NROTC or Army WOFT?

Is it bad that I wish I'd joined the Navy? Mostly so a Coast Guard transition wouldn't feel so weird to apply for?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
No, but I'm sure you would feel the same way. Is the life of a Wo in AD really that bad?

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Seems like AD lite is what makes the Guard/Reserve desirable.

My point being, it's not lite by much. Certainly not by as much as it was when I joined. Young guys don't realize that. It's better yes, but almost becoming the same for the full time people, and in many ways for the part time people.

No, but I'm sure you would feel the same way. Is the life of a Wo in AD really that bad?

I think it's more it's taking a hit from multiple sides.

1. The Army tired. It's is out of money and people. Despite that we are deploying just as much if not more with the new "rotational unit" model of sending units to Korea and Europe since we moved them out. Unit don't have money and parts to fix aircraft and running at 70-80% MTOE on people. I don't think we could honestly do a surge like we did in Iraq right now and survive it. We would come out the back side just screwed for a while. What used to be deployment meant money got turned on and HRC gave you the strength you needed... that doesn't happen anymore because the people and money simply don't exist.

2. Whatever warrant used to be, that's not what "they" want it to be. So the used to be routine crappy parts of the job are becoming the job and the reasons to stay have become something you endure not enjoy. And "they" have changed the promotion model so better get drinking that koolaid

3. Nobody cares. I say they because despite all this people are spending less time at home because they've gotta get that top block on an OER. The bonuses that were normal 8 years ago are gone, even in the special ops community and they are screaming for people. The Army has the attitude of there will always be some E5 that wants your job so you are absolutely expendable. You can't do business like that forever and some people just don't want to see this problem (as we keep ramping up requirements) until it kills them.

Is it bad that I wish I'd joined the Navy? Mostly so a Coast Guard transition wouldn't feel so weird to apply for?

Several of my peers in the VTs were army warrants turned Coasties, including a dude who was at the 160th in his former life.

If you want it, apply for it... 2 week deployments and great qol should be plenty of motivation.

My point being, it's not lite by much. Certainly not by as much as it was when I joined. Young guys don't realize that. It's better yes, but almost becoming the same for the full time people, and in many ways for the part time people.
Are the hours really better in a fighter guard unit then AD?

Several of my peers in the VTs were army warrants turned Coasties, including a dude who was at the 160th in his former life.

If you want it, apply for it... 2 week deployments and great qol should be plenty of motivation.

It's one of a couple COAs.

Apache has been good to me, but I'm ready for something different.

And the MW-4..........and eventually CW-5......was born.

The Army couldn't just have CW-4s at 16 years with nothing to hold above their heads to keep them in line for the next 4 years.
No shi.....kidding!!

This is what they tried to hold over me as I was headed to this very Brigade positon. "Now you understand that we may have to pull you from Brigade if your old Battalion/Company has to deploy? They will need your expertise and we'll need the manpower." "Oh, by the way, the Company deploys in 2 months". "You'll do great at Brigade, we can really use a guy like you..."

Yeah.......right! See ya!!!

If you don't get that NROTC scholarship, and you decide to still pursue the Marine Option NROTC, you can still compete for a 3-year scholarship and if you still don't get one, compete for a 2-year scholarship.

So just because you don't get a full ride scholarship doesn't mean you're footing the bill for the full 4-years

However if you not going into the Marine Corps under the MECEP with an Aviation Guarantee (a separate program but they end up going to college with the Marine Option NROTC mids) your first chance to put in a dream sheet for aviation is at TBS after you commission as a 2d Lt. and whether you get aviation or not is based on how well you do in TBS. Nothing from NROTC counts other than you got commissioned as a Marine Corps 2d Lt instead of a Navy ensign.

While at NROTC there is some flexibility between switching from Marine to Navy and vice versa. And switching to Navy you can try to service select Naval Aviation and you'll know if you're going into aviation or not before you commission as a Navy Ensign. You just won't know your airframe until later on.

So hopefully this helps in deciding between WOFT and NROTC.

Just because you don't get a NROTC scholarship doesn't mean that door to rotary wing aviation is closed.

It's one of a couple COAs.

Apache has been good to me, but I'm ready for something different.

You could always fixed wing transition... lotsa need for Dash and C-12 pilots on the outside.

You could always fixed wing transition... lotsa need for Dash and C-12 pilots on the outside.

Not anymore.

Army killed the 4187 to fixed wing boards about 2 years ago. Now all our fixed wing guys will be flight school born fixed wing pilots.

In short: go NROTC.

I'm a CW2, dual tracked IP/TACOPS, and have my resignation paperwork in so I can go fly for the airlines. Run far away from Army aviation.

If you don't get that NROTC scholarship, and you decide to still pursue the Marine Option NROTC, you can still compete for a 3-year scholarship and if you still don't get one, compete for a 2-year scholarship.

So just because you don't get a full ride scholarship doesn't mean you're footing the bill for the full 4-years

However if you not going into the Marine Corps under the MECEP with an Aviation Guarantee (a separate program but they end up going to college with the Marine Option NROTC mids) your first chance to put in a dream sheet for aviation is at TBS after you commission as a 2d Lt. and whether you get aviation or not is based on how well you do in TBS. Nothing from NROTC counts other than you got commissioned as a Marine Corps 2d Lt instead of a Navy ensign.

While at NROTC there is some flexibility between switching from Marine to Navy and vice versa. And switching to Navy you can try to service select Naval Aviation and you'll know if you're going into aviation or not before you commission as a Navy Ensign. You just won't know your airframe until later on.

So hopefully this helps in deciding between WOFT and NROTC.

Just because you don't get a NROTC scholarship doesn't mean that door to rotary wing aviation is closed.

Most Navy and Marine Corps pilots are Helo pilots... I believe it was 50% and increasing for the Navy and something approaching 70% for the Marine Corps... I'm sure someone can dig up some recent numbers.

I was an NROTC scholarship but Navy. I like that route but wanted to ask, do the Marines still have aviation guarantee? We didn't have that in the Navy, so it was dicey up until we selected aviation. Good luck either way.

Looks like Woodreau answered my question and he is right about the NROTC schlorship as I started out as a college program guy and picked up a scholarship.

In short: go NROTC.

I'm a CW2, dual tracked IP/TACOPS, and have my resignation paperwork in so I can go fly for the airlines. Run far away from Army aviation.
Just curious why?

Back