So which feeders are getting the new Cessna?

How long until the first one falls out of the sky due to ice in typical Cessna fashion? I predict the first full winter.
How long before they convert them to TKS is the quesiton. Unpressurized turboprops all suffer this problem to some degree.

How long before they convert them to TKS is the quesiton. Unpressurized turboprops all suffer this problem to some degree.
No, Cessnas suffer from this problem. Even piston twins from about anyone else with boots generally do better. The 99 has no problem in ice, nor the A90. The pa31 doesn't have a problem in ice, but the 402 is aweful.

No, Cessnas suffer from this problem. Even piston twins from about anyone else with boots generally do better. The 99 has no problem in ice, nor the A90. The pa31 doesn't have a problem in ice, but the 402 is aweful.

Yup I flew the 99 in moderate icing all day on some bad winter days, handled it pretty well.

Ahh, what the crap here's some pics.
20151102_074327_HDR.jpg
20151102_074310_HDR.jpg

FUN TIMES!

The C402 is terrible in Ice because of the wing. But it sure is nice to fly. So much nicer than the Chieftruck.. But yeah, I'll let someone else take a 402 into icing.

This looks like light icing? Where's the moderate? ;)
I looked at those pictures and thought the same thing. I would have called that light rime, but I’ve never been the best at gaging the thickness of ice.

I guess it’s all relative: I’ve picked up that much ice going SIT - JNU in May, and didn’t think much of it. Probably ignorance on my part! It’s reassuring to know that the descent into JNU is steep and that the Navajo does a good job in ice.

I looked at those pictures and thought the same thing. I would have called that light rime, but I’ve never been the best at gaging the thickness of ice.

I guess it’s all relative: I’ve picked up that much ice going SIT - JNU in May, and didn’t think much of it. Probably ignorance on my part! It’s reassuring to know that the descent into JNU is steep and that the Navajo does a good job in ice.

It’s not bad until it’s bridging across the vgs in the Navajo

Idk, I’ve been flying piston and turbine props through northeast winters with days full of moderate ice for over a decade and never thought the 402 was any worse than a 90 or MU2. My one encounter with severe icing was in a 402 actually, and despite scaring the crap out of me the plane handled it well enough to get me home. But icing is subjective, so maybe the Navajo sense of the “icing scale” is different.

Light ice = comfortably manageable

Moderate ice = uncomfortably manageable

Severe ice = uncomfortably unmanageable

The navajo doesn't need to be flying in any ice. "A man can build a 1,000 bridges, he cancels for one call of severe clear and he's a ______ for the rest of his life."

If you're blowing the boots every 2-3 minutes and it hardly keeps up, and you've lost 30 knots I'd easily call it moderate. The pics are after the boots were cycled, the leftover ice wouldn't shed. Like I said fun times!

I looked at those pictures and thought the same thing. I would have called that light rime, but I’ve never been the best at gaging the thickness of ice. I guess it’s all relative: I’ve picked up that much ice going SIT - JNU in May, and didn’t think much of it. Probably ignorance on my part! It’s reassuring to know that the descent into JNU is steep and that the Navajo does a good job in ice.
If you're blowing the boots every 2-3 minutes and it hardly keeps up, and you've lost 30 knots I'd easily call it moderate. The pics are after the boots were cycled, the leftover ice wouldn't shed. Like I said fun times!
You don’t have the option to blow at 1 minute?

Back