Am I nuts?

While hand flying too. And I never, didn’t see it. 5 years and I could never do it fast enough for someone to reach over and flip the switches around.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I’m sure the company really appreciates the .05 hrs of APU run time and 5 lbs of fuel that saved

During upgrade training, I think it was MT1? I had to configure the bleeds for a no bleeds takeoff. I got my iPad out and methodically followed the steps. Then after takeoff I did the same.

The instructor noted my diligence and adherence to following the checklist methodically.

I looked at him and said: “that’s the first time I’ve been able to finished the checklist without a captain reaching over and impatiently flipping switches while exclaiming: ‘REVERSE C!’”

Usually we haven’t even gotten to 2000 before that happens and we have until 17K before it becomes and issue but what do I know

This is the way

“One doesn’t need to worry about a bleeds off takeoff if one doesn’t have bleed air to begin with.”

- Sun Tzu
1702768917429.gif

My experience is probably too minimal to really observe a trend, but on the rare occasions I have done bleed off T/O's, the CA's have been very much on board with me using the iPad supplemental page. Same with de-icing de/reconfiguring. But I also always brief that I'm going to do exactly that and not rush things. Probably just happened to not fly with the old -200/-400 guys on those flights though.

My experience is probably too minimal to really observe a trend, but on the rare occasions I have done bleed off T/O's, the CA's have been very much on board with me using the iPad supplemental page. Same with de-icing de/reconfiguring. But I also always brief that I'm going to do exactly that and not rush things. Probably just happened to not fly with the old -200/-400 guys on those flights though.

A lot of those guys took Covid leaves during 2020-21. It's pretty much universally said on the line "a lot of the bad apples left during covid".

Of course I still took an upgrade ASAP in 2023 ;)

As a CA, I fully support the FO reading the supp procedure and methodically doing the bleeds off procedure.

As a CA with thousands of hours on the plane now, I also now the gist of it is the APU will supply only the left pack for takeoff.

I know that means both engine bleeds off, APU bleed on, Packs in Auto, and xflow closed. Duct pressure, I expect the R needle to be 0 and the L needle to be at a normal value which is not zero. Auto, close, auto at the top. Off, on, off at the bottom, And verify R needle at 0, L needle has duct pressure.

Don't know why that's hard. I also see people looking at switch positions only, and not really glancing at the duct pressure gauge - which really is the true measure of verifying what you meant to do.

Once in the air, it's reverse C to fix it. Right bleed goes on. You get R duct pressure to come up (that's your verify stage). APU bleed off, you'll see L duct needle go towards 0, then left bleed on. L duct pressure goes up to a nominal value. At the top, Auto/Auto/Auto. And once done, verify both duct needles are at normal values, NOT at zero. If either of the duct pressures are at 0, you messed something up.

As a CA, I fully support the FO reading the supp procedure and methodically doing the bleeds off procedure.

As a CA with thousands of hours on the plane now, I also now the gist of it is the APU will supply only the left pack for takeoff.

I know that means both engine bleeds off, APU bleed on, Packs in Auto, and xflow closed. Duct pressure, I expect the R needle to be 0 and the L needle to be at a normal value which is not zero. Auto, close, auto at the top. Off, on, off at the bottom, And verify R needle at 0, L needle has duct pressure.

Don't know why that's hard. I also see people looking at switch positions only, and not really glancing at the duct pressure gauge - which really is the true measure of verifying what you meant to do.

Once in the air, it's reverse C to fix it. Right bleed goes on. You get R duct pressure to come up (that's your verify stage). APU bleed off, you'll see L duct needle go towards 0, then left bleed on. L duct pressure goes up to a nominal value. At the top, Auto/Auto/Auto. And once done, verify both duct needles are at normal values, NOT at zero. If either of the duct pressures are at 0, you messed something up.

It all comes down what is safer?

Do you want to do something from memory when there is a list that tells you how to do it properly? While hand flying?

Or just let your FO do it from a list?

I’ve done a few of these as CA and not only do I not reach over and flip any switches while hand flying. I remind the FO that it isn’t a race to flip the switches the fastest. Use the checklist and be methodical. I also remind them that they have over 8 minutes to accomplish the checklist if we climb at an average of 2K per minute to 17K.

A lot of those guys took Covid leaves during 2020-21. It's pretty much universally said on the line "a lot of the bad apples left during covid".

Of course I still took an upgrade ASAP in 2023 ;)
I’ve had a pretty good experience in my just over 2 years as well, though I was only Seattle based for about 9 months or so. The PDX crews are definitely laid back comparatively.

I’ve had a pretty good experience in my just over 2 years as well, though I was only Seattle based for about 9 months or so. The PDX crews are definitely laid back comparatively.

In 5 years I had one person on my no fly bid. Which has to be updated monthly. That was after a very disappointing call to pro standards.

If I had only had to fly out of SEA for 9 months I would have never had a bad experience. My last month as an FO I flew with PDX crews a lot and it was entirely different vibe than SEA.

Maybe it’s just personal preference but I always found the DC-9/maddog overhead panel to be more overwhelming - like Douglas just took the FE panel and turned it horizontal above the pilots’ heads. At least the guppy has different colored panels and you can kinda orient yourself. Kids these days don’t realize how good they have it. :)

1702848402964.jpeg

1702848534646.jpeg

1702848575165.jpeg

1702848489756.jpeg

(Edit: The stall warning test switch is a landing light style switch for… reasons?)

Last edited:
Back