Jumpseat Etiquette- What would you do?

Did you ask if she had consumed any mushrooms, say…in the last 48 hrs? Asking for a friend. Too soon?

What are these “jetways” you speak of and lines of people boarding (self loading cargo)?

Gawd, did I ever retire at the right time! Whole industry is going to hell in a handbasket!

Another point: If you list, check in, and board as a JSer, you are considered an Additional Crew Member, regardless of where you sit. The CA needs to know who/where crew members are. I think this helps drive the “check in with CA” requirement.

Many (many!) moons ago, I learned this the hard way…

It’s also why most FOMs prohibit alcohol consumption by JSers, even with a cabin seat. Sucks, but them’s the rules…

IMG_1252.jpeg

Supporting documentation…

Attachments

• IMG_1253.jpeg
    IMG_1253.jpeg
    971.3 KB · Views: 14
Don't forget, on SWA you're expected to board right after the wheelchairs and before general boarding. This is to give you time meet the crew, show your docs, to stow your gear and be out of the way for pax.

Sit anywhere except the exit row. I know it's stupid but the FAs won't be happy if you sit in the exit row. That the closest thing we have to first class and they want to save it for the frequent fliers.

I -in plane clothes, flying on my own airline with no bags- had to take the JS to get home. No biggie. An offline in uniform checked in at the last min, also no biggie. But, with at least twenty people still in line in the jet bridge (including me) she pushed her way down and to end of the bridge. She then proceeded to try to push her way in to the line in front of me to get on the plane. When I inquired as to what she was doing; she proceeds to scoff, roll her eyes mumbles something that sounded like "well I'm up front". She looked young so I try to give her the benefit of the doubt and I say she can wait a second. The whole situation was a little off putting. My question is, what would you say in this situation? I've never felt the need to rush on to the plane to get in to the JS - especially on an airline that isn't mine. Also the comment of 'well I'm up front'? Ma'am so am I... Coming up an old timer told me to wait for revenue pax to get on and keep your bags in the JB till after you check in and see where the crew would like them stored- especially on an airline that isn't your own. Thoughts?
I always laughed at people that would still run and be in a huge hurry once they had scanned their boarding pass. Once you pass the gate agent you no longer need to be in a hurry. The door is the hard stop.

I used to watch pax do it all the time when parking at the hardstands in CLT. Employees should know better.

Don't forget, on SWA you're expected to board right after the wheelchairs and before general boarding. This is to give you time meet the crew, show your docs, to stow your gear and be out of the way for pax.

Sit anywhere except the exit row. I know it's stupid but the FAs won't be happy if you sit in the exit row. That the closest thing we have to first class and they want to save it for the frequent fliers.

SWA jumpseat is the best thing since sliced bread. You guys do an amazing job at taking care of jumpseaters. The best in the business.

Now if you could just move to an all Airbus fleet, the jumpseat would be sublime. :)

But it never works that way. Can’t tell you how many SWA gate agents screw up sending wheelchairs down first, then those who need to meet the Capt. All that ends up happening is that the other preboards, and then A1 - A30 start coming down the jetway, themselves jammed up behind those who need to visit the Capt, who are jammed up behind wheelchair people taking a long time to even get onboard. Who all get further jammed up by the person(s) needing to say hi to the Capt.

But it never works that way. Can’t tell you how many SWA gate agents screw up sending wheelchairs down first, then those who need to meet the Capt. All that ends up happening is that the other preboards, and then A1 - A30 start coming down the jetway, themselves jammed up behind those who need to visit the Capt, who are jammed up behind wheelchair people taking a long time to even get onboard. Who all get further jammed up by the person(s) needing to say hi to the Capt.

Everyone should probably check in with the Captain. I always pop my head around and say "hey guys, I'm a pilot"

No wAAy. Riding the jumpseat? Come down before all the passengers, set your stuff in the doorway and come up front while the crew is trying to review the logbook/get out to do the walkaround. Maybe that was an MD-80 or Boeing thing, but we have plenty of room for you and your bags on the bus. Please come down last. :)
Make sure to toss the boarding card on pedestal and rest one foot on it. "Imma be on your jumpseat".

I always laughed at people that would still run and be in a huge hurry once they had scanned their boarding pass. Once you pass the gate agent you no longer need to be in a hurry. The door is the hard stop.

I used to watch pax do it all the time when parking at the hardstands in CLT. Employees should know better.
So you know I kind of get this. I don’t get speeding tickets often, but when I do it’s right after I’ve transitioned from a higher speed limit to another. Even when I know the limit changes. It just takes me a second to de-escalate my urgency.

My solution… I rush for damn near nothing now.

So you know I kind of get this. I don’t get speeding tickets often, but when I do it’s right after I’ve transitioned from a higher speed limit to another. Even when I know the limit changes. It just takes me a second to de-escalate my urgency.

