Delta's Turn in the media...kicking passenger off for using bathroom.

Avgirl

http://abcnews.go.com/US/delta-passenger-kicked-off-flight-bathroom-emergency/story?id=47050235

New video has emerged of a Wisconsin man who said he was forced off a Milwaukee-bound Delta Air Lines flight after he used the bathroom while the plane was delayed on the tarmac.

Video posted to Youtube showed the man, later identified as Kima Hamilton of Milwaukee, Wisconsin, as he argued with a Delta crew member who asked him to exit the plane on April 18.

Fellow passenger Krista Rosolino, who recorded the video, described the incident in an open letter published to a blog.

Rosolino said that Hamilton got out of his seat to quickly use the bathroom as the plane sat on the runway.

She said he was told that he couldn't use the bathroom the first time he asked to go. After waiting 30 minutes, Hamilton said it was an emergency and went to the restroom, according to Rosolino.

When he returned to his seat, however, a Delta employee told him to exit the plane.

"I need more information, sir," Hamilton is heard saying in the video. "I haven't done anything. I paid for this ticket and ... I have to be home."

"I tried to hold it the first time and you said I absolutely couldn't and I'm being kicked off the plane?” Hamilton said, before the employee responded, "I need to talk to you outside."

Hamilton said later that as plane was delayed in taking off, and he could no longer wait to use the bathroom, that is why he got up.

"Sometime later, we were still taxied [and] the plane hadn't moved...and it's at an emergency stage now," Hamilton told ABC affiliate WISN on Wednesday.

Describing Hamilton as a "nice gentleman" who played hide and seek with her infant as they waited to take off, Rosolino called the incident "the most outrageous treatment of a paying customer that I have seen."

She said the flight crew made everyone get off the plane and then re-board after the incident.

"Not only did your staff truly harm and humiliate one person who was forced to pay hundreds of dollars for a new same-day flight, but you forced the rest of us passengers to endure a 2 hour saga of watching a man being targeted for having a bathroom emergency," she said.

Hamilton said he eventually complied and exited the plan. He told WISN that he was greeted by FBI agents, who he said came to arrest him, but ultimately decided not to.

He said that he was forced to buy a ticket on another airline at three times the price to get back to Milwaukee.

Hamilton, who is black, told ABC News he was concerned his race may have been a factor, adding that he has not retained an attorney but is keeping his legal options open.

Over email, a Delta spokesperson said that Hamilton was removed from the plane because he did not comply with instructions.

In an accompanying statement sent by the same spokesperson, Delta said it was important for passengers to comply with crew members' instructions.

"Our flight crews are extensively trained to ensure the safety and security of all customers," the statement read. "It is imperative that passengers comply with crew instructions during all phases of flight, especially at the critical points of takeoff and landing."

I don't know why this is only now in the news...but in this case, I agree with the crew and Delta on this call. Nothing irks me more than those passengers that need to use the bathroom as soon as the seatbelt sign goes off. Why anyone prefers those tiny bathrooms compared to the ones in the terminal is beyond me. Making all the passengers deplane which I am sure others needed to use the bathroom as well, but held it, because he couldn't follow instructions just shows a huge lack of respect for flight crew instructions. Atlanta has plenty of restrooms that he could have used before boarding. If you do have a condition like people are up in arms about in comment sections about this, I would think that you would know how to prepare yourself for flights...

I agree on question of gate return but we don't know whole story. I see the entire deplane replane as the new standard for any issue to get someone to deplane.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Seems unnecessary but maybe there's something we didn't see on the video.

Otherwise, inconveniencing an entire plane in order to make a point and jerk around one passenger around seems to be a bit ridiculous.

What's the alternative? Let him soil himself and create a biohazard in which case you're going to be returning to the gate anyway? And probably be facing an ADA lawsuit if the guy had a diagnosed medical condition that prevents him from holding it like a normal person can?

Seems like the easiest course of action for everyone involved would have been to hold, let him go, and continue on.

You've never had to pee at an inconvenient time?

Not in that timeframe. Rule of thumb anytime I fly...use the bathroom in the terminal before I board, and I never board early. I can count on one hand the times I have used a lav on a domestic flight. They are gross, so I avoid it.

Not in that timeframe. Rule of thumb anytime I fly...use the bathroom in the terminal before I board, and I never board early. I can count on one hand the times I have used a lav on a domestic flight. They are gross, so I avoid it.

