PTSD and flying. My journey so far..

Andrew_Neal

Hey folks,

Personal post but perhaps I'll learn something from someone who has been through this, or help somebody who hasn't.

I've been in the process of trying to get through flight training since 2016. I went the collegiate route, using my VA benefits. I completed my commercial helicopter rating (personal goal), then went on to start my FW ratings. I opted to do my private first as opposed to doing a commercial category add-on because the way the VA was funding the training, it allowed me to utilize the same amount of benefits and end up with more hours. So.. did the private, did my instrument in 9 weeks flat, did my commercial, then during check-ride prep for the commercial ticket my father died unexpectedly at the age of 54. Took a short break, but ended up experiencing some panic attacks in the months after I buried dad. Had to postpone my flying. It was 1st class renewal time for me, and I disclosed all of this to the AME knowing it would get denied and I'd have to begin the long process of A) addressing the health issue, and then B) jumping through hoops to get back in the cockpit. I did my course of treatment through the VA to save on cost. Well.. the VA decided to diagnose me with PTSD after combining my father's early death with some military trauma/history - which continued to complicate things. I took Lexapro for a year, fully recovered from those panic attacks, and moved on. It's been 9 months since I stopped taking medication and we're going on 2 years since I've had any symptoms. I consider myself 100% - and so does my psychologist and PCP.. so now for the FAA part. I'll be 30 in October, and I'm married with 5 children.

With each letter back and forth with OKC, it's like peeling back the layers of an onion to figure out exactly what they want. 5 or 6 correspondents later (each taking months), I think I have a good idea of exactly what they want. I've provided them with my treatment records, and my physicians have even provided statements signed on their letterhead "clearing" me in their own words. The latest letter has explained that they want a forensic psychiatric evaluation.. so I'm about to spend ~$1500 on one of those because they're apparently not covered under my (or most) insurance policies.

I'm an avionics technician turned software engineer currently working in defense - and I love the work. I just happen to love flying more. So the goal is to get my medical back and finish training.. so that I can either continue to build hours and get on with a regional - or just save flying for a second "fun" career after I retire from Lockheed. The break from flight training has allowed me to focus on my master's degree in computer science, which is a personal goal, but I sure do miss flying.

Not sure what sort of dialogue I'm looking for here, I just hadn't posted here in ages and figured I'd write about something. I'm in the greater Atlanta area, so I'm considering paying Dr. Faulkner a visit to see if I'm on the right track - or can somehow avoid the hefty forensic evaluation fee. Thoughts?

I have nothing useful to offer, but I will observe that the litigiousness of our nation/culture sucks, and makes me angry. "Hey, thanks for serving, we'll make you cringe with meaningless make-US-feel-patriotic "thanks", but you're now a Permanent Liability and shouldn't be trusted with a pencil sharpener". Do the right thing and disclose your problems? 86'd. Some other dude lied and it's smooth sailing for him! Revolting. The best I can do for "useful" is the old tired but correct saw of finding an attorney who deals with this nonsense. I'm sorry you have to deal with this and apologize on behalf of Murica.

I might have something to offer you on this. I've had several students and colleagues suffer similar slings and arrows. One case almost mirrors your story to a point, Some are easier. Some are much worse. Bottom line is that OK City seems not only quite hypocritical in some cases but fairly intransigent in most cases like yours about which I'm aware. Granted, stuff I'm aware of is almost certainly far from the universe of cases.

In my opinion, the biggest suck about these kinds of cases is that the knee jerk, first response of the "professionals" is to put you drugs. Why? 'Cause it's the medical version of assessing human intellectual capacity- the SAT. It's easy, it's quick, it's relatively inexpensive, it relieves the practitioner of any liability while at the same time relieving the practitioner of any responsibility (we'll forego discussion of autonomy, independence, or actual professionalism here). Yet, both of these quick and easy fixes have the end effect of screwing up a whole lot of peoples' lives.

So many, many parts of 'Murica are infected with this kind of dynamic. Professionals making legally actionable "statements of reality" by checking boxes as a proxy for reality, while all the while the actual reality is that the wings are falling off the airplane.

As BBad said above, this kind of situation quickly induces the cultural moral hazard of not doing the right thing and not reporting.

Last edited:
I might have something to offer you on this. I've had several students and colleagues suffer similar slings and arrows. One case almost mirrors your story to a point, Some are easier. Some are much worse. Bottom line is that OK City seems not only quite hypocritical in some cases but fairly intransigent in most cases like yours about which I'm aware. Granted, stuff I'm aware of is almost certainly far from the universe of cases.

