The FAA needs to seriously rethink the CTI program

Rontux

First off, I know this is CTI based, but that forum is dead, and I know there are a lot of CTI-college guys on here, and I wanted to at least share some of my opinion. I graduated from Purdue University in August. I am still waiting to hear back from my school. The FAA does not have my information, and I was told it may take up to 36 months to get hired. Perhaps.

-A LITTLE BACKGROUND-

From what I have researched (I was NOT taught this in school), the CTI program originally was implemented to help the FAA cope with the mass-exit of controllers that was supposed to occur around now; the Reagan era guys. When you think about it, that makes plenty of sense. Never before was the workforce in such a weird state; nearly everyone is the same age. The FAA was worried, so they wanted a way to find a ton of new people to hire. They decided, well hey, this is not a bad career, and quite frankly, I am sure some people would actually pay their own money to train for it. Keep in mind that prior to the CTI programs, it was ALL government paid training (think Oklahoma City. I will call that OKC). After all, doctors, lawyers, professors, or whatever, need to pay for their education too. Pilots, too, of course. So that was the FAAs bottom mission statement for the CTI program: Let the students pay for their own training to be air traffic controllers in the USA. While they would still need to be check/trained by a federal agency, there would be a significant benefit to these kids, since they would have had prior experience in the training.

In addition to this, the CTI schools were also kind of 'proxies' for the FAA, making sure people were qualified; both mentally, physically, and academically.

So on paper, everyone wins. The students pay for their education to a great career. The schools make extra money. The FAA finds its replacements. Life is good.

However, that is not really how it works. First, schools are businesses. They like money, like everyone else. Why would they turn down people form the CTI program? Second, there was never any guarantee for positions. And third, the FAA STILL requires people to do their training. So, the CTI program is a complete failure; at least, when compared to it's original purpose.
---------

Here is my $.02; and most of this stuff is simple:

Things to consider.

1) Why does the FAA wait until senior year (sometimes even later) to get check of citizenship, medical, and employment clearances. It is simply absurd. One should have this checked The first year of school, and I would even argue BEFORE being accepted into the school in some cases. Suppose someone had a medical condition (i.e, vision/hearing problems), got a CTI endorsement, and then found out they were not medically qualified. The school wouldn't check. Now, bear in mind, the student could STILL get a CTI endorsement, though. That realization has lawsuit written all over it. In fact, people have pushed this into court (Google it up). Another classic one is perhaps anti-depressants and/or ADD/ADHD. Lots of people are on some sort of medication that would disqualify them from being ATCers. I know people who are on Ritalin/Adderall and they would not qualify to be controllers under a normal medical. However, they are 100% (probably even above 100% with the drugs!) capable of the mental ability required to control. Yet, since the schools do not have the RIGHT to ask medical information to this degree, the kids can screw themselves. And how would they know? Nobody EVER mentions the medical requirements of controllers in the class; something that is extremely strict with this career. Something is NOT right about that.

2) Why is there no contract that the CTI students sign? This is a big one. Suppose that the FAA knows it will need X amount of employees at Y date. If they contractually bind trainees, wouldnt that be better? On both sides, the students would have a slot, and the FAA would have employees.

3) WHY IS THE FAA CONTINUALLY ADDING SCHOOLS to the CTI roster, into an industry that is severely over-saturated as it is. In other words, nobody is currently being picked up into OKC, so why should the FAA certify new schools into CTI? Last time I heard it was up to almost 40. When I started it was around 20 or so. I realize there WILL BE a mass exit of controllers eventually, but keep in mind that people who DO attend CTI programs typically will have SOME sort of other degree. And people beyond a HS diploma typically find other work. So the paradox is, when the FAA calls up to go train for minimum wage, there is a good chance these kids will have already found better things to do. (This is what I call the mass exit/hiring paradox. There are so many people looking for jobs, that when they finally do need them, they will have all found other things to do)

4)THE CTI SCHOOLS NEED TO DO THEIR JOB. They are supposed to help train controllers and specficially, give an edge to the people who will be applying to be a controller. Most of the programs suck. I don't have to tell you this; most of you know that after you graduate CTI, you still have to attend OKC academy. What is the point of that, then?

