Here's the 'Disappointing' and 'Prohibited' Way Some American Airlines Flight Attendants Make Extra Money

This is a story about American Airlines, flight attendants, simple economics, and the 21st-century proclivity so many of us share: finding side hustles and trying to make a little extra money.
It's also about "prohibited" practices, the risk of getting fired for pushing things too far, and the law of unintended consequences.
Let's start with the flight attendants and the scheme some of them came up with, according to both American Airlines and their own union.
In short, some senior flight attendants figured out a way to use their tenure to their monetary advantage.
It's pretty simple, actually. Flight attendants bid each month on the routes they want to fly for the airline. Their requests are granted, based largely on seniority.

Thus, the longest-serving flight attendants get the best routes. By "best," we mean both the most interesting and exotic -- think longer, international trips to South America or Asia, as opposed to an overnight in Omaha (no offense to readers in Omaha) -- but also the most financially rewarding.

So, according to both the airline and the union, senior flight attendants in some cities started bidding on the most desirable trips even when they had no intention of flying them.
Then, they'd turn around and sell those winning bids to more junior flight attendants.
It's not the first time this practice has come to light. In 2018, American Airlines chided flight attendants who were selling their bids -- and reportedly making an average of $200 for each flight.
But, in the wake of the pandemic, and the fact that there are now fewer coveted flights, it apparently became a lot easier for the airlines to track the practice. So, both American Airlines and the union have issued stern warnings.
"Management has made it clear that this illicit trip activity is prohibited," the union cautioned its members this week, according to the flight attendant site, Paddle Your Own Kanoo. "If you are trading or dropping trips outside of the intended means of our scheduling systems, you will be subject to discipline, up to and including termination."
On Friday, the airline itself chimed in, according to View From the Wing:

I suspect it wasn't the junior flight attendants who complained, but rather the ones who had just-enough seniority that they would have been able to bid on those more desirable flights, but for the fact that their more senior colleagues were bidding on them just to sell them.

Regardless, it would seem that the game is likely up, with American Airlines specifically putting jobs on the line. And, I think there are three big takeaways for business leaders in any industry:
  • First, be on the lookout for cliques, and the ways that some employees might be taking advantage of others.
  • Next, be wary of accidentally creating a marketplace. The whole reason this situation seems to exist at the airline is because of what seems to be the unintended consequence of perks designed to protect and reward seniority.
  • Finally, don't be afraid to drop the hammer when you determine that some team members are gaming the system, especially to the detriment of their colleagues.
I reached out to American Airlines for comment, but haven't heard anything back. Still, this whole entrepreneurial escapade only reinforces what I explain in my free ebook, Flying Business Class: 12 Rules for Leaders From the U.S. Airlines, which is that if you were to pick one U.S. industry that people in others businesses should follow and learn from, it's the airline industry.
Think about it: a giant, commodity industry in which all the big players are publicly traded and followed closely by analysts and journalists, and in which they face most of the same issues your business likely faces.
They just do it on a larger stage, and with more people watching -- sometimes, apparently, even including their own employees.

News flash. That’s more than just American!

News flash. That’s more than just American!

796.jpg

Why the heck did that even pop up that I replied to it? What was in that Turkey Club sandwich?

If a UA attendant could rent out their uniform to my wife for a night, there's money to be made. Just saying.

Lol... I just don't get roleplay. You gotta have this whole mental script with a convoluted situation to get to the end point, which is sex. Just get naked and get to the point right away and carry on with your dayt/night. Lol. But, hey... to each their own.

Lol... I just don't get roleplay. You gotta have this whole mental script with a convoluted situation to get to the end point, which is sex. Just get naked and get to the point right away and carry on with your dayt/night. Lol. But, hey... to each their own.

Come back when you've had two decades of monogamous, married people sex. There's a reason people get excited for the McRib, even if it is the same thing, packaged slightly differently. :D

A lot about good sex is as emotional/mental as it is physical.

Funny, I used to give days I was scheduled to fly to other pilots in our company who needed or wanted the money, but it never even occurred to me to ask for a kickback.