In my opinion, the biggest suck about these kinds of cases is that the knee jerk, first response of the "professionals" is to put you drugs. Why? 'Cause it's the medical version of assessing human intellectual capacity- the SAT. It's easy, it's quick, it's relatively inexpensive, it relieves the practitioner of any liability while at the same time relieving the practitioner of any responsibility (we'll forego discussion of autonomy, independence, or actual professionalism here). Yet, both of these quick and easy fixes have the end effect of screwing up a whole lot of peoples' lives.

So many, many parts of 'Murica are infected with this kind of dynamic. Professionals making legally actionable "statements of reality" by checking boxes as a proxy for reality, while all the while the actual reality is that the wings are falling off the airplane.

As BBad said above, this kind of situation quickly induces the cultural moral hazard of not doing the right thing and not reporting.

Typically the treatment for PTSD should be DBT (Dialectical Behavior Therapy) a type of CBT (Cognitive Behavior Therapy) with a psychologist. I.E. talk therapy. A psychiatrist is typically the first to want to always prescribe meds for a problem, because they're doctors. In this case I could see a great argument for seeing both a psychologist for DBT. Which IMO is going to be the best method of therapy, which will get to the root problem and give insight and teach coping skills. A psychiatrist should also be seen as a secondary for prescribing medications for the associated panic attacks that are associated with PTSD such as Xanax or similar.

Hey folks,

Personal post but perhaps I'll learn something from someone who has been through this, or help somebody who hasn't.

I've been in the process of trying to get through flight training since 2016. I went the collegiate route, using my VA benefits. I completed my commercial helicopter rating (personal goal), then went on to start my FW ratings. I opted to do my private first as opposed to doing a commercial category add-on because the way the VA was funding the training, it allowed me to utilize the same amount of benefits and end up with more hours. So.. did the private, did my instrument in 9 weeks flat, did my commercial, then during check-ride prep for the commercial ticket my father died unexpectedly at the age of 54. Took a short break, but ended up experiencing some panic attacks in the months after I buried dad. Had to postpone my flying. It was 1st class renewal time for me, and I disclosed all of this to the AME knowing it would get denied and I'd have to begin the long process of A) addressing the health issue, and then B) jumping through hoops to get back in the cockpit. I did my course of treatment through the VA to save on cost. Well.. the VA decided to diagnose me with PTSD after combining my father's early death with some military trauma/history - which continued to complicate things. I took Lexapro for a year, fully recovered from those panic attacks, and moved on. It's been 9 months since I stopped taking medication and we're going on 2 years since I've had any symptoms. I consider myself 100% - and so does my psychologist and PCP.. so now for the FAA part. I'll be 30 in October, and I'm married with 5 children.

With each letter back and forth with OKC, it's like peeling back the layers of an onion to figure out exactly what they want. 5 or 6 correspondents later (each taking months), I think I have a good idea of exactly what they want. I've provided them with my treatment records, and my physicians have even provided statements signed on their letterhead "clearing" me in their own words. The latest letter has explained that they want a forensic psychiatric evaluation.. so I'm about to spend ~$1500 on one of those because they're apparently not covered under my (or most) insurance policies.

I'm an avionics technician turned software engineer currently working in defense - and I love the work. I just happen to love flying more. So the goal is to get my medical back and finish training.. so that I can either continue to build hours and get on with a regional - or just save flying for a second "fun" career after I retire from Lockheed. The break from flight training has allowed me to focus on my master's degree in computer science, which is a personal goal, but I sure do miss flying.

Not sure what sort of dialogue I'm looking for here, I just hadn't posted here in ages and figured I'd write about something. I'm in the greater Atlanta area, so I'm considering paying Dr. Faulkner a visit to see if I'm on the right track - or can somehow avoid the hefty forensic evaluation fee. Thoughts?

Wondering if there is any update to your situation as I am just starting in a very similar story. Have you heard anything back yet after the psychiatric eval? Hope all is well.

Your determination is inspiring! Keep pushing, and I'm sure you'll find the way back to the cockpit.
Hi Andrew. I see you didn't answer
I can relate to your journey. I've faced my share of challenges, too. It's impressive how you've persevered through PTSD and continued your flight training. However, if you feel depressed again, contact the therapy hotline; they can help you. Your determination is inspiring! Keep pushing, and I'm sure you'll find the way back to the cockpit. Your story could help others going through tough times.

Back