5) There is no guarantee of employment. See #2

6) The ATSAT is a joke. Nearly everyone will pass it, yet at the same time, it is not administered until a student has already been accepted into a CTI program. In other words, while the score becomes an important part (arguably) in getting a position, people do not even know their capability to score well on it in the first place. Why would you want to continue spending incredible amounts of money on a career in which, quite frankly, you may not even be good at. Lawyers practice the LSAT, doctors practice the MCAT, and what have you. But we do NOT have a definitive test. The study guides are laughable. I scored a 99.3% on the test, and I have no idea what the hell I did.

I could go on.

I am extremely confused and concerned with the current CTI curriculum and the way it is being implemented. Perhaps someone can give me some insight, but I think this is a joke. Bounce some new ideas off of me here. I am lucky I went to a state school; some people have wasted well over $300,000...

300,000 what? US dollars? I'm raising the bs flag on that. And even if somebody did spend that much, they're retarted for doing that. You could become a dr for that much.

I know a LOT of people who went to embry riddle...it is expensive, however it's no where near 300k. Its more like 115-130k. Still an insane amount of money.

I could see Embry-Riddle approaching that cost; after books, housing, transport, etc.$200-300k.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/news...a-man-colorblind-wont-hire-him-he-sues-2.html

Yeah. That guy was an absolute friggin' moron, in the highest sense of the word. Like bip said, you can go through ER for a lot less than that -- or through any of a number of other well-regarded aviation schools for a much better price.

I sympathize with the situation of CTI students and agree that some changes should be made. I agree that it would be appropriate for CTI program administration of each university to make it clear to incoming students what they will need to do in order to be hired. But ultimately it's the responsibility of students to figure it out. Welcome to the real world, y'all, where you're not always going to have your hand held and good jobs are hard to come by. Geez, with only one employer following CTI, it's pretty easy to do -- the resources available online are endless. If you're borderline or there's a question, it's time to get an AME (or shrink, or whatever) to look into your case.

Other points you made...

- Not all controllers are the same age, I don't know where you got that. The CWF plan shows projected retirements, which goes into the spread of ages. Yeah, they're a little weighted towards the old side, but not in the way you suggested.

- Contractually bind students? Absolutely not. No other company in the world would do something like that, why on earth should the FAA? If they flunk out, if they can't control, if they can't pass a clearance, why should they be obligated to hire them? You'll get hired if you don't suck and don't give up. You got to wait through a few panels? Big deal, the rest of the working world often has to spend years getting into a job they want.

- Why do CTI students still need to go to OKC? Because academics are no substitute for hands-on controlling experience. People who know their .65 in and out suck at the job all the time, ask any controller. Not to mention that it'd be impossible to guarantee consistency in outsourced training for a job that allows little room for error.

- On adding schools, they're reflecting demand. Laissez-faire, baby. If students want it, the schools are going to offer it. I can't think of a good scenario to permit regulation -- thereby favoring a select group of schools -- but who knows, maybe one is out there. Maybe limit each school to X amount of CTI recommendations per year? Frustrating, but you don't see any other career field limit the amount of people studying for it. Which leads to...

- The AT-SAT, which does need improvement. Even the FAA agrees with that, as does the OMB's investigation into it a few years ago. The bar's set too low, making it of little use as an aptitude predictor. In the FAA's defense, it's a notoriously hard skill set to predict, but still...

Anyway... I'm kind of playing devil's advocate to your points, don't take it personally. There are improvements that'd be good to make, but in some ways, I think you're overestimating the value of a CTI student (not much, as you have no proven controlling experience) and in others misunderstanding the FAA's perspective (and their "obligation" to you as a student, which is non-existent). And maybe you've misunderstood the core purpose of CTI, which was never meant to "replace" initial training in the first place... just to provide an early start on it.

the CTI program was started for one reason only, the FFA wanted out to save money on controller sceening and pass the cost to the applicant.i love it when you nubees try to use logic with the FFA ,ill give you a hint your wasting you time it dosent work.

- Why do CTI students still need to go to OKC? Because academics are no substitute for hands-on controlling experience. People who know their .65 in and out suck at the job all the time, ask any controller. Not to mention that it'd be impossible to guarantee consistency in outsourced training for a job that allows little room for error.

