So I want to joint the 172nd ANG in Jackson, MS...

Hello everyone, my name is John Elliott Jolley, I have been a member for a short while and this will be my first post.

I'll give you a short paragraph of my background. I'm currently a 20 year old Junior in college (only 3 more semesters to go) and I will graduate with a bachelor's degree. I am currently not a pilot but I have grown up around airplanes. My grandpa owns an Aerial Fertilization Company that operates 4 Air Tractor 802's and I grew up at air ports all over the southeastern US when I would travel with them during the summers. I would help load the planes, fuel them, work on them at times, everything. I've been to Oshkosh before and countless air shows and all. I have always loved aviation, my friends often laugh at me about it, every time a plane flys over I stop and watch it in awe. So anyways, I should hopefully start flying this summer with an instructor and should hopefully attain my PPL soon. Then I will for sure get IFR rated afterwards. As far as eyesight and physical health go, I should be just fine, I have 20/20 vision and played junior college football so I'm used to a lot of excercise and running (though I need to get back on that badly).

The reason for my post is this, I am very interested in joining the 172nd ANG Airlift Wing in Jackson, MS. I live about 25 minutes from the base so almost everytime I go into town I see the C17's fly over. I would love to join up as a C17 pilot. I have done a decent amount of research but I would still like to hear any info y'all might have for me. I have taken the asvab last summer and I made a 81 (if I remember correctly, the recruiter told me it was high enough for any job in the Air Force). I have been told it would benefit me a lot to go in as a loadmaster and then try and work my way into the pilot's seat. While that's still an option, I would honestly much rather go straight in if possible. Any feedback and other info that could help in any way is appreciated. And also what do I need to be doing in the mean time before I graduate college in December of 2018? Thanks in advance!!

-John Elliott Jolley

I do believe you can interview at 90 credit hours. Things to accomplish: AFOQT, and TBAS( you may want to wait on this until you log some flight time, to help with your PCSM score) ... Frankly they don't care about the ASvab, that is an Enlisted test. Get as much flying experience and hours as you can. Get ahold of the pilot recruiter at that unit and ask if you can come visit, bring booze if they allow it. "Rush" the squadron like you would a frat, try to go visit a couple times and develop connections. Start compiling what they are looking for in an interview package and collect atleast three LORs. Keep researching, there is a plethora of info out there. Be able to pass the PT test with no issues, you won't get hired if they think you won't pass. Don't do loadmaster if you want to be the guy flying. You could have done that before college and got it paid for then try to be the bus driver, but at this point try for pilot first unless they tell you otherwise. Each unit looks for different things, but I am pretty sure you talk like them so that'd help for sure, I am sure they are looking for locals. Also, you may benefit by looking up what persec is and using it, technique only.

Last edited:
Do all the stuff the guy above me said. Problem with wanting a certain unit is by the time you have all your stuff in order(which takes a while and is a pain in the ass) you have to hope said unit is hiring.

Most guys I knew who wanted a specific unit ended up somewhere else just because of timing.

Hello everyone, my name is John Elliott Jolley, I have been a member for a short while and this will be my first post.

I'll give you a short paragraph of my background. I'm currently a 20 year old Junior in college (only 3 more semesters to go) and I will graduate with a bachelor's degree. I am currently not a pilot but I have grown up around airplanes. My grandpa owns an Aerial Fertilization Company that operates 4 Air Tractor 802's and I grew up at air ports all over the southeastern US when I would travel with them during the summers. I would help load the planes, fuel them, work on them at times, everything. I've been to Oshkosh before and countless air shows and all. I have always loved aviation, my friends often laugh at me about it, every time a plane flys over I stop and watch it in awe. So anyways, I should hopefully start flying this summer with an instructor and should hopefully attain my PPL soon. Then I will for sure get IFR rated afterwards. As far as eyesight and physical health go, I should be just fine, I have 20/20 vision and played junior college football so I'm used to a lot of excercise and running (though I need to get back on that badly).

The reason for my post is this, I am very interested in joining the 172nd ANG Airlift Wing in Jackson, MS. I live about 25 minutes from the base so almost everytime I go into town I see the C17's fly over. I would love to join up as a C17 pilot. I have done a decent amount of research but I would still like to hear any info y'all might have for me. I have taken the asvab last summer and I made a 81 (if I remember correctly, the recruiter told me it was high enough for any job in the Air Force). I have been told it would benefit me a lot to go in as a loadmaster and then try and work my way into the pilot's seat. While that's still an option, I would honestly much rather go straight in if possible. Any feedback and other info that could help in any way is appreciated. And also what do I need to be doing in the mean time before I graduate college in December of 2018? Thanks in advance!!

-John Elliott Jolley
So...join. You're a year and a half from getting your degree, so it's not like you're missing out on earlier flying. Join. Start off in whatever job you can get/they pick you for. Do good work. Complete your degree. Keep doing good work. Get your pilot's license. Do more good work. Apply for a pilot board. If you don't get this one, then apply for the next one. Repeat as necessary.

So...join. You're a year and a half from getting your degree, so it's not like you're missing out on earlier flying. Join. Start off in whatever job you can get/they pick you for. Do good work. Complete your degree. Keep doing good work. Get your pilot's license. Do more good work. Apply for a pilot board. If you don't get this one, then apply for the next one. Repeat as necessary.
THIS!!

While it's not unheard of or impossible to walk in "off the street", MOST Guard units (both Army and Air) send people to flight school from within their units. They are limited on flight slot allocations so it's impoortant to them that they know who they're sending. It would serve you well to join and get some face time with the people in the unit. The more they like you and your work ethic, the better your chances to go fly for them. If you're lazy and like to whine alot, don't waste your (or thier) time.

Last edited:
Back