Am I nuts?

Told a very younger FO that I flew for Comair and left in 2011.

A)”Never heard of them.”
B) “I was like 12 in 2011.”
1702690309229.jpeg
Awww that’s cute! Did you pinch their cheeks.

Right?! I never flew the Brsillia but it was a gentleman’s airplane. It had an APU and an autopilot, a cockpit door, an FA and a lav.

The rest of us grinded it out in Metros and J31s and Beech 1900s. The lucky ones in Saabs, Shorts, and the elite in the Dash and the Brasillia.

Kids today are spoiled. 😉

What's an APU, a lav, a cockpit door or a flight attendant?

I had to close my own door!

Major airline pilots below 30 don’t know what a Bandit is.

“A plane that stole something?”

True story. Had a newhire at my shop, 26 yrs old. We were talking about Virgin and I mentioned how some guys came from defunct places like ATA and were L1011 Captains before.

FO: “What’s that?” (re: L1011)

***le sigh***

Maybe I’m just a massive nerd, but I’ve never understood pilots like that. I’ve met people at SJI that want nothing to do with a 757 because they think the cockpit is too old and outdated..

I guess I’ve always equated interest in aviation with thinking older planes and airline history is cool.

"OMG Clocks everywhere!"

Don't worry, the same pilots that scream "ooh, mad dog… GROSS" were the same morons prancing around with the "Save the Mad Dogs" meme in some sort of fake nostalgia for a plane they were too good to fly.

I guess I’ve always equated interest in aviation with thinking older planes and airline history is cool.

That's pretty much how I got interested in it. So I do find it surprising that a pilot would know that little about airline history- especially being unfamiliar with an aircraft as remarkable as the L-1011.

It also surprises me that the 757 cockpit would be considered outdated, since it and the 767 have by far the most capable avionics I've flown with, though it's true you can tell the cockpit is a somewhat earlier design than the EMB-145s I was flying previously.

I’ve met people at SJI that want nothing to do with a 757 because they think the cockpit is too old and outdated..

Damn man. That is weak sauce. I don't GAF about WB, international, and most other things, as long as the paycheck and QOL is good. But one very specific regret I do have with my choice, is that I will never fly a 757 here. She is the hottest, all legs girl, in the sky. I don't get at all excited when I look at airliners. I probably can't correctly identify between a 777 vs a 330 vs a 350 and maybe a 787. Might even get tricked by an A300 in that match the name to the picture trivia. I know a 757 though.....only airliner I ever thought looked good. Sadly the 4 FTD + 4 FFS hours I have in her will likely be my only experience.

Last edited:
Damn man. That is weak sauce. I don't GAF about WB, international, and most other things, as long as the paycheck and QOL is good. But one very specific regret I do have with my choice, is that I will never fly a 757 here. She is the hottest, all legs girl, in the sky. I don't get at all excited when I look at airliners. I probably can't correctly identify between a 777 vs a 330 vs a 350 and maybe a 787. Might even get tricked by an A300 in that match the name to the picture trivia. I know a 757 though.....only airliner I ever thought looked good. Sadly the 4 FTD + 4 FFS hours I have in her will likely be my only experience.

Tell a UAL/DL guy you can't tell the difference between a 777/350/767......would be like saying to an F16 guy "oh that's the plane in Top Gun right?" Prepare for head explosion....They live for that s#it.

C, reverse C, little C, big C, inverted C, double C, D-O-double C, C-I-E-I-O has entered the chat

During upgrade training, I think it was MT1? I had to configure the bleeds for a no bleeds takeoff. I got my iPad out and methodically followed the steps. Then after takeoff I did the same.

The instructor noted my diligence and adherence to following the checklist methodically.

I looked at him and said: “that’s the first time I’ve been able to finished the checklist without a captain reaching over and impatiently flipping switches while exclaiming: ‘REVERSE C!’”

Usually we haven’t even gotten to 2000 before that happens and we have until 17K before it becomes and issue but what do I know

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

During upgrade training, I think it was MT1? I had to configure the bleeds for a no bleeds takeoff. I got my iPad out and methodically followed the steps. Then after takeoff I did the same.

The instructor noted my diligence and adherence to following the checklist methodically.

I looked at him and said: “that’s the first time I’ve been able to finished the checklist without a captain reaching over and impatiently flipping switches while exclaiming: ‘REVERSE C!’”

Usually we haven’t even gotten to 2000 before that happens and we have until 17K before it becomes and issue but what do I know

I know at this point I’m just tryna get through and be an asset instead of a liability on the line (so cooperate and graduate is in full effect), but flipping bleed switches around in a non-normal configuration from memory right after first thrust reduction seems kinda nuts to me

Last edited:
Back at Great White, new hires started percolating in after the bad naughties. It was the first time the airline had been exposed to new hires who may have trained in G1000 and went on to fly only glass. Lo and behold, they get to the frozen tundra to find out they were going into the DC-9.

They had to purchase two, very expensive (at the time), fixed base DC-9 fixed base trainers to get people spooled up on how to do things locomotive style. They were touch screen with pretty decent visuals. Mind you, we were still flying VOR and NDB approaches at the time.

The DC-9 was easy to fly, but you had to have good SA and relatively decent hand flying skills, because the AP was essentially a wing leveler with altitude hold.

And some old salt in the training department will want you to reconfigure that bleed panel from a no bleed takeoff, from memory, starting at accel height!

Hypothetically of course
It could happen
At another airline

The best of 1960s technology, today!1!1!

On the bus, you simply leave the APU running with the APU bleed on. Engine bleeds will automatically be closed in that configuration.

Then, after thrust reduction and workload permitting, two button presses. One for the APU bleed, one for the APU itself.

I know at this point I’m just tryna get through and be an asset instead of a liability on the line (so cooperate and graduate is in full effect), but flipping bleed switches around in a non-normal configuration from memory right after first thrust reduction seems kinda nuts to me

While hand flying too. And I never, didn’t see it. 5 years and I could never do it fast enough for someone to reach over and flip the switches around.

Back