What did I get myself into???

Joshua Burke

jburke614
Hello Everyone,

I need a little advice here. I'm an up and coming pilot looking to join the airlines eventually. I'm Commercial ASEL/AMEL with an instrument rating and have the ability to obtain the wonderful RATP with my degree. However, due to my lack of night and multi time I'm gonna be forced to find a small time job until I get it. I've been doing the whole aerial survey thing for about a year and a half now which has given me the TT, XC, and PIC for the cert. My question is do any of you know of any decent paths to take from here on out other than outright paying for block time? Being a survey pilot isn't the most stable way to save money for that situation. I have been hired on by a company by the name of SeaPort Airlines. I've gone through the ground school, but have yet to start flying for them. These guys want a contracted commitment of 1 year beginning when I get in the plane. The completion of said year will put me close to the expiration of my ATP written in 2016. This is basically turning me away, oh and it's all single turbine time (C-208's). Any advice/information is appreciated guys, thanks!!!

So what are the terms of this contracted commitment they are requesting you agree to?

I take it you do not have a CFI or MEI? How much night and multi time are you lacking?

So what are the terms of this contracted commitment they are requesting you agree to?

@surreal1221

Unless it has changed recently, it is a $7500 flight training contract that starts to be prorated after 6 months. I don't remember all the details exactly, but I do know that your last paycheck is used against the remaining balance if you leave before the year is up leaving guys without income for several weeks if they change jobs.

Hello Everyone,

I need a little advice here. I'm an up and coming pilot looking to join the airlines eventually. I'm Commercial ASEL/AMEL with an instrument rating and have the ability to obtain the wonderful RATP with my degree. However, due to my lack of night and multi time I'm gonna be forced to find a small time job until I get it. I've been doing the whole aerial survey thing for about a year and a half now which has given me the TT, XC, and PIC for the cert. My question is do any of you know of any decent paths to take from here on out other than outright paying for block time? Being a survey pilot isn't the most stable way to save money for that situation. I have been hired on by a company by the name of SeaPort Airlines. I've gone through the ground school, but have yet to start flying for them. These guys want a contracted commitment of 1 year beginning when I get in the plane. The completion of said year will put me close to the expiration of my ATP written in 2016. This is basically turning me away, oh and it's all single turbine time (C-208's). Any advice/information is appreciated guys, thanks!!!

Something to take into consideration with you starting now at SeaPort... you will have very few opportunities for night flying during the summer months and probably won't see much night time until after Daylight Savings ends. I worked at SeaPort this time last year and was on the verge of not being night current for PIC in 135 operations.

What are your end goals after your rATP?

Something to take into consideration with you starting now at SeaPort... you will have very few opportunities for night flying during the summer months and probably won't see much night time until after Daylight Savings ends. I worked at SeaPort this time last year and was on the verge of not being night current for PIC in 135 operations.

What are your end goals after your rATP?

Honestly, I'm planning on heading to the regionals/airlines.

To be clear you do meet all the requirements of the R-ATP or are you missing the night time? I think in a year most regional airlines will probably have some sort of ATP written program built into their training, so as much as it would suck to re-take the test, it will probably be an option in the future.

I would but I'm not a CFI. I thought about trying to get it, but I feel at this point it would more or less be a waste of time.

It's more than just a résumé builder it gives you good experience and makes you a better pilot.

Granted it's expensive, I feel you there but if you can afford it, do it.

It's also an insurance policy if the industry flips upside down again. I got mine thinking, "in 6 months, I'll be flying for a regional anyway," that was in early '07 and needless to say it paid for itself many times over.

Because of survey being only vfr day, I only have about 20 night hours.

Who did you work for if you don't mind me asking. I did the same exact thing and did not have a problem checking off the boxes in every column. We would try to relocate at night and or IMC conditions. On bad weather days we would go get "instrument current" and other days "night current".

CFI might be a good way to build night time. It's kind of difficult to build night time quickly though. For me it was really progressive through my entire time flight instructing, 150 hours of night in 1500 hours. If all that is holding you back is night time, of course find the quickest way to get that night time, but that is much easier said than done.

I feel your pain. Im in the same boat with 40 hours of night time and all of the other boxes checked. Ive just been grinding away at it...

Anyone taken a checkride at night?

I have 80 X-C PIC so in thinking how to get to part 135 vfr mins (and onto ATP) I was thinking to make the next 20 at night, and also tick off the night PIC box - you can do that in a few weeknights in a 152.

Back