Jumpseat Etiquette- What would you do?

Not to hijack the thread, but another question regarding JS etiquette..

After years in the 91/91k/134.5/135 world I've been commuting to the airlines for a little over a year now. 95% of the time in uniform, on an RJ, and end up getting a seat in the back. I usually ask the gate agent (once they give me a seat) if I can go down with pre-boards to check in with the crew and always get told "yeah no problem." So I'll go down with the pre-boards just so I can pop in the cockpit and introduce myself/let them know I made it on with a seat in the back. On the RJs there's not a ton of room in the galley and I hate when I have a big line of people behind me and I end up holding up the line while I'm sticking my head in the cockpit doing the whole song and dance. AITA for going down early with the pre-boards so I don't hold up the main boarding line?

Regarding this situation, assuming I already had a seat (in the back or JS) I probably wouldn't have been bothered to say anything.. That said, when I've had to rush to catch a commute and they're already boarding I just stand in line with everyone else. Nothing I can do at that point once there's already a line in the jetbridge. I figure I'm either going to inconvenience others by pushing past everyone to get down to the bottom, or I'm going to inconvenience people in line behind me when I have to hold up the line for a minute to check in with the crew. So I just wait my turn in line.
Only a single data point, but as an RJ CA, I actually prefer it when jumpseaters come down early if they've got a seat in the back. Let's me get the whole song and dance out of the way before I have to start playing "balance the teeter totter" for the millionth time.

I would actually prefer the industry change to NOT requiring checking in if you have a seat in the back (you're basically a passenger in my mind at that point), but until then I will continue to comply with our procedures.

Also, until this changes, for the love of God please at least make it sound like a request when you stop in. I'll never say no, but respect the tradition until it dies.

Only a single data point, but as an RJ CA, I actually prefer it when jumpseaters come down early if they've got a seat in the back. Let's me get the whole song and dance out of the way.

I would actually prefer the industry change to NOT requiring checking in if you have a seat in the back (you're basically a passenger in my mind at that point), but until then I will continue to comply with our procedures.

Also, until this changes, for the love of God please at least make it sound like a request when you stop in. I'll never say no, but respect the tradition until it dies.
Seat In the back, means I don’t care when you board and the song and dance will take about 2 seconds. Jumpseat? Let’s make this as painless and the least amount of time possible, board last and get off first :)

Ok so let me see if I got the story straight.

You in line to check in for a jumpseat on your own metal.

Her on offline pilot skipping the line to checkin for *check arithmetic* an offline jumpseat.

What do you say? Nothing to the other pilot. To the gate agent “hi, I’m here to check in for the jump. Can I head on down?”
I believe this happened on the jet bridge boarding the aircraft, meaning they were both already checked in on an aircraft with two jumpseats. The issue is the OP was patiently waiting near the end of the line to board whereas the offline jumpseater pushed past everyone (including paying passengers) to get onboard.

Personally, I would probably roll my eyes but not say anything. I’m not here to parent the world, I just want to go home.

I believe this happened on the jet bridge boarding the aircraft, meaning they were both already checked in on an aircraft with two jumpseats. The issue is the OP was patiently waiting near the end of the line to board whereas the offline jumpseater pushed past everyone (including paying passengers) to get onboard.

Personally, I would probably roll my eyes but not say anything. I’m not here to parent the world, I just want to go home.
Ohhh I see. Yeah. Eye roll at most.

It's sad. Even the crews hate flying 121 as passengers, I think towards the rear galley all airliners should have a couple of rows removed and a boxing ring set up with the big inflatable gloves. None of these people would last more than 60 seconds before they ran out of steam. If someone gets rowdy on a flight, let the other passengers find their champion and let it roll. It won't last more than a couple of minutes and then everyone will quietly go on with their day.

Only a single data point, but as an RJ CA, I actually prefer it when jumpseaters come down early if they've got a seat in the back. Let's me get the whole song and dance out of the way before I have to start playing "balance the teeter totter" for the millionth time.

You beat me to it. I always thought checking in when I’m riding in the back is stupid. At that point I’m a deadheader. But like you say, it’s tradition.

You beat me to it. I always thought checking in when I’m riding in the back is stupid. At that point I’m a deadheader. But like you say, it’s tradition.

At my shop, checking in with the flight deck/CA is specifically not required if issued a cabin seat. A lot of folks still do, even our own pilots, so I guess maybe it is still seen as a courtesy even when the FOM says otherwise. Some of them bring treats like smoked salmon they made, which is cool.

I thought I’ve read tales here about some Captains getting very upset with jumpseaters sitting in the back and failing to introduce themselves.

I thought I’ve read tales here about some Captains getting very upset with jumpseaters sitting in the back and failing to introduce themselves.
Yes, these guys.
IMG_0115.jpeg

Jumpseaters (offline pilots in the back), maybe. Non-revs (standby in the back on own metal without a jumpseat listing), no.

If you aren’t riding your own metal or your own branding on a regional partner and you didn’t buy an ID-90 or a ticket, just say hi to the pilots and ask for the ride nicely.

When my dad was still alive we'd go to the coffee and cars in La Canada occasionally on Saturday morning. You'd be amazed what people have in their garages just itching for a reason, any reason, to drive it and show it off. I love the guys in that picture but if I were to hazard a guess they all lost a bet and had to cut up their $500 jeans, nobody leaves the house looking that silly.

This was one of the interesting cultural changes going from VX to AS. With VX, you better come up and say hi. If you were company or not, the CA would have the FAs bring you up to say hey if they didn't do it. At AS, it was put out to basically not come up and say hey unless you were taking the JS...

When my dad was still alive we'd go to the coffee and cars in La Canada occasionally on Saturday morning. You'd be amazed what people have in their garages just itching for a reason, any reason, to drive it and show it off. I love the guys in that picture but if I were to hazard a guess they all lost a bet and had to cut up their $500 jeans, nobody leaves the house looking that silly.
Photoshop.

Photoshop.
I don't know, retired dudes with a rowdy streak sometimes get into some weird things when they congregate. You know all about it. Up in your neck of the woods in the winter they all get bundled up and hop on their snowmobiles to hop from bar to bar on the shoulders of the highway. Don't deny it, you know it's true.

Back