Has anyone applied to Lockheed Martin?

GroundPilot

Morning guys,

I was wondering if anyone here applied to Lockheed Martin and was able to get a job there. My question is is there ANY job they have there (minus building maintenance, etc) that does not require an engineering degree? They have two locations not too far from me so looking to see if I can land a career there eventually.

My experience in short is 3 years of supervisor duties at a terminal in JFK (management company for the entire terminal), crew services for three years and dispatching for six years for a US airline. Also have three other FAA certs (AGI/IGI, drone and A&P)

Any reason it has to be LMCO?
There's a heavy focus on DoD work.

The key is networking for sure.
Similar opportunities are available.

Location and it's something that I would be interested in doing since it's somewhat aviation and tech related. It would be the King of Prussia, PA and Moorestown, NJ locations.

I know a number of people there, but all from the former military/fighter aviator angle. There are some real cool jobs there, for sure. They have seemed pretty happy with what they are doing. Obviously a lot of it can't be openly advertised.

My question is is there ANY job they have there (minus building maintenance, etc) that does not require an engineering degree?

First a disclaimer. I have not worked for Lockheed Martin and cannot speak to their opportunities or requirements, and even if I had, it is a massive company with many tentacles. However, in my 15 years of aerospace engineering I have crossed paths with many a Lockheed-Martin-like company. The simple answer is yes, aerospace engineering outfits do employ people who do not have engineering degrees. The last place I worked is as engineering-heavy as it gets, and I think we had no more than 50% of the head count as degreed engineers.

In some cases these are the jobs that support the many business functions that keep the corporation humming along, such as contracting, accounting, HR, etc. Here you will find people who have college degrees, just pertaining to their disciplines rather than engineering.

You may be interested in roles that do not require a 4-year degree. In this case the answer is still yes, aerospace companies employ those folks too. In my view, the roles that do not require a 4-year degree but are still an interesting career path (as in you are working on the products) are jobs that require hands-on technical skills. Skilled technicians were always a vital asset in the research and development labs that I worked in. Think welding, assembly, machining, instrumentation and associated electronics, etc. Some people got their start in such things with a 2-year degree or trade school. Your A&P might provide you with a launching point for this.

First a disclaimer. I have not worked for Lockheed Martin and cannot speak to their opportunities or requirements, and even if I had, it is a massive company with many tentacles. However, in my 15 years of aerospace engineering I have crossed paths with many a Lockheed-Martin-like company. The simple answer is yes, aerospace engineering outfits do employ people who do not have engineering degrees. The last place I worked is as engineering-heavy as it gets, and I think we had no more than 50% of the head count as degreed engineers.

In some cases these are the jobs that support the many business functions that keep the corporation humming along, such as contracting, accounting, HR, etc. Here you will find people who have college degrees, just pertaining to their disciplines rather than engineering.

You may be interested in roles that do not require a 4-year degree. In this case the answer is still yes, aerospace companies employ those folks too. In my view, the roles that do not require a 4-year degree but are still an interesting career path (as in you are working on the products) are jobs that require hands-on technical skills. Skilled technicians were always a vital asset in the research and development labs that I worked in. Think welding, assembly, machining, instrumentation and associated electronics, etc. Some people got their start in such things with a 2-year degree or trade school. Your A&P might provide you with a launching point for this.

Yep. Just like "tech", there are a lot of non-"techies" who do quite well for themselves in their own work groups. LM is a solid company if you are interested in continuing an aerospace career.

Back