United Airlines Not Playing Around on Vaccine Mandate

Good for United!

I’m not happy that ALPA is pushing for a no-vaccine requirement where I work. It’s in our contract that we have to have all required vaccines, and more importantly I think it’s just a major waste of time and resources to fight this battle.

Most of our flying is international, and in the not too distant future it’s going to be impossible to operate crews internationally without them being vaccinated. What I fear is that the percentage of anti-vax pilots at this company will create a situation where we are just permanently locked in our rooms on layovers, and I just can’t handle that.

Absolutely love to see how United is handling this. All other carriers should follow suit.

I'm curious, with your position against mandates, why are you in favor of this mandate? Because it's a company and not the gumint? I'm not judging, I'm genuinely curious.

I'm curious, with your position against mandates, why are you in favor of this mandate? Because it's a company and not the gumint? I'm not judging, I'm genuinely curious.

Correct, it’s a decision by a company about their own employees, it’s not a top-down mandate by the all-powerful state.

Absolutely love to see how United is handling this. All other carriers should follow suit.

giphy.gif

I like this better than the precedent of charging unvaccinated employees more for health insurance. I know choosing not to get vaccinated is different from a pre-existing condition, but slippery slope and such and such.

Just say “unless you’ve got a valid *medical* reason, you get the vaccine if you want to work for us”. Good on UAL….but I’m not sure my next door neighbor 737 FO agrees.

I think it should be a personal choice and companies need to stop trying to virtue signal and win customers over.

Mandating anything, especially new, is a very slippery slope to go down.

What next do we mandate the flu vaccine?

I had to be vaccinated when I went to college 20 years ago, and many companies such as Delta have required it for a long time anyway. If you don’t like it, go work somewhere else.

But! But! My rights! I want to fly planes, expose myself to hundreds of people everyday, traveling all across America or the world, stay in hotels every night in different locations, come home to my family and friends after every trip, participate locally in daily routines like school chores, etc. And I demand to do all this without being vaccinated.

But! But! My rights! I want to fly planes, expose myself to hundreds of people everyday, traveling all across America or the world, stay in hotels every night in different locations, come home to my family and friends after every trip, participate locally in daily routines like school chores, etc. And I demand to do all this without being vaccinated.

Without question, the highest levels of potential exposure I encounter are from my co-workers. It’s absolute BS, and I’m tired of it. It’s not fair to me and the people in my social circle that are vulnerable, vaccinated and careful.

Remember when society was going to collapse because of marriage equality? I think making sure people don’t get sick enough to die from a global pandemic won’t make society collapse either.

“What’s next? You can marry a goat!?”

Remember when society was going to collapse because of marriage equality? I think making sure people don’t get sick enough to die from a global pandemic won’t make society collapse either.

“What’s next? You can marry a goat!?”

APC meltdown.

Our (internal) forum has gone into read-only mode which means no can log in and post, a move the webmaster usually does when SHTF. I can only assume it went NATO after Biden's speech today.

popcorn-eating-popcorn.gif

Last edited:
Would be nice if the vaccine was more effective against transmission of the virus. Lots of studies coming out that in the real world, the vaccine isn't terribly effective against transmission, the longer you are from your vaccine date, especially against the Delta variant. It's essentially a preemptive therapeutic at this point.

Just the fact that we're talking about boosters less than a year after the vaccines became public should be setting off some alarm bells.

I'm not anti-vax and was first in line to get my shots, but this is pretty concerning to me. If it turns out that long term these vaccines just prevent serious illness and don't slow the spread as much as we thought, then it doesn't make sense for companies and governments to push the vaccine.

Back