There are plenty of good controllers who know their .65. Yeah you will learn the parts you need to know on position. But having a good idea beforehand so you can practice what you know when it happens is a better way to go. There are supervisors and trainers that will kick trainees off position if they don't know things. So let's try to make it to the control room before making such bold statements please.

There are plenty of good controllers who know their .65. Yeah you will learn the parts you need to know on position. But having a good idea beforehand so you can practice what you know when it happens is a better way to go. There are supervisors and trainers that will kick trainees off position if they don't know things. So let's try to make it to the control room before making such bold statements please.

I agree with rosta, he's not saying you don't need to know the 7110, he's saying that it won't help you separate 2 planes if you can't see traffic. And your right, some trainers want you to know the 7110 cold, and you definitely should, but again, it won't mean anything if you can't see traffic

P.S...I've been to the control floor...haha

the CTI program was started for one reason only, the FFA wanted out to save money on controller sceening and pass the cost to the applicant.i love it when you nubees try to use logic with the FFA ,ill give you a hint your wasting you time it dosent work.

LOL. I am beginning to agree here :clap:

- Contractually bind students? Absolutely not. No other company in the world would do something like that, why on earth should the FAA? If they flunk out, if they can't control, if they can't pass a clearance, why should they be obligated to hire them? You'll get hired if you don't suck and don't give up. You got to wait through a few panels? Big deal, the rest of the working world often has to spend years getting into a job they want.

Well, that is true. I agree with you it would be strange.BUT I was thinking more along the lines of 'flight-slots' in ROTC. These kids get signed positions, and when you think about it, it kind of makes sense because of their obligations. I guess that is my point; perhaps it is the COLLEGES who make CTI look like it is worth more than it really is. It is only a few classes in most schools, anyway.

I agree with rosta, he's not saying you don't need to know the 7110, he's saying that it won't help you separate 2 planes if you can't see traffic. And your right, some trainers want you to know the 7110 cold, and you definitely should, but again, it won't mean anything if you can't see traffic

P.S...I've been to the control floor...haha

My apologies then I misinterpreted that. Sorry

Why do CTI students still need to go to OKC? Because academics are no substitute for hands-on controlling experience. People who know their .65 in and out suck at the job all the time, ask any controller. Not to mention that it'd be impossible to guarantee consistency in outsourced training for a job that allows little room for error.

Well that's part of his point I think. Then stop with the CTI program and make everyone OTS. I know there are a certain amount of academics associated with ATC that you need to start with before the actual training but the OTS people go through that in OKC anyway.

I graduated from Purdue University in August. I am still waiting to hear back from my school. The FAA does not have my information.

Why does the FAA wait until senior year (sometimes even later) to get check of citizenship, medical, and employment clearances. It is simply absurd.

I'm happy to answer two of your questions with first hand knowledge, since one of my kids is currently enrolled in a CTI program.

1... You say you graduated in August and are still waiting on Purdue to send the FAA your info. It's only been 30 days at most, but WHY didn't you insure this was handle prior to graduation day or weren't you aware that you needed a referral from your school? This could be a problem with you not paying attention to details or a lack of effort on your part to make sure you received that oh so very important school referral required by the FAA.

2)...Why does the FAA wait until senior year to request info...
Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but this would seem to be an issue with you or your school. The reason I say this is because three weeks into my kids freshman year, they were required to complete both the citizenship and security background paperwork for the FAA and notify the FAA they are enrolled in the CTI Program. So once again either you or your school missed paying attention to the details required by the FAA.

3)... What has your department head told you as to why a recommendation to the FAA hasn't been sent on your behalf. Have you asked for a copy of any recommendation they may of sent? I hate to sound like a dick but is there any possibility the school has refused to issue a recommendation on your behalf.

FYI... ERAU CTI Program 2010-11 is 136,000 which includes room and board plus books. Not 300,000.

Far to many of you young guys think an ATC career something that should just be given to you, just because you went to school. If you really want to be a controller, you should be willing to work your ass off and stop whining about something you should of known.

4 year degree for ATC = fail anyway. Blame yourself for bad decision making. Its like getting a 4 year as a professional pilot. You're pretty hemmed in at that point.

