Quickest way to get through CFI and finance issues...

takeflight27

Hello all. I'm new, so wasn't sure where to post this, let me know if it should go elsewhere. I thought this would be appropriate though as it's directly related to flight training and ultimately getting my CFI/CFII.

Just a little background. I'll be 22 in a couple months. Finished 2 years of college, will be going back to school online to finish my bachelors. My primary focus right now though is to get my CFI so I can get out of customer service and start instructing and get going in my aviation career. My ultimate goal is to fly for the airlines or a 135 operation, but I actually really look forward to teaching people how to fly and don't mind being there for a few years. But I don't want those few years to start when I'm 25-7 and start my airline career when I'm like 30…which is why I'm trying to finish this quickly.

I got my PPL when I was 17. Currently have 191TT. I started flying again October 2013 after being on hiatus for a couple years. Have built around 50 hours since then, passed the instrument written in June, and completed about 10 hours of instrument training. Have the x/c requirement down, and about 10 hours away from the instrument requirement. And I have 100 PIC.

Right now I'm extremely motivated to finish my instrument rating and move onto the commercial and CFI ratings. The problem is $ and how to get it.

I was doing my lessons with my CFI friend and he was saving me a lot by not charging me. Due to schedule conflicts between our availability I'm going to have to fly with someone else. About a month ago I took out a loan for $12.5k, which would have got me through my instructor ratings. But, because I will be paying a CFI hourly, I need to readjust that estimate to near $20k. The 172 I fly is $95/hr and the RG I'll fly for my CPL is $135. I think it's reasonable to say I could finish my instrument, commercial, CFI, and CFII within 70-80 hours, yes? That would put me at 260-270TT.

Unfortunately, without going to a 141 school, financing options are pretty much limited to family and personal loans. I don't come from a wealthy family so personal loans are really my only access to funding for flight training. Does anyone know any good personal loan options or other financing alternatives?

I checked with a well known 141 school and was told it would take 8 months and close to 200 hours to complete the above training. This is the reason I prefer going the 61 route.

You know, when I graduated high school I kinda gave up on flying and lost motivation because of the money thing. Before last October I didn't really know what I was going to do and just went through the motions with school. Now for the last year I've had my heart and mind set on flying, which I've really had all my life. I just need to figure out how to get there. I want to get on with my life haha.

Thanks for the help and advice.

You should be able to do it in 50ish hours. When u finish your instrument, all of the hours you need to get to 250 should be mixed between left and right seat practicing as a cfi on commercial, private, and (maybe) instrument maneuvers.
You could be ready for Commercial at 250, followed immediately with CFI, and maybe CFII.

You're young. I appreciate your motivation and plan. But with your problem in having any financial resources bear in mind what your monthly payments will be repaying your loans. Take it one step at a time. Finish your instrument. Then make your plan for finishing your other ratings, one at a time. If you get to far ahead of yourself you may lose sight of what you're spending to accomplish those goals.
Best of luck

What are you doing for your ducats now? If it's just customer service, do customer service in an aviation environment. There's no shortage of CSR and line guy positions available at big FBOs, flight schools, and mom-and-pop joints. That will give you more knowledge and networking opportunities in the sector that you want to be in.

For starters when my flightschool would have up and coming CFI's study/take the FOI and AGI. (Here you also have the FOI completed when you need to take it for your CFI written, AGI is a good practice for your CFI written) Then you had the ability to teach groundschools (helps perfecting your presentation skills), and build your own seminars such as E6-B, flight planning (routes/airports students will take with their CFI for the crosscountries), etc... Then when CFI's at your school had students who needed more help with certain subjects then referred the students to the Ground instructors (also helps keeping the CFI's building flight time). Everyone wins.

Back