Delta's Turn in the media...kicking passenger off for using bathroom.

So what do you propose? Piss right there in the seat?

Assuming it's a story of a guy having to get up and go to the bathroom, why not just let him go and call the FD and tell the pilots we have a pax in the bathroom. That's happened to me several times and we just stop until they're out. It sucks, but what can you do?

In the words of Jeff Goldblum's Ian Malcom in Jurassic Park: "When you gotta go, you gotta go."

While my personal opinion is to let the guy pee, and that's what the FA did, she then, based on her convo with the passenger called the captain and reported an argumentative and uncooperative passenger. Like @Derg said, are you going to hold a fact finding mission and interrogation over the interphone?

So what do you propose? Piss right there in the seat?

Assuming it's a story of a guy having to get up and go to the bathroom, why not just let him go and call the FD and tell the pilots we have a pax in the bathroom. That's happened to me several times and we just stop until they're out. It sucks, but what can you do?

In the words of Jeff Goldblum's Ian Malcom in Jurassic Park: "When you gotta go, you gotta go."

I literally can't wait until you make the jump from the right seat to the left seat, get that first year sheen off and how you'd handle it.

Believe me, I used to be a know-it-all copilot and got a face full of "Oh Derg, that fuzzy kitty and Hawaiian Punch world that you thought you lived in from the right seat is cute but THIS IS SPARTA, TRICK!" :)

I could only imagine being captain, having a flight attendant that we've got a non-compliant passenger onboard and the internet expecting me to hold an interphone investigation and negotiation session #1 for takeoff.

If I could just interject with a true story. Lead calls us, CA takes the call (I listen as well by selecting the cabin).
"Hey, I have a guest not listening to our instructions and he won't stop. He won't comply, can we go back to the gate?"
"Um, what exactly happened?"
"He wants to go the bathroom and says he can't hold it, but I told him no we are on an active taxiway about to takeoff. He won't listen."
"Ok, how about let him go, but call us back as soon as he's out?"
with a hint of annoyance in his voice, he says just: "Fine."

So with that small snippet, who do you think was the bigger problem?

Best ever was one lead stepping into the flight deck right after boarding finished and just go on and on about the most random and smallest of things to pick on for passengers getting on the plane in SFO, headed to JFK. Literally just mindless rabble rabble about nothing, really.

CA's response was a simple, "they're New Yorkers, leave 'em alone."

LOL! I was like..................

ZS5J9BM.gif

Where is common sense in all of this? A) use the bathroom before you board, B) in the 30 minutes between the first request and when he actually went, you're telling me you couldn't let him use the bathroom?

Delta deserves all the blowback they're gonna get, but at the same time this guy should have planned better and most likely deserved to be booted for disobeying a crew instruction. He seemed pretty calm though in the YouTube videos when making his case, even though he failed to realize that he did in fact do something wrong.

Still, airlines need to include some common sense training or something. This shouldn't have been that hard or gone as far as it did.

@Cherokee_Cruiser

How in the world do you know that the situation wasn't handled like this?

You don't, nor do I.

I've had passengers get up to use the restroom and generally the question is "let me know when they're down" so we can move.

No one is going to simply go back to the gate because the flight attendant says so. Noooooobody.

Oh, I'm ready for you to upgrade! :)

Where is common sense in all of this? A) use the bathroom before you board, B) in the 30 minutes between the first request and when he actually went, you're telling me you couldn't let him use the bathroom?

Delta deserves all the blowback they're gonna get, but at the same time this guy should have planned better and most likely deserved to be booted for disobeying a crew instruction. He seemed pretty calm though in the YouTube videos when making his case, even though he failed to realize that he did in fact do something wrong.

Still, airlines need to include some common sense training or something. This shouldn't have been that hard or gone as far as it did.

Delta is not going to get blowback. It's going to disappear when the next "OMG! THIS ACTUALLY HAPPENED!" news story hits the press. Remember Delta's IT meltdown? No one else does except Delta, and it certainly isn't in the media anymore.

@Cherokee_Cruiser

How in the world do you know that the situation wasn't handled like this?

You don't, nor do I.

I've had passengers get up to use the restroom and generally the question is "let me know when they're down" so we can move.

No one is going to simply go back to the gate because the flight attendant says so. Noooooobody.

Oh, I'm ready for you to upgrade! :)

Well when ya get all the facts, let us know :)

It will be reserve in SFO, which is across the country. :confused: Decisions, decisions

*which is why I had a UAL jumpseater converted to a non-rev and into civilian clothes and instructed my cabin crew to take real good care of him.

@mikecweb knows how I roll.