Careful you're gonna summon knot4u to pop up and say something inappropriate
IMHO sex is best enjoyed when it's not the entire substance of a relationship but it's a happy side effect. We all know deep down what we want when we go out on a blind date, it's hit or miss. Sometimes the friendship is wonderful and the sex is either nonexistent or almost unpleasant, or the sex is is outstanding and the reality of dealing with that person outside of the bedroom is almost unbearable, almost. Trying to find the happy medium that works for you and whatever partner you choose is something every human ever born has struggled with. Is that inappropriate?

This is a story about American Airlines, flight attendants, simple economics, and the 21st-century proclivity so many of us share: finding side hustles and trying to make a little extra money.
It's also about "prohibited" practices, the risk of getting fired for pushing things too far, and the law of unintended consequences.
Let's start with the flight attendants and the scheme some of them came up with, according to both American Airlines and their own union.
In short, some senior flight attendants figured out a way to use their tenure to their monetary advantage.
It's pretty simple, actually. Flight attendants bid each month on the routes they want to fly for the airline. Their requests are granted, based largely on seniority.

Thus, the longest-serving flight attendants get the best routes. By "best," we mean both the most interesting and exotic -- think longer, international trips to South America or Asia, as opposed to an overnight in Omaha (no offense to readers in Omaha) -- but also the most financially rewarding.

So, according to both the airline and the union, senior flight attendants in some cities started bidding on the most desirable trips even when they had no intention of flying them.
Then, they'd turn around and sell those winning bids to more junior flight attendants.
It's not the first time this practice has come to light. In 2018, American Airlines chided flight attendants who were selling their bids -- and reportedly making an average of $200 for each flight.
But, in the wake of the pandemic, and the fact that there are now fewer coveted flights, it apparently became a lot easier for the airlines to track the practice. So, both American Airlines and the union have issued stern warnings.
"Management has made it clear that this illicit trip activity is prohibited," the union cautioned its members this week, according to the flight attendant site, Paddle Your Own Kanoo. "If you are trading or dropping trips outside of the intended means of our scheduling systems, you will be subject to discipline, up to and including termination."
On Friday, the airline itself chimed in, according to View From the Wing:

I suspect it wasn't the junior flight attendants who complained, but rather the ones who had just-enough seniority that they would have been able to bid on those more desirable flights, but for the fact that their more senior colleagues were bidding on them just to sell them.

Regardless, it would seem that the game is likely up, with American Airlines specifically putting jobs on the line. And, I think there are three big takeaways for business leaders in any industry:
  • First, be on the lookout for cliques, and the ways that some employees might be taking advantage of others.
  • Next, be wary of accidentally creating a marketplace. The whole reason this situation seems to exist at the airline is because of what seems to be the unintended consequence of perks designed to protect and reward seniority.
  • Finally, don't be afraid to drop the hammer when you determine that some team members are gaming the system, especially to the detriment of their colleagues.
I reached out to American Airlines for comment, but haven't heard anything back. Still, this whole entrepreneurial escapade only reinforces what I explain in my free ebook, Flying Business Class: 12 Rules for Leaders From the U.S. Airlines, which is that if you were to pick one U.S. industry that people in others businesses should follow and learn from, it's the airline industry.
Think about it: a giant, commodity industry in which all the big players are publicly traded and followed closely by analysts and journalists, and in which they face most of the same issues your business likely faces.
They just do it on a larger stage, and with more people watching -- sometimes, apparently, even including their own employees.
Really?

Hustles?

Pimpin' ain't easy. 'Specially when yer dealing with badged bags.

Old? Young? It's pretty much ALL a scam-hustle culture right now. Why? (Hmm??? I wonder ... do your research). Still, respect is good. Doing unto others, etc, is good.

Last edited:
Really?

Hustles?

Pimpin' ain't easy. 'Specially when yer dealing with badged bags.

Old? Young? It's pretty much ALL a scam-hustle culture right now. Why? (Hmm??? I wonder ... do your research). Still, respect is good. Doing unto others, etc, is good.
I used to pay younger mechanics to pick up my on-call shifts. If they had a young kid at home the extra money I'd give them on top of what the company paid seemed to be enough motivation. I got to a point that I'd turn off my phones (yes, I used to carry two of them, one was work and one was personal) when I got home. I wanted to work my 40 hours/week and be left alone at night or on the weekends. It has not been a particularly beneficial financial lifestyle but by the time I implemented it I'd seen enough sunsets standing on a ramp somewhere.

Back