Need some help

TW2011

Alright here is my background... I was a police cadet from the time I was 16 to age 20 at which time I quit to explorer other options. I dated a police officers sister and we split up when I quit. So about a month after that I turned 21 started going to the bars and two months after turning 21 my exs brother hooked me up for public intoxication. I was outside the bar on the sidewalk. I felt it was wrong but I take responsibility for putting myself in that situation. Went to court and they dismissed it if I did a study program which I completed. So a few months passed and I found myself in the sights of another police officer. He too hooked me for public intoxication. Again I take responsibility for what I did. Entered the same plea bargain except this one was shown as a no contest plea and disarmed upon completion of the class. So now is where it gets interesting, I'm not an alcoholic I just went out on holidays and drank to excessive and a couple months after that last one I got my DUI!! Stupid stupid stupid!!! My brother in law and brother are both CHP and I use to work for a police department. Anyway I took care of the DUI and have all of my dealings in order. It has been three years since I have had a drink and seen any of my old police buddies but on the wrong side of the law. I don't plan on drinking again. I can still go back and work for CHP or another law enforcement agency in a couple of years with showing maturity and good behavior. So my question is now I really want to pick up where I left off when I was 15 and started flight instruction and attempt to have a career in the airline industry. So go ahead start letting me know what you think. I'm not a bad person just made a few errors and since all of those have gotten a good job and have taken more courses for higher education. Anyway let me know what my chances are. I know I'm not DQ'd from the TSA background with the level of my crimes. They were all misdemeanors and plead no contest to the DUI. I hope I can goto an airline interview and prove to them that they were just mistakes at a young age and to look at all of the positive I have done since then. Let me know thanks!!!

With a record of 3 infractions, the FAA will probably ask for a formal substance abuse evaluation from a SAP (Substance Abuse Professional). These folks are approved by DOT. If you are in California, I suggest you get your evaluation done by Dr Robert Elliott, a psychologist in Los Angeles who has a long history with the FAA and whose opinion the FAA respects.

Ok thank you.. Am I going to have a hard time getting a job as a pilot? Or is it something the airlines will look past at a certain point? I'm not sure if I posted this in the right area but I heard it gets asked on the medical. My biggest question is, is there still a chance for me overcome and attain a job as a pilot?

There will be some jobs that wont look at you because of your DUI. Others will once enough time passes. Biggest thing you need to consider is that you may not be able to gain entrance into Canada till at least five years have pasted.

Thanks for the reply guys. I just really want to know that I can over come these things and become an airline pilot or any type of pilot for that matter. Hey Doc do you know anyone in norcal? Los Angeles is pretty far away thanks!

Well sorry for being so new at this and keep ask but I just read on the flight surgeon website that if your DUI is a .15 or higher there is special consideration what exactly goes on and it says to bring my court records. I only have the disposition of what punishment I had and what my bac was.. Will that work? And what are my chances of getting a 1st class medical certificate? Thanks

Back