Where do FedEx feeder pilots sit MEM sort?

avalanche

I've seen the ATRs and Caravans on a feeder ramp, but I'm curious where you guys sleep/rest during the sort? Also, are any of these companies feeding the MEM sort hiring low time guys?

Avalanche

Well I'm at a regional and have considered going to a FedEx feeder... For the reason is I will be home every day and I wouldn't have to commute... Short run pay at the feeder is better, long run regional would be better...

They have what is called "Feeder city" it is a lounge type place with couches, comfortable chairs, computers. The TVs have this thing where you can use a joystick to display a camera outside to point it at your airplane so you know when to go outside, etc.

They don't have the little hotel like setup the trunk pilots get, but it wasn't hard for me to get a nap in when I was there.

Honest question: what's the value of going to a FedEx feeder v. regional airlines if someones has close to 2000tt? Is the pay better? Is upgrade faster?

Most of the FedEx feeder pilots I've run into are not chasing the airline pilot dream and/or are wearing the golden handcuffs.

They live at the outstation, are happy there, are making 60 grand a year, are treated pretty well. and are old enough that they do not want to take the QOL hit that the airlines would involve.

They might take a corporate job in the area, but there is no way they would commute across the country to stay in a crashpad.

I did it for a while, it was a good deal, great pay for 135 single pilot cargo. Also all of the Vans are getting G600 and TKS upgrades.

Feeder City in Memphis has an up stairs with individual rooms equipped with twin beds and a small table top. Downstairs has a room full of big, comfy recliners that most people never use. Theres some computers and coffee pot. It wasn't that bad. I had the same room for close to a year. Sheets are washed every week. I could get 3.75-4.0 hrs sleep every night.
Wasn't that bad. Indy is a different story.

As previously mentioned- $ & QOL. That and I don't like sharing (kidding...sort of). I'm at my gym every evening, and sleep in my own bed every night. And I have weekends off to flight instruct, surf, hangout, network, or do whatever I want. It's all about you're individual priorities and goals.

Most of the FedEx feeder pilots I've run into are not chasing the airline pilot dream and/or are wearing the golden handcuffs.

They live at the outstation, are happy there, are making 60 grand a year, are treated pretty well. and are old enough that they do not want to take the QOL hit that the airlines would involve.

They might take a corporate job in the area, but there is no way they would commute across the country to stay in a crashpad.
To each their own but if you consider the QOL / Pay difference between those Feeder pilots and mainline....... well, I'll let you do the math.

Having ridden around a fair amount on UPS last year I'd say the difference between UPS mainline and their feeders is even more dramatic.

To each their own but if you consider the QOL / Pay difference between those Feeder pilots and mainline....... well, I'll let you do the math.

That's assuming that its possible to go directly from C208 feeder to mainline, and 99% of the time it's not. There is a long painful detour that has absolutely no guarantee of success.

For a guy in his late 30s with a family, sacrificing it all to chase the airline pilot dream just isn't worth it. Flying an ATR 4 nights a week isn't a bad gig if you like living in Lubbock TX on 70 a year.

The pilot who flies the Brownwood - Austin run for Baron has been there for over a decade. He is in his late 40s, his wife works at the local middle school and they have a small ranch outside of town. He brings in about 60 a year plus what his wife makes, and whatever income his farm generates. He has great QOL, and is treated very well by his company. He's not going anywhere.

FedEx, from what I understand, doesn't dump their feeder companies at the drop of a hat like UPS does. So you've got stability as well.

Having ridden around a fair amount on UPS last year I'd say the difference between UPS mainline and their feeders is even more dramatic.

What kinds of differences are you seeing?

FedEx, from what I understand, doesn't dump their feeder companies at the drop of a hat like UPS does. So you've got stability as well.

That's why their costs are higher. FedEx should play them off one another like mainline does with the regionals. That would lower costs.

Back