Lessons Learned as a CFI: Vol. 3

I was very disappointed with every applicant in the knowledge and understanding of a RMI, VOR, HSI, CDI. (RMI can be displayed on a G1000 and you can track and intercept a radial as if it was an NDB pointer).

I encourage pilots to use the RMI function in our G500s, especially for holds and for DME arcs. Most pilots today don’t know what an RMI is.

Also are there even any back course approaches still out there? I know that KTUS used to have a back course approach to rwy 29R. But its been replaced by GPS approaches.

The LOC BC 29R is still there.

I encourage pilots to use the RMI function in our G500s, especially for golds and for DME arcs. Most pilots today don’t know what an RMI is.

It's handy in the G3Xs I've been flying in as well. Having two of them in the G1000 makes it stupid-simple to navigate. I think the hard part for students when they first start with them is creating the mental picture from it. And yeah, they make DME arcs childs play.

I think every pilot I fly with uses the RMIs on the EFIS equipped PC-12 and Lear. Usually just for general situational awareness, but there are a couple situations where you actually want to use it.
1. Our most-used SID involves a >180° turn after takeoff and direct to an NDB. Easiest way to get established is to have an RMI needle up and turn until it’s off the nose.
2. If you’re flying an approach with a lot of step downs and for some reason don’t have a VNAV path setup, an RMI needle to the active FMS waypoint makes an easy visualization of when you cross each waypoint and reminder to spin the altitude selector down.

It's handy in the G3Xs I've been flying in as well. Having two of them in the G1000 makes it stupid-simple to navigate. I think the hard part for students when they first start with them is creating the mental picture from it. And yeah, they make DME arcs childs play.

I’ll still have pilots learn the CDI method of DME arcs, then introduce the RMI later. That way they have a back to basics, if needed.

I’ll still have pilots learn the CDI method of DME arcs, then introduce the RMI later. That way they have a back to basics, if needed.

Yup. Where possible, we do both. Not all of the aircraft we have are equipped with traditional CDIs.

Back