What is the oldest career changer?

Well, this is a little encouraging. I'll turn 47 this year and I'm just about to go back into debt since paying off my house 5 years ago. I'm a little apprehensive to say the least, but flying has always been my one great enthusiastic activity. I fly every week with some breakfast buddies and have accumulated about 1000 hrs as a pvt SEL; need all the additional ratings. The recent influx of job postings is also encouraging.

jmak said:
Well, this is a little encouraging. I'll turn 47 this year and I'm just about to go back into debt since paying off my house 5 years ago. I'm a little apprehensive to say the least, but flying has always been my one great enthusiastic activity. I fly every week with some breakfast buddies and have accumulated about 1000 hrs as a pvt SEL; need all the additional ratings. The recent influx of job postings is also encouraging.
Good Luck! Make a plan and start working on it. Keep us posted.

SO, since my post in July, I completed my ratings: CSEL, CMEL, and Instrument. I've been applying to any and all job postings I meet qualifications for. I turned down a couple Air Ambo offers that were pretty low paying and in middle-of-nowhere locations. Just when I thought I was being too picky I received a call from Ameriflight with an offer to report to DFW on the 11th for Indoc in the Chieftain out of ABQ. This will be my first pro pilot job and I'm looking forward to it. I've read ALL of the Ameriflight postings on this forum and others yet I'm keeping an open mind and keeping the mentality of "whatever career we're in we have to expect to pay our dues as a newbie."

I had been sending out resumes for about three months. I received a call for a phone interview with AMF after the first month. I didn't make it into the March class, but kept in touch with the recruiter. Then got a call for the April class.

Just wanted to give you an update. Hopefully this will be encouraging to anyone else considering the change.

SO, since my post in July, I completed my ratings: CSEL, CMEL, and Instrument. I've been applying to any and all job postings I meet qualifications for. I turned down a couple Air Ambo offers that were pretty low paying and in middle-of-nowhere locations. Just when I thought I was being too picky I received a call from Ameriflight with an offer to report to DFW on the 11th for Indoc in the Chieftain out of ABQ. This will be my first pro pilot job and I'm looking forward to it. I've read ALL of the Ameriflight postings on this forum and others yet I'm keeping an open mind and keeping the mentality of "whatever career we're in we have to expect to pay our dues as a newbie."

I had been sending out resumes for about three months. I received a call for a phone interview with AMF after the first month. I didn't make it into the March class, but kept in touch with the recruiter. Then got a call for the April class.

Just wanted to give you an update. Hopefully this will be encouraging to anyone else considering the change.
Glad to hear you got a break Jmac. How old are you again? I'm 54 and interviewing with Republic Airways next week. Flew helos commercially for 21 yrs but have been out of the full time flying game for the past 8yrs. A bit awkward at my age but at least I will be able to bring a little experience to the table. Best of luck in training..

Glad to hear you got a break Jmac. How old are you again? I'm 54 and interviewing with Republic Airways next week. Flew helos commercially for 21 yrs but have been out of the full time flying game for the past 8yrs. A bit awkward at my age but at least I will be able to bring a little experience to the table. Best of luck in training..
I'm 47. Good luck on your interview. I think the life experience makes a big difference during the interview, but also the level of maturity in the cockpit is a great asset. I'm sure you'll do great. Hope to cross paths with you in the future.

Nice work @jmak ! I'm a few years younger but following in your footsteps. It's taking me longer to get my training done, but I haven't been able to let go of my day job. I'll have to jump in with both feet soon.

49....or 50 this year. Picked up my first paid PT flying gig, so it will be another 2+ years before I leave the cube for full time flying

jskibo said:
49....or 50 this year. Picked up my first paid PT flying gig, so it will be another 2+ years before I leave the cube for full time flying
You still going to be able to do that PT gig?

I started flying lessons at 15. My parents split up at 15 1/2 and that was the end of that. 18 in 1984, no money for college, (mysteriously disappeared in the the divorce) went to a community college while throwing freight overnight at a grocery store and earned an A&P license. At 20 in 1987 got my first paying A&P job as a civilian working for the Navy on A-6's. At 24 in 1990, landed an A&P job at United and thought I was set. Fast forward 14 years an ESOP and a bankruptcy later I get a layoff notice two weeks before Christmas 2004 at 38. One month later I am unemployed. 6 weeks later I find a job and in April of 2006 I start flying again. At 40 I get my private pilot license. At 42 my instrument and in 2009 at the age of 43 I earn my commercial and CFI and start to teach. In 2013 at 47 I became a First Officer at Republic. The end of 2014 I made the move to Compass and now in 2016 at 49 I'm a Captain on the E175. So yeah, you can say I am a career changer although one could argue that I wasn't smart enough to get out of the industry all together. :confused::confused::confused:

It's a fun time for sure. Just past the year mark with SKW and AARP won't leave me alone (51)

AARP has been hounding me a lot longer than that!! I, too, just finished my first year with SKW in February and have been having a ball. My class had at least a half-dozen post-50-somethings. All but one made it through training (and he landed on his feet with another operator flying Q400s).

It's a fun time for sure. Just past the year mark with SKW and AARP won't leave me alone (51)
Seems I remember when you first started at SKW. I'm suppose to be starting there 4/28. Can I ask how you're getting on over there? I'll be 55 soon and hesitant that I may be getting into a younger guys game where i may not belong. Are you commuting? Getting to sleep once in awhile? Missing the routine of home? Having a blast? Really not to concerned about the pay. Just need to get back in the saddle again being away for a while.. Thanks

Seems I remember when you first started at SKW. I'm suppose to be starting there 4/28. Can I ask how you're getting on over there? I'll be 55 soon and hesitant that I may be getting into a younger guys game where i may not belong. Are you commuting? Getting to sleep once in awhile? Missing the routine of home? Having a blast? Really not to concerned about the pay. Just need to get back in the saddle again being away for a while.. Thanks

Having a blast, commute ORD, bid 40% 3 trips in Dec and 20 days off. Think wife will ask me to leave for being home so much.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I left accounting to fly at 31. I couldn't have been happier with the move since now I work 3 days a week, home every night and enjoy 3X the pay.

My previous carrier hired a 64 year old. They wound up firing the recruiter and gave the new hire severance to leave.

What are your times like? I'm CMEL, Instrument adding CSEL shortly. I'm contemplating CFI, CFII but still not sure about teaching.

Before you other guys pounce, I've seen many youngsters age during the CFI course in our program. I've also seen a few busts and these kids work hard. So I'm apprehensive.

Back