When one door closes….

Max Power

A few weeks ago, I interviewed at a place with blue airplanes that have colorful names. I had been waiting for this interview since before covid. Always one of my top choices, I had internal recs and such, still it was TBNT for reasons not entirely clear to me, but I have my suspicions. I’ll discuss through PM if anyone would like to know.

But since I’d waited all that time, it was a huge blow to me, as I was fairly confident I would get in and finally out of my regional. Now, another company with blue airplanes of all one type that LUVs people , another of my top choices, has invited me for a virtual interview.

Nothing is guaranteed, this I know. I’m going to (again) put forth my best effort and try to land this job. I’m just putting it out here because last week I was considering getting out of the business of flying and now I have a chance to get on with another of my dream companies.

To those searching, for whatever, keep trying.

I remember the feeling when I got rejected by BeachBall Intl (with the dude that "carries the world" on the tail). I prepared for that interview like no other, and even my friends (who all got hired!) used the very gouge I wrote for the technical portion. It was disappointing to say the least....
But in the end got on at an ULCC... and finally ended up flying at an airline with a big blue Globe on the tail... And might even get to pester @Seggy on his flight deck!
Wish you the best of luck and keep at it!

A few weeks ago, I interviewed at a place with blue airplanes that have colorful names. I had been waiting for this interview since before covid. Always one of my top choices, I had internal recs and such, still it was TBNT for reasons not entirely clear to me, but I have my suspicions. I’ll discuss through PM if anyone would like to know.

But since I’d waited all that time, it was a huge blow to me, as I was fairly confident I would get in and finally out of my regional. Now, another company with blue airplanes of all one type that LUVs people , another of my top choices, has invited me for a virtual interview.

Nothing is guaranteed, this I know. I’m going to (again) put forth my best effort and try to land this job. I’m just putting it out here because last week I was considering getting out of the business of flying and now I have a chance to get on with another of my dream companies.

To those searching, for whatever, keep trying.

Sorry that you got the TBNT. The most random things can get someone the downcheck.

The only thing I would suggest for 'round 2 'with the next one is to do the interview prep. (I stunk up my Air Wisky and Compass interviews so hard back after my furlough in '10 they are probably still airing out the room.)

I'm also oddly curious if you happen to type out the story for anyone else, would you mind PM'ing it to me too....

Good luck, Max Power. I wish you the best of luck; let us know how it goes.

Augh. Sorry to hear that man. Did you do prep for any of these?

yep, prepped for every interview. I’m fairly certain that something in my PRIA from my current carrier (that I only found out a week before B6 and two before WN )is what’s killing me. I have been upfront about it in the interviews and I’m trying to get it fixed because I don’t think it’s something that should be there (and others agree). But it’s too late for this time.

I've seen one highly qualified candidate turned down here recently, and heard about several others. The dude I know, no way he absolutely bombed the interview. Don't overthink it, maybe someone was having a bad day or they realized the class was already full and just jettisoned everyone after #30. I mean you like to think these sorts of things don't happen, but who knows? Around here it is an absolute black hole, no information can escape the HR event horizon. Get back on that horse. As DE727's story illustrates, it could wind up being the best thing that ever happened to you, professionally.

I've seen one highly qualified candidate turned down here recently, and heard about several others. The dude I know, no way he absolutely bombed the interview. Don't overthink it, maybe someone was having a bad day or they realized the class was already full and just jettisoned everyone after #30. I mean you like to think these sorts of things don't happen, but who knows? Around here it is an absolute black hole, no information can escape the HR event horizon. Get back on that horse. As DE727's story illustrates, it could wind up being the best thing that ever happened to you, professionally.

To this day, the best interview I ever had was at Frontier, and I received a TBNT a few days later. That one REALLY stung, and it took awhile to get over it. Definitely turned out to be a good thing though.

To this day, the best interview I ever had was at Frontier, and I received a TBNT a few days later. That one REALLY stung, and it took awhile to get over it. Definitely turned out to be a good thing though.

Maybe they thought you'd jump ship when greener pastures presented themselves.

Maybe they thought you'd jump ship when greener pastures presented themselves.

If I remember right, F9 had low pay AND training contracts, so no one wanted to go there unless you lived in or near DEN. Now with better a contract and growth, they are desirable and can be picky. I get that major airlines don’t want to be springboards and basically train people for other carriers, but if you’re truly interested in working somewhere, your enthusiasm could be wrongly misconstrued as “saying anything to get there and leave”.

Last edited:
Back