United Airlines Not Playing Around on Vaccine Mandate

This is such a silly conversation.

When I went back to grad school at a large public university, I literally was blocked out of the class registration system until I had proof of currency of a bunch of different vaccines…which of course I didn’t so I took 20mins, went to the student health center, got poked and then was registering for classes that afternoon.

The university just didn’t want to have to pay for care for someone who got measles or tetanus or whatever diphtheria is.

Why would a large company that self-insures *not* require something that almost eliminates the chances of an extended hospital stay costing millions of dollars?

I’m not anti-vaccines or anti-mask. But I think the federal government has made several missteps from the get-go. Number 1, referring to these as vaccines. They really aren’t. Vaccine implies a cure. There likely won’t be any “cure” in the traditional sense for years to come. We’ll be dealing with Covid in some form in perpetuity. Number 2, pushing mandates at all. I think they simply will not be able to convince 20-25% of Americans to get the vaccine, threat of unemployment or not.

Personally, I think the vaccines are good. Go get one if you see fit. I’ve got mine. Don’t if you don’t. It’s not my business. But what I think is not good is the leader of the “free” world telling Americans this isn’t about freedom or personal choice. The very thing that makes this nation great in my opinion. He is going to get a ton of pushback and ultimately it is just sowing more division. And I think it will have the opposite effect... I think this will very likely exacerbate the worker shortage in many industries...

Actually no, it doesn’t.
In laments terms it did. If I were to ask you in 2019 if you had been vaccinated against small pox you probably would have said, “yes”. Implying that you can’t get small pox anymore because you’ve been vaccinated. Of course many of us have different understandings NOW. But from the outset the government touted a vaccine as some miracle cure. Or at least that’s what people thought of it. Now they’re talking about booster not even a year after initial inoculation. Many simply wont as it was never their intention to have to get boosters in perpetuity.

PROFIT!

If you want to go to United, et al. Nothing more American than profiting off others choices.

SCORE!!!

Maybe? But losing a bunch of pilots won’t mean a ton of opportunity for new pilots. There are training constraints. And in the meantime the pilots still flying will he left to deal with the fallout. That is always the case. Management makes decisions and the frontline workers deal with the fallout of a horrendous schedule due to being even more short-staffed.

United aside, I’m curious what this will do for work forces at airlines like American. Much lower percentage of vaccinated pilots and many many more within 3-5 years of retirement.

This is how I know that some really dumb anti-vax stuff is about to come.
I’m vaccinated. I think it’s a good choice to get vaccinated. I just don’t agree that it should be mandated. People should be free to make what they feel is the best decision for themselves when it comes to their personal healthcare. That’s not my business nor should it ever be.

In laments terms it did. If I were to ask you in 2019 if you had been vaccinated against small pox you probably would have said, “yes”. Implying that you can’t get small pox anymore because you’ve been vaccinated. Of course many of us have different understandings NOW. But from the outset the government touted a vaccine as some miracle cure. Or at least that’s what people thought of it. Now they’re talking about booster not even a year after initial inoculation. Many simply wont as it was never their intention to have to get boosters in perpetuity.

I've always understood a vaccine to mean that if I've never had a virus the vaccine targets, it blocks it and I can't get it, or the vaccine makes it harder to get, but not impossible. A cure is different, I take that to mean, if I had it already and I take some pills or a shot, I'm cured. As in I no longer have the disease any longer. They're currently testing a HIV vaccine. It's for those that aren't symptomatic with the HIV/AIDS virus. Not for those that have it. I could be wrong, but that's how my brain understands the definition of a vaccine, vs. a cure.

Maybe? But losing a bunch of pilots won’t mean a ton of opportunity for new pilots. There are training constraints. And in the meantime the pilots still flying will he left to deal with the fallout. That is always the case. Management makes decisions and the frontline workers deal with the fallout of a horrendous schedule due to being even more short-staffed.

United aside, I’m curious what this will do for work forces at airlines like American. Much lower percentage of vaccinated pilots and many many more within 3-5 years of retirement.

I saw an article that said France is reopening and not allowing unvaccinated American's in. It will soon be the law for all legacies that have a huge international presence.

EDIT: It's all of France, not the city of Paris.

Last edited:
This is the thing I think is lost in the progressive echo chamber that this forum seems to have become of late. And it’s one of the reasons I don’t really consider myself an active participant anymore. Don’t get me wrong there is a lot of valuable information here, I just think many of you seem out of touch.

I consider myself a pretty “normal” American. I’m not overly-conservative or overly-progressive. I share progressive ideals and conservative ideals alike with my friends. I believe in science and I believe the vaccines are a good thing for our industry, our nation, and the world. I do however have certain strong convictions that have only become stronger throughout all of this. One of them is that the government does not in fact know what is best for me or for you. I know what’s best for me. And the fact that many of you laugh or deride based on the fact that I don’t join your echo chamber speaks volumes. Anyway, I’ll still read in peace and stop by for a chuckle or insight from time to time.

I saw an article that said Paris is reopening and not allowing unvaccinated American's in. It will soon be the law for all legacies that have a huge international presence.
Yes they will. A vaccine will eventually be required to travel almost anywhere outside of the United States. But again, that’s a choice for individual Americans to make. If they want to travel they can get vaccinated. If they don’t want to get vaccinated they don’t have to travel.

Yes they will. A vaccine will eventually be required to travel almost anywhere outside of the United States. But again, that’s a choice for individual Americans to make. If they want to travel they can get vaccinated. If they don’t want to get vaccinated they don’t have to travel.

And if you don’t want to get vaccinated, you don’t have to be employed by a large employer. It’s the same thing. This isn’t a “freedom” question. Which is why your post above extolling your virtues as a supposed centrist falls flat.

This is the thing I think is lost in the progressive echo chamber that this forum seems to have become of late. And it’s one of the reasons I don’t really consider myself an active participant anymore. Don’t get me wrong there is a lot of valuable information here, I just think many of you seem out of touch.

I consider myself a pretty “normal” American. I’m not overly-conservative or overly-progressive. I share progressive ideals and conservative ideals alike with my friends. I believe in science and I believe the vaccines are a good thing for our industry, our nation, and the world. I do however have certain strong convictions that have only become stronger throughout all of this. One of them is that the government does not in fact know what is best for me or for you. I know what’s best for me. And the fact that many of you laugh or deride based on the fact that I don’t join your echo chamber speaks volumes. Anyway, I’ll still read in peace and stop by for a chuckle or insight from time to time.

If this forum is decidely a blue forum, then APC and Propilotworld are both decidedly red. Possibly you're hanging your hat there more, not an attack. We as people tend to gravitate toward those with like minds as ours. I truly do not believe that there is an airline forum that is truly centric on either side of the political spectrum.

Back