Possible career change - need advice . . .

sometimes the best option is flying for fun and making as much money as you can out of law and starting your own firm then taking 3 days a week off.... if you have a family then family life could suffer. If you dont then its smooth sailing to do whatever makes you most happy

DGC1 and Newbie -

Great advice and insights from both of you. Having worked at a law firm for a few years I have definetely seen both sides of the issue. There were many young associates that are working their arses off and probably having second thoughts about their chosen career. However, I have seen my dad go through the paces for the last 15 years (or how ever long I can remember back). He works harder than anyone I know, working long hours and not being able to be around his family for weeks at a time during pre-trial. Having said that I still know that he truely loves what he is doing, and that is what I am striving for. Luckily I will not be going into this blind, as I will have almost 50 years of combined experience to help guide me through the trials and tribulations of being a young and naive law student/associate, that is one of the reasons I have made this decision.

Newbie said it best I think, I just want to find a happy medium. After a lot of thought I think I have decided that I would be just as happy renting or maybe way down the road owning an airplane to take up whenever time permitted. I have been bitten hard by the aviation bug and when that happens we all know it just doesn't just go away, flying will always be a passion of mine no matter what, just maybe not a profession.

I wish all of you the best luck in whatever your future careers may hold. Someone has already said it, but it needs to be said again. We all find hapiness in differnent ways, and life is way to short not to be happy, whether it be the law or aviation do whatever makes you happy! Hopefully in my case I can achieve this through both of them!

No, dude, not flaming you at all. Seriously, don't take that the wrong way. Besides, it looks like you and I are sharing the same airspace.

Last thing I need, with all the Customs choppers and assorted military aircraft in the area, is someone who doesn't like me flying near me!

In the end, if you really truly enjoy what you are doing, that's what counts. I don't care if you enjoy cleaning windows, practicing medicine, or driving a garbage truck. If you like it, and enjoy it, who cares what anyone else thinks?

[ QUOTE ]
Mtts422 - when you're ready to make that move, let me know. I work in an aviation law firm here in Tampa. I'd be glad to pass on your resume as a fellow JC'er.

[/ QUOTE ]

That would be awesome! Thanks for the offer, I still have a long way to go but will keep that offer in mind when the time comes.

I think in the next couple of years I would really like to get out and get a real world feel for this type of law and what it encompasses. Any suggestions as to how I might go about getting some basic experiences in the field? Just looking to get my feet wet to see if it would be something that I would be interested in.

-Matt-

[ QUOTE ]
CFI's makes 12 to 15K and first year regional F/O's make 18-22K. Ask Bogberto what he makes as a senior F/O at Mesa....I hear it's less than 27.5/hr.

Has it been that way for years or is that a result of post 9-11 and other industry problems? Is the market just flooded with pilots? Are salaries expected to rise as the economy improves?

Matt - i am certainly not a pessiminst and never want to be a downer but, just remember - and this is something i wish someone had told me - as sexy as some areas of the law sound - like aviation law - the lawyer's job is 99% (1) reading boxes of documents and (2) drafting more boxes of documents. I know the other lawyers reading this are thinking, "amen brother."
smile.gif
What you might want to do is fly and then maybe later in your carreer get into consulting or serve as an expert witness in aviation cases. Then you could have your cake and eat it too. Just an idea.

[ QUOTE ]
Any suggestions as to how I might go about getting some basic experiences in the field? Just looking to get my feet wet to see if it would be something that I would be interested in.

[/ QUOTE ]
YOu could do what I did and apply for a runner/file clerk job. That's how I got my foot in the door and got legal experience. I also obtained an A.S. in "Legal Assisting" (i.e. Paralegal degree) after I had finished my B.A..... I wouldn't recommend the A.S. or Paralegal Certificate unless you are serious about being a Paralegal for a long time.

It's been this way for years. For a long time, guys put up with low wages at regionals because they were a stepping stone to something better. Now, with not much upward movement, guys are staying much longer, maybe even a whole career, at a regional. You can make 100K as a senior Capt at some of the regionals but if you don't think you'd be happy with that....I'd stay in your current position.

The market is flooded with pilots. While this condition ebbs and flows, there hasn't been a "pilot shortage" since the mid-60's. There are way too many new guys chasing too few good jobs. It's always really been this way, to an extent, but those who were persistent and hard working could usually attain their career goals. Now...I think it would be wise to lower ones career goals a notch to account for the hard times but if you can live with that....then more power to you.

Salaries improve? Mabye at the regionals and some slow improvement at LCC's. The legacy carriers have and are making cuts unprecedented in the history of the industry. These were always the "best" jobs. In my opinion, they still are, but they just aren't as good as they used to be. In short....don't plan on a lot of improvement in pilot pay.

Hey Stan,

Nessa has been trying to figure out what she wants to do for a real job. She doesn't think hotel front desk is gonna be her thing for a career, and I think she's leaning toward paralegal. She's been reading my aviation law homework, and she understands most of it better than I do.
smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Hey Stan,

Nessa has been trying to figure out what she wants to do for a real job. She doesn't think hotel front desk is gonna be her thing for a career, and I think she's leaning toward paralegal. She's been reading my aviation law homework, and she understands most of it better than I do.
smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
She'd do well. She's a sharp cookie from what I could tell and she's not afraid to speak up for herself...which comes in handy with some attorneys.
wink.gif

If she's really interested, let me know. I think I still have a ton of my old law books. She is MORE than welcome to them. They are outdated, but it'd be a good way to cut her teeth.

Back