacrifice and instead choose to do something else. This can only help the piloting profession in the long run.

Yeah, you're right. From the moment I called shenanigans, I was done w/ the troll that is BX.

Guys, you don't get the right to call people names either, capiche?

As regards Brand X, I'm going to take Ian's advice.
Brand X isn't even a pilot. He's just a troll.

So, go ahead and care less. If you COULDN'T care less, you'd be at rock bottom on your caring meter. Since you aren't, I think you can be a little bit more of a moron.

You are correct, but what do you expect from someone with only a HS diploma and a 1.7 HS GPA to boot?

Sure, until UPS starts farming out more flying to places like Ameriflight, who no doubt would be hiring 250 hour pilots that would fly for peanuts if they could to fill seats. Don't think you're insulated from the issue forever. Major airlines were under the impression that farming out the RJs to the regionals wouldn't hurt them once upon a time, too.

Our scope is much different and much stricter than a pax mainline. UPS can only farm out flying to a/c with a payload of 12,899 lbs or less domestically. And then the combo of feeders on any given route cannot exceed the payload of a 727-100.

Guys, you don't get the right to call people names either, capiche?

Ah, it's refreshing to see the mods supporting the trolls...

You know as well as I know, he is here only to stir up trouble..

I won't change my opinion of what I think of him, simply because I am told to.. His posts indicate he is nothing more than a trouble maker.. Trouble makers are idiots/trolls/Insert your own word here...

If this is what is going to start happening here at JC, the mods supporting the obvious TROLLING trouble makers, you can keep it.. Capiche?

I won't change my opinion of what I think of him, simply because I am told to.. His posts indicate he is nothing more than a trouble maker.. Trouble makers are idiots/trolls/Insert your own word here...

If this is what is going to start happening here at JC, the mods supporting the obvious TROLLING trouble makers, you can keep it.. Capiche?

The Rules apply to everyone. People who come on here "trolling" will be dealt with, and we ask that if you happen upon someone or a specific example of someone "trolling" that you report the post. That way it can be dealt with. Still, that does NOT mean the other users should be violating the Rules with name-calling and angry posting. One can say their peace about a subject or individual without resorting to the same level as the "troll".

No more "Capiches" necessary.

I'm supporting the rules, not the trolls. Please feel free to review these specifically:
4. Be kind to your fellow user.
Take it outside, folks, this isn't cage fighting and 99.9% of the rest of us don't care that you two can't get along on a personal level.

6. Be proactive.
Don't like the direction or attitude in a thread? Well, state your case clearly and concisely. Leave the verbal rocket launcher at home.

9. Don't Post Angry!
It can really make you look like a doofus. Besides, arguing on the internet is stupid. You don't want to be stupid, right? :)

I'm not trying to stir up trouble on this site, just giving the wannabes/newbies a does of reality about what they face if they choose the commuter world. As an independent observer, not involved with the commuter airlines, I call it like I see it.

What's painfully obvious is that while some of you are trying your best to make changes at your commuter, MEANINGFUL changes will not happen. You don't own your flying, therefore if you do get too expensive, the mainline that owns it will just farm it out to someone cheaper. And there will always be someone to fly your current flying (that you don't own) cheaper than you. As mainlines continue to outsource more flying, the jobs at mainline will continue to decline, therefore, more of you will be stuck at the commuter ranks. The problem is for those of you that are/will be stuck at the commuter, the chances of you making it a viable career with good pay, benefits and a retirement are virtually NIL. Just like American Eagle management is saying, they don't want long term, senior pilots employed there. They simply cost them too much money when they could have some newbie making squat, doing the same job. Since management doesn't want you around long term there is ZERO incentive on their part to give a contract that is worthy of making the commuters a career destination.

I'm sorry if you don't agree with how I see the commuter airline industry. I hope that those of you that want out can get out and for those of you that are staying, I hope you can live on what you have, because odds are you aren't going to get much of an improvement in the future.

I'm not trying to stir up trouble on this site, just giving the wannabes/newbies a does of reality about what they face if they choose the commuter world. As an independent observer, not involved with the commuter airlines, I call it like I see it.

