Here's the 'Disappointing' and 'Prohibited' Way Some American Airlines Flight Attendants Make Extra Money

How does this work? Ashley is scheduled, Madison shows up. Does Madison just show up and announce she's covering for Ashley? At what point is Madison responsible to the company for making the flight?
As nutty as this is, many airlines have some provision for “jetway trades” or “gate swaps” whereby you and the other crewmember both agree to swap a segment not before nor less than a given interval prior to departure. So, in a manner of speaking, yes, that is exactly how it works in certain very limited circumstances. Though the above management gripe isn’t about those, but the manipulation of the open time system, which, in terms of timescale, happens a little farther out from departure.

When they work, they work great. It’s exceedingly rare, at least for me, though - I think I’ve done maybe two of them in a decade. I’d point out that I do not commute, however.

Is this ticket scalping of the FA world? Or am I missing the onlyfans? Either way, sounds like people who fancy themselves as being much smarter than they actually are.

I was jumpseating as the 2W on AA one time, and the captain, FO and 1W were talking about IMax the individual maximum…

there was a spreadsheet involved and a scheme that caused to you bump up against your individual maximum every month that would result in trips being removed payprotected…. Then there was a group of guys who would “borrow” trips from each other or dropping them unpaid to the other person. then returning the trip to the original owner after whatever game the system mechanism was achieved.

it was all above my head I didn’t really understand how it worked.

I was jumpseating as the 2W on AA one time, and the captain, FO and 1W were talking about IMax the individual maximum…

there was a spreadsheet involved and a scheme that caused to you bump up against your individual maximum every month that would result in trips being removed payprotected…. Then there was a group of guys who would “borrow” trips from each other or dropping them unpaid to the other person. then returning the trip to the original owner after whatever game the system mechanism was achieved.

it was all above my head I didn’t really understand how it worked.

Utilizing the contract is one thing - precovid I briefly enjoyed superseniority in seat, which gave me certain perks, like rolling a 100hr conflict that's possible with line bidding. Different mechanics than what you are talking about, but same general idea.
Come to work 10 days in a month, fly my 75 hrs, get paid for 125ish. Ain't bad for a shop with no trip/duty rig.

The FA thing is entirely different. Bidding trips to sell to your coworkers should be punishable by immediate termination.

I could see this being a different issue than adding 100$ to that horrible trip you didn’t want to fly and putting it up for grabs.

Asking for money for someone to take your trip. That must be a pretty nice trip…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1. Buy a trip off some lazy senior.
  2. Use part of that trip to buy case of microbrews from some outstation.
  3. Sell bootleg beer inflight to
    1. cover your capital investment
    2. book some wages
  4. Use those profits to diversify your inventory and grow your downline.

(Don't do this. For a number of reasons.)

(Instead, just start that Twitch channel of you airline forums out loud instead with ASMR and reacts segments every once in a while.)

Don’t see why. If you can hold it, you can hold it. As long as the trip is covered, it’s none of the airline‘s business what you do with it.
You bring seniority into this, but turn a blind eye on the fact that "flipping" trips breaks seniority.

Instead of seniority #50 working the trip, seniority #200 is working it, because seniority #10 bid it for them for a $100.

See? No bueno.

So hypothetically who would one punish if the person fails to show…

Would an airline respect this weird under the table deal or even be aware of it?

That was always the problem with somebody paying Joe to take his watch for them. Joe’s 1SG isn’t the guy that got the call when the soldier on the published duty roster didn’t show up and it’s 1600 time to do the changeout.

You bring seniority into this, but turn a blind eye on the fact that "flipping" trips breaks seniority.

Instead of seniority #50 working the trip, seniority #200 is working it, because seniority #10 bid it for them for a $100.

See? No bueno.

You can do whatever you want with what you hold. I see no issues.

I guesd the question is whether this practice is ethical or not. In my line of work, the equivalence is picking up contract work and paying one of the other pilots trade work days with you so you can do contract flying. It can be lucrative for both parties, but I question the ethics of it. I can see where a company could not be a fan on this type of thing.

So hypothetically who would one punish if the person fails to show…

Would an airline respect this weird under the table deal or even be aware of it?

That was always the problem with somebody paying Joe to take his watch for them. Joe’s 1SG isn’t the guy that got the call when the soldier on the published duty roster didn’t show up and it’s 1600 time to do the changeout.

Just to clarify how this works in simpler terms for outsiders: airlines have web based systems for trading and dropping trips. Person A can post a trip they don’t want, and person B can pick it up. Once B picks up the trip, it is placed on their schedule and they are responsible.

pilots and flight attendants both use similar systems.

Back