Again, it's not the actual passenger who is making a huge stink about this, but the two SJW lawyers who were sitting across the aisle from him. If it wasn't for those two, you'd never hear anything about it. As a matter of fact, if it wasnt for the Dao incident, nobody would have made an issue out of this in the first place.

Well when ya get all the facts, let us know :)

It will be reserve in SFO, which is across the country. :confused: Decisions, decisions

No, it's called "professional benefit of doubt".

Oh, when you get your first missed approach for spacing, I hope the internet puts you on BLAST about tailgating that poor SWA jet because you were trying to race.

And I'll be right here, egging it on! :)

I had a guy crap himself next to me on a TWA flight right at takeoff. He unbuckled and went running to aft lav.

Stew got his bag 20 min later and he returned a half hour into flight with new clothes. Funny as the bag never returned to the overhead.

I would have Glady delayed not to have to smell that climbing over me.

Another easy way that UAL incident could have been solved. Was there a JS? If not, as a DH, I'd have no problem taking the jumpseat to get a paying pax on... assuming no jumpseater. Hell it's only a 40 minute flight?

True story example:

I was scheduled to operate a flight from SFO-EWR at 230pm. It cancelled for weather. CS put me positive space DH on the redeye (we only have one) from SFO-EWR that night. I wait and hang around until boarding is finished, and it's just me and another young woman standing there. I ask the gate agent what the situation is, and she says the flight is full, I have the last seat. I ask what would happen to the remaining woman passenger, and the gate agent tells me she would have to be re-booked on a flight tomorrow. The young lady is very sad, almost in tears. As it also turned out, she was supposed to be on my original flight at 230pm. So she's been screwed in a same way as I had in terms of delay and inconvenience.

So, I asked the gate agent if there were any cockpit jumpseaters. She said no. And with that, I said put me in the jumpseat, I'll ask the CA (who I already knew personally), and give this lady my seat in the back. This passenger was so happy to get on the flight and thanked me for making it work out. And yeah, jumpseating on a redeye 5 hr flight isn't much fun..... but there were no jumpseaters, and I have this job because of people like her who buy tickets and help get me the paycheck. Besides, she was screwed just like I was because of weather. Why make her suffer longer? I have zero regrets with that decision.

Another easy way that UAL incident could have been solved. Was there a JS? If not, as a DH, I'd have no problem taking the jumpseat to get a paying pax on... assuming no jumpseater. Hell it's only a 40 minute flight?

True story example:

I was scheduled to operate a flight from SFO-EWR at 230pm. It cancelled for weather. CS put me positive space DH on the redeye (we only have one) from SFO-EWR that night. I wait and hang around until boarding is finished, and it's just me and another young woman standing there. I ask the gate agent what the situation is, and she says the flight is full, I have the last seat. I ask what would happen to the remaining woman passenger, and the gate agent tells me she would have to be re-booked on a flight tomorrow. The young lady is very sad, almost in tears. As it also turned out, she was supposed to be on my original flight at 230pm. So she's been screwed in a same way as I had in terms of delay and inconvenience.

So, I asked the gate agent if there were any cockpit jumpseaters. She said no. And with that, I said put me in the jumpseat, I'll ask the CA (who I already knew personally), and give this lady my seat in the back. This passenger was so happy to get on the flight and thanked me for making it work out. And yeah, jumpseating on a redeye 5 hr flight isn't much fun..... but there were no jumpseaters, and I have this job because of people like her who buy tickets and help get me the paycheck. Besides, she was screwed just like I was because of weather. Why make her suffer longer? I have zero regrets with that decision.

There IS a "New Topic" button.

No, it's called "professional benefit of doubt".

Oh, when you get your first missed approach for spacing, I hope the internet puts you on BLAST about tailgating that poor SWA jet because you were trying to race.

And I'll be right here, egging it on! :)

Did this actually happen? The only Delta and Southwest video I've seen on youtube recently is the MDW incident with everybody stepping on each other and taking each others takeoff clearances.

I propose we give the traveling public what they're asking for.

Utter anarchy.
Want to go pee whenever you want to go pee? Go ahead.
Want to stroll around going tai chi in the aisles when the seatbelt sign is on? Knock yourself out.
Won't exit the jet when instructed? Stay as long as you'd like an deal with the person who is supposed to be in the seat.
Want that first class seat? Go ahead and compete in feats of strength against the rightful owner. Winner take all, and that meal choice.

LETS DO THIS! WAAAOOO!

I like where this is going. A gate area thunderdome type of thing for 1st class seating. Two man enter!! One man leave!!

Last edited:
Back