What's painfully obvious is that while some of you are trying your best to make changes at your commuter, MEANINGFUL changes will not happen. You don't own your flying, therefore if you do get too expensive, the mainline that owns it will just farm it out to someone cheaper. And there will always be someone to fly your current flying (that you don't own) cheaper than you. As mainlines continue to outsource more flying, the jobs at mainline will continue to decline, therefore, more of you will be stuck at the commuter ranks. The problem is for those of you that are/will be stuck at the commuter, the chances of you making it a viable career with good pay, benefits and a retirement are virtually NIL. Just like American Eagle management is saying, they don't want long term, senior pilots employed there. They simply cost them too much money when they could have some newbie making squat, doing the same job. Since management doesn't want you around long term there is ZERO incentive on their part to give a contract that is worthy of making the commuters a career destination.

I'm sorry if you don't agree with how I see the commuter airline industry. I hope that those of you that want out can get out and for those of you that are staying, I hope you can live on what you have, because odds are you aren't going to get much of an improvement in the future.

Great post. In the future can you post in the manner in which you just did. Instead of with the contempt you've shown in the majority of your other post. It'd help go along way towards mending the peace, and helping you re-establish your rep round' here.

Also, why not help mentor the next gen of pilots and take your anger out where it is best served...management!

Tram, trolls love crap like what you just posted. If you see a troll, don't feed, capiche?

The 'internets' is about the easiest thing on earth man.

Tram- Let the mods do their job. Think someone's a troll, PM one of us. We'll do the calling out because we have the authority and tools to take care of it.

If you think someone's trolling you, don't take the bait. It's like speeding to catch a speeder. When the cop catches up, you're both getting a ticket.

Thanks for clearing up your pov. I now see what you are saying. I don't think anyone goes into the commuters with the thought of staying forever. Like you said, not everyone will make it. That is true, but don't you think it improves our chances? The majors look to the minors for the tallent. You need to have the experience and look good to the majors to have any hope of making it. Everyone going to the regionals is just positioning themselves for the nod to go play "pro ball". We can shape, and mold ourselves into whatever pilot we want to be. Be it through 91, 135, 121, or a combo of all the above. Nobody here flys for the management. We all fly for ourselves. Scabbing aside, however one gets to the level they want is up to them.

Oh, I see exactly what the guy is saying, but I just don't agree with the attitude. If I'm gonna be "stuck" at a regional, then why not fight to get the best I can instead of saying "Well, we don't own the flying, so we better not make it too expensive." If that were the case, XJT would have caved to CAL instead of starting their own thing.

Well, until mainline pilots succeed in rolling back scope clauses, there will be proportionately more and more pilots "stuck" at the regionals. The regional pilots can do nothing about the mainline scope, but can and absolutely should be fighting for better pay and better work rules where they are for as long as they are there. Crappy pay and rules may have been marginally acceptable at the "commuters" when a pilot reasonably could expect to move up after a few years. But that is no longer the case for anyone.

Meantime, regional rates just go up and up and up, with better benefits and work rules than the manline carriers. I know a few dudes at my company who, through clever sheduling, knowledge of the contract, junior-man pay and add-pay, are making more than a mainline 73 Captain. Naturally, that's not possible every month, but when you hear a mainline old-schooler flapping his yap about how the regionals are bringing down the industry, and you can say "Um, not for nothing dude, but I made more than you did last month and I get two more weeks of vacation." It has a somewhat chilling effect on the conversation. :D

What will people find to gripe about next?

CapnJim said:
Alcohol kills brain cells.....

That would explain your post.

The ONLY reason a regional pilot is anywhere near mainline pay is because the regionals have contributed to the mainline pilot's 50% pay cut. So, your friend's pay after going up, up and up are now half of historical mainline pay.

Wow....beat 737 pay for a whole month. That's uhhhhhh, great. I know guys making more flying a Baron than a 3 yr RJ Capt, what's your point?
Face it, it's just lipstick on a pig.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back