I hate the FAA

NovemberEcho

Dergs favorite member
In 2014 days before getting out of the AF I got a dui. It was dismissed a couple months later. The FAA knows everything about it becuase I had to submit everything during my hiring process. It has been disclosed on every medical since. In 2019 I got my student pilot certificate and in 2020 my ppl.

Last week, I got a notice from Aeromedical that I have 60 days to re-submit all my dui documentation (breathalyzer report, police report, court documents, any treatment I’ve done, and written statement about my current drinking habits) or lose my medical. This only applies to my pilot medical, not my ATC medical. I called and got in touch with the woman who sent me the notice and explained that the FAA has had all these things since 2014. She said she doesn’t care and I need to resubmit as it’s filed with the ATC section and not the pilot.

I have no idea how/if I’ll be able to get everything.

The number of times the hands of government bureaucracy have no clue what each other are doing, are more numerous than not, sadly. Government efficiency, is a misnomer. My last security clearance, one of the items that comes up is “…we weren’t able to find any confirmation that you applied for Selective Service at age 18..” (I did). But even if I had not, let’s see, 4 combat tours and, at the time, 22 years of military service later, what difference would it make? “…well yes, we saw all of that and it’s well and good, but the box for selective service, there’s a question on your completion of that…”. What, if I need to be drafted for mil service at some point in life?

Idiocy at its finest.

Per my source, who is on the ATC side of aeromedical, they just had a few people from CAMI move to aeromedical and they are just JoYs to work with.

I still don’t understand why we have to report things that you weren’t convicted of. Why do I have to continue to report that a cop effed up 10 years ago?

Nothing will make you anti government like working for the government. The entire time I was at RDU they would not grant me ramp driving privileges on my SIDA badge. I had it at the much larger airport I worked at previously. I could, of course, taxi one of my Club's aircraft on the ramp.

I have no idea how/if I’ll be able to get everything.
One idea to consider...

Is there any way to request/demand a copy of the the FAA's records regarding your DUI from the ATC side of the medical certification branch? Then turn around and submit all of the records back to the FAA.

It sounds maddening, but it might work. Sorry you're dealing with this nonsense.

One idea to consider...

Is there any way to request/demand a copy of the the FAA's records regarding your DUI from the ATC side of the medical certification branch? Then turn around and submit all of the records back to the FAA.

It sounds maddening, but it might work. Sorry you're dealing with this nonsense.
This is actually good advice. I got a copy of my airman's records before applying to a job and I was surprised at the detailed packet which came back.

One idea to consider...

Fun story. When getting hired HR uploaded many of the documents incorrectly so that while it shows they were submitted and everything was to their satisfaction you can’t actually see them. Currently someone is looking to see if they can find the originals but unlikely. Probably the result of OKC ATC having like a grand total of 3 HR reps and completely swamped.

We put fire extinguishers in all of our training & rental Cessnas. They weren't required, but we did it for additional safety. So FAA shows up on a 100F day with temps probably 120F inside a parked Skyhawk, and guess what - extinguisher pressure gauges show slightly above the green arcs, so they ground our aircraft until we have the bottles repacked. Which we did, running the risk that pressures would show too low the following winter when it's 0F outside.

We are here to help, now jump through these hoops you stupid peasant, if not no more circus for you.

I hope you figure it out man, I dread the day the FAA decides to ask for another something involving my little alcohol incident in 2008. I too have disclosed that every medical since the beginning. Now that my lively hood relies on this medical, it does give me some anxiety. On the upper hand your ability to bring the bread home isn’t getting threatened right now

Last edited:
Just to fully understand the situation, you did disclose this when applying for your student medical in 2019?

Oh yes it’s been documented on every medical since 2014. I have a 2nd class through work. When I get my medical done I check a box that’s it’s for ATC and pilot and it’s done at the same time.

Gotcha, just wanted to make sure this wasn’t a previously undisclosed situation.

We put fire extinguishers in all of our training & rental Cessnas. They weren't required, but we did it for additional safety. So FAA shows up on a 100F day with temps probably 120F inside a parked Skyhawk, and guess what - extinguisher pressure gauges show slightly above the green arcs, so they ground our aircraft until we have the bottles repacked. Which we did, running the risk that pressures would show too low the following winter when it's 0F outside.

Remove, placard inop, put them in a cool place for a few hours, reinstall.

Have a friend who flies 121…. One day he leaves his wallet in his pants, washes them and his medical gets ruined. Gets in touch with the FAA to get a replacement….All seems well, but attached to his temporary was a nasty gram saying he has 60 days or something to resubmit all sorts of info regarding a surgery he had 2 years prior. Like a laundry list of items…..
So…kids let this be a lesson to you not to shred your medical.

One would have hoped with medexpress they would have actually transitioned to a better system. I still get told every medical that I forgot to check a box that I have checked for up to 20 years now. They clearly have the information already. They should just be asking if there were any changes since the previous medical exam.

Curiously, why would this affect your pilot medical, but not your ATC medical? Are they not the same medical or to the same standard?

I don’t tell them jack •. They want to figure out when I saw my doctor last, they can go figure it out themselves.

Back