Well they were sitting in the plane for at least 30 minutes after the first time he asked. Who knows how long they were waiting before then?

I propose we give the traveling public what they're asking for.

Utter anarchy.
Want to go pee whenever you want to go pee? Go ahead.
Want to stroll around going tai chi in the aisles when the seatbelt sign is on? Knock yourself out.
Won't exit the jet when instructed? Stay as long as you'd like an deal with the person who is supposed to be in the seat.
Want that first class seat? Go ahead and compete in feats of strength against the rightful owner. Winner take all, and that meal choice.

LETS DO THIS! WAAAOOO!

Utter anarchy.
Want to stroll around going tai chi in the aisles when the seatbelt sign is on? Knock yourself out.
Won't exit the jet when instructed? Stay as long as you'd like an deal with the person who is supposed to be in the seat.
Want that first class seat? Go ahead and compete in feats of strength against the rightful owner. Winner take all, and that meal choice.

LETS DO THIS! WAAAOOO!

I saw a flight attendant allow that once on a DL flight from MCO to ATL. Didn't want to deal with the arguing, so she allowed a passenger to sleep laying across all three seats without a seat belt fastened, and that individual promptly rolled off those seats at landing and hit the seats in front of him. I think this FA might have been having a bad day, or was on a power trip, because she also had pax move to balance out the plane because it wasn't full without the CA knowing. I wonder if that pax got money out of that error in judgment? I got a boat load of SkyMiles letting DL know about it. ;) No, it wasn't a regional flight.

First Annual Aviation Hunger Games!

When you effectively have hundreds of people, many that don't see the overall impact of mutual cooperation, you have the Hunger Games.

One persons inability to wait is impacting an entire jet, then hundreds of people in jets behind them and downline problems with connections, meetings, cruises, vacations, but "***I*** want what I want when I want it".

I saw a flight attendant allow that once on a DL flight from MCO to ATL. Didn't want to deal with the arguing, so she allowed a passenger to sleep laying across all three seats without a seat belt fastened, and that individual promptly rolled off those seats at landing and hit the seats in front of him. I think this FA might have been having a bad day, or was on a power trip, because she also had pax move to balance out the plane because it wasn't full without the CA knowing. I wonder if that pax got money out of that error in judgment? I got a boat load of SkyMiles letting DL know about it. ;) No, it wasn't a regional flight.

Nope, you bear all responsibility for injury after failing to comply.

And if there was damage to the jet or injury to adjacent passengers, you'll most likely be sued for legal expenses. Just like a person who misbehaves on an international flight which leads to a mid ocean diversion, they recompense millions per year in fees.

When you effectively have hundreds of people, many that don't see the overall impact of mutual cooperation, you have the Hunger Games.

One persons inability to wait is impacting an entire jet, then hundreds of people in jets behind them and downline problems with connections, meetings, cruises, vacations, but "***I*** want what I want when I want it".
Indeed. It's now become, let me inconvenience the masses because I want something. Doesn't matter if I screw everyone over.

Utter anarchy.

LETS DO THIS! WAAAOOO!
Sounds like the Emirates flight I had 2 years ago.
But with more bare feet and spitting

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Dear pilots,

Stop over-empowering flight attendants.

Thank you

Keep in mind that all you have to go on is the video shot by, and blogged about by an activist lawyer couple who not only interjected themselves into the situation, but attempted to start a sit in on the airplane when it returned to the gate.

You have no information about the interaction between the actual passenger and flight attendant which led to the decision to remove an uncooperative and argumentative passenger.

But whatever, SJW on!

So what do you propose? Piss right there in the seat?

Assuming it's a story of a guy having to get up and go to the bathroom, why not just let him go and call the FD and tell the pilots we have a pax in the bathroom. That's happened to me several times and we just stop until they're out. It sucks, but what can you do?

In the words of Jeff Goldblum's Ian Malcom in Jurassic Park: "When you gotta go, you gotta go."

Keep in mind that all you have to go on is the video shot by, and blogged about by an activist lawyer couple who not only interjected themselves into the situation, but attempted to start a sit in on the airplane when it returned to the gate.

You have no information about the interaction between the actual passenger and flight attendant which led to the decision to remove an uncooperative and argumentative passenger.

But whatever, SJW on!

I could only imagine being captain, having a flight attendant that we've got a non-compliant passenger onboard and the internet expecting me to hold an interphone investigation and negotiation session #1 for takeoff.

Back