My solution… I rush for damn near nothing now.
I think I got my only speeding ticket back in '91 or '92. I was driving a black '90 Chevy Beretta GTZ, small car, 180hp Oldsmobile Quad 4, front wheel drive and a 5-speed. It was late at night and I was a bit exuberant leaving a stop sign accelerating around a corner and braking to enter the freeway and then accelerating up the on ramp and continued trying to find out how fast that car was. Unbeknownst to me there was a CHP officer sitting in a Stop N Go parking lot caddy corner to the stop sign where I'd started this adventure that witnessed my malfeasance, it must've taken him a couple of seconds to put down his snacks or drinks but he took off in hot pursuit. Meanwhile I'd gotten up to about 130 (it was a fun car but that was about as fast as it was capable of) going downhill on the 2 freeway leaving La Canada headed downhill to Glendale so I slowed down and mixed in with traffic in the right lanes, that's when I saw the red and blue lights and high beams coming up real fast from behind in the fast lane. I got a bit nervous but I was going the speed limit so I didn't do anything drastic, I didn't even hit my brakes, just kept pace with the sparse traffic around me. The CHP car went blowing past me at full tilt downhill, I figured I'd dodged a bullet. And then he slammed on his brakes, by the time he got directly behind me I was already pulling onto the shoulder. He was an excited Officer and I was just trying to stay cool. Hands on the wheel, interior lights on, and every answer would be "Yes sir" or "No sir". He asked for all of the stuff, license, registration and insurance. He took all of that back to his car and checked it without issue. And then he came walking back up to the car with my stuff, and his ticket book. He explained to me the genesis of his pursuit and I admitted that I was the scofflaw that piqued his interest late on a Saturday night. He'd calmed down a lot and explained that he'd gotten up to 140 trying to catch me, I apologized and told him "I just wanted to see what it would do, you went faster than I did". He gave me a break, a ticket for 85 in a 65. I signed the ticket, we shook hands and both went on our merry way. It hurt my insurance for a while but that was 30 years ago. It was a different time.

He'd calmed down a lot and explained that he'd gotten up to 140 trying to catch me, I apologized and told him "I just wanted to see what it would do, you went faster than I did". He gave me a break, a ticket for 85 in a 65. I signed the ticket, we shook hands and both went on our merry way. It hurt my insurance for a while but that was 30 years ago. It was a different time.

Sounds like a fair deal. I imagine lots of us walked away with much less of the book thrown at us, than could have been, on the roads as youngsters. I kinda hope that is a rite of passage that isn't gone today, at least for those who aren't stupid about it.

I think I got my only speeding ticket back in '91 or '92. I was driving a black '90 Chevy Beretta GTZ, small car, 180hp Oldsmobile Quad 4, front wheel drive and a 5-speed. It was late at night and I was a bit exuberant leaving a stop sign accelerating around a corner and braking to enter the freeway and then accelerating up the on ramp and continued trying to find out how fast that car was. Unbeknownst to me there was a CHP officer sitting in a Stop N Go parking lot caddy corner to the stop sign where I'd started this adventure that witnessed my malfeasance, it must've taken him a couple of seconds to put down his snacks or drinks but he took off in hot pursuit. Meanwhile I'd gotten up to about 130 (it was a fun car but that was about as fast as it was capable of) going downhill on the 2 freeway leaving La Canada headed downhill to Glendale so I slowed down and mixed in with traffic in the right lanes, that's when I saw the red and blue lights and high beams coming up real fast from behind in the fast lane. I got a bit nervous but I was going the speed limit so I didn't do anything drastic, I didn't even hit my brakes, just kept pace with the sparse traffic around me. The CHP car went blowing past me at full tilt downhill, I figured I'd dodged a bullet. And then he slammed on his brakes, by the time he got directly behind me I was already pulling onto the shoulder. He was an excited Officer and I was just trying to stay cool. Hands on the wheel, interior lights on, and every answer would be "Yes sir" or "No sir". He asked for all of the stuff, license, registration and insurance. He took all of that back to his car and checked it without issue. And then he came walking back up to the car with my stuff, and his ticket book. He explained to me the genesis of his pursuit and I admitted that I was the scofflaw that piqued his interest late on a Saturday night. He'd calmed down a lot and explained that he'd gotten up to 140 trying to catch me, I apologized and told him "I just wanted to see what it would do, you went faster than I did". He gave me a break, a ticket for 85 in a 65. I signed the ticket, we shook hands and both went on our merry way. It hurt my insurance for a while but that was 30 years ago. It was a different time.
Nice. I used to drive home for most weekends during college which was about a 2 hour drive. Doing it a lot I just kind of zoned out and tried to get it over with. Got pulled over once doing 95 in a 70. The cop asked me why I was going so fast. “I guess it just got away from me”. His response “son, it’s a Camry!” Ok. Fair enough.

Just got pulled over for speeding a couple of weeks ago. Full grown Smokey barely said a word to me… he and my wife had a good conversation. Im not really sure who was flirting with who but it got me a warning so…

Back