If you went to ERAU for CTI (which is the only way to accrue near that much debt), well. You made your bed. Believe me. OMG we have the best sims guys! That impresses nobody. Sims mean zero. I wrote a 30 page essay on the history of ATC and got an A+! Mmmmk. Can you vector? Did your CTI school prepare you for having to write a statement?

CTI programs are scams for the large part. So are 2-4 year degrees in dispatch and pro-pilot. Why students demand them I will never know. For ATC, it is a bit more understandable because until recently it was a good way to get into a well paying industry. Not many people predicted the FAA would overstaff as much as it did.

ERAU is very expensive. It is really for people from families that have money and not for your average joe college student.

I think CTI should be done away with since I agree with the OP. Why are CTI students more or less prepared than anyone else? OTS people have to go through an initial training but it is nothing extreme. All CTI can do is bypass the intro stuff that OTS people do. All the other stuff, it is the same for both.

The real thing I think should change is I think airline employees under age 31 should be able to have a chance at ATC. Airline employees have practical experience in the industry and have experience with a lot of the airports that ATCers work in. If ATCers can leave ATC at any point and go to an airline, why cant airline employees as easily move over to ATC? For example, rampers would do well at ground control and tower stuff because they already have an idea of how planes move on the ground. Pilots understand very well the need for separation at the lower altitudes and would have an idea of how approach control might work. Dispatchers would understand things like clearance delivery and center type stuff since they are used to giving releases and long range flight planning. These are just examples but are meant to show that airline employees can have a lot to offer to ATC based on their experience in flight operations.

why cant airline employees as easily move over to ATC?

No one has ever stop an airline employee from applying with the FAA. The examples your using are of people doing a single task.

ATC demands you have an exceptional ability to multitask with an extremely focused mindset around a group of people who could easily become a distraction to you, while your writing with one hand, issuing vectors, clearances and weather, all while creating a mental game plan that ensures the safe, orderly and expeditious movement of air traffic. In other words it's an extremely demanding job only type "A" personalities enjoy. Air Traffic Controllers demand perfection not only in their own work but also from the working people around them. It's an awesome career, but it's not for the majority of those who apply.

CTI programs are scams for the large part. So are 2-4 year degrees in dispatch and pro-pilot. Why students demand them I will never know. For ATC, it is a bit more understandable because until recently it was a good way to get into a well paying industry. Not many people predicted the FAA would overstaff as much as it did.

ERAU is very expensive. It is really for people from families that have money and not for your average joe college student.

I think CTI should be done away with since I agree with the OP. Why are CTI students more or less prepared than anyone else? OTS people have to go through an initial training but it is nothing extreme. All CTI can do is bypass the intro stuff that OTS people do. All the other stuff, it is the same for both.

The real thing I think should change is I think airline employees under age 31 should be able to have a chance at ATC. Airline employees have practical experience in the industry and have experience with a lot of the airports that ATCers work in. If ATCers can leave ATC at any point and go to an airline, why cant airline employees as easily move over to ATC? For example, rampers would do well at ground control and tower stuff because they already have an idea of how planes move on the ground. Pilots understand very well the need for separation at the lower altitudes and would have an idea of how approach control might work. Dispatchers would understand things like clearance delivery and center type stuff since they are used to giving releases and long range flight planning. These are just examples but are meant to show that airline employees can have a lot to offer to ATC based on their experience in flight operations.

sorry but you have it all wrong being a pilot or ramper or what ever dosent mean youll do well in ATC.there is a difference in what you think it takes to be a controller and what it really takes.

Well that's part of his point I think. Then stop with the CTI program and make everyone OTS. I know there are a certain amount of academics associated with ATC that you need to start with before the actual training but the OTS people go through that in OKC anyway.

Point taken, and in some ways, the FAA appears to be agreeing -- current trends seem to be suggesting that they're trying to push through the OTS crowd and eliminate the Basics class. Just speculation, though.

The real thing I think should change is I think airline employees under age 31 should be able to have a chance at ATC.

None of the examples you gave have anything to do with an aptitude of separating traffic in a safe and timely manner. That's probably the biggest misunderstanding on the part of applicants: thinking that any of their past experience can contribute towards that. They don't.

I don't see how an airline employee under 31 gets any less chance than anyone else, though.

Back