I hate the FAA

It makes sense they are getting serious about substance abuse by doubling down on punishing those who self reported....
We already did this thread, but yeah. The Federal Air Surgeon (presumably after Secretary Buttigieg or someone else who way outranks her leaving a note on her desk to fix her broken system) going on her little YouTube jaunt about how much 'better' and 'safer' the system is (not even close) was probably the defining moment of aviation politics in 2023, for me, anyway.

We already did this thread, but yeah. The Federal Air Surgeon (presumably after Secretary Buttigieg or someone else who way outranks her leaving a note on her desk to fix her broken system) going on her little YouTube jaunt about how much 'better' and 'safer' the system is (not even close) was probably the defining moment of aviation politics in 2023, for me, anyway.
"We asked ourselves if we are awesome, and we decided that we are, and are going to get more awesome".

I think it's all companies - they think they own you when they "buy" you for some cost... that mindset has got to change
Oh, but sir, they did buy me, from sign-in to sign-out or on any day that isn't an X-day, and after or outside of that only in accordance with the PWA. It's an arrangement I generally find most tolerable if not pleasant, but as expressed elsewhere, too, different strokes for different folks. This isn't for everyone, straight up.

Being an interchangeable part has both benefits and drawbacks. I think the benefits outweigh the drawbacks, myself.

Oh, but sir, they did buy me, from sign-in to sign-out or on any day that isn't an X-day, and after or outside of that only in accordance with the PWA. It's an arrangement I generally find most tolerable if not pleasant, but as expressed elsewhere, too, different strokes for different folks. This isn't for everyone, straight up.

Being an interchangeable part has both benefits and drawbacks. I think the benefits outweigh the drawbacks, myself.
They didn't buy you. They're leasing you.

They never own me; they lease my skills, knowledge, and effort, in the hours I agreed to, where I have the ultimate right to repossess my time at any point if I see fit. Naturally, there are consequences for "breaking my lease." Still, they didn't "buy" anything, and the idea that they "bought" your time or your labor is a sneaky one that's highly common in our world.

I mostly find work "pleasant and tolerable" as well, but they never bought me; they're leasing me at best, and I retain the right to "stop playing" whenever I see fit. The idea that you're a component part in a grand machine isn't a problem; the problem is in the idea that a salary is equivalent to purchasing you. The one special thing "ownership" grants you is the right to destroy it. In Roman law this was called "Jus Abutendi." Far too many companies believe that because they paid for your time, they "own" you (and aren't just leasing your time) and thus have the right to abuse you.

I'm not a lawyer, and I am well aware that there are significant legal restrictions on what you have the right to destroy with respect to your property, but most people working and running companies do not think about this or care.

They’re slightly different. Find it strange I’m cleared to control planes carrying thousands of people but having issues to fly a 172.

I've heard a panic vector or two, but technically haven't seen you fly. :) I"M JUST SAYIN!

Lost my wallet a few years ago, FAA license , drivers license, credit/debit cards, insurance cards, Divers license all stupid easy and took minutes and had them within a few days.

FAA medical, I need you to MAIL this in along with these documents..took 54 days

I’m embarrassed to admit it but I lost my medial somehow in my house when I had just got it. Thing just straight op vanished. Called the doc and was like yo I’m an idiot can I get a new one? He said no I can’t and not only that but I can’t do another medical for you for 90 days.

The temporary is only valid for 60 days.

I had to pull a lot of strings to get it all sorted out. They should just have a digital copy on file and you’re sorted.

No

The Inkjet printer at the AME is apparently the gold standard and only they can print it. But just once. It must be blessed by Ron Jeremy or something.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’m embarrassed to admit it but I lost my medial somehow in my house when I had just got it. Thing just straight op vanished. Called the doc and was like yo I’m an idiot can I get a new one? He said no I can’t and not only that but I can’t do another medical for you for 90 days.

The temporary is only valid for 60 days.

I had to pull a lot of strings to get it all sorted out. They should just have a digital copy on file and you’re sorted.

No

The Inkjet printer at the AME is apparently the gold standard and only they can print it. But just once. It must be blessed by Ron Jeremy or something.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I remember going through that like 8-10 years ago when I lost my wallet. Which I finally found this summer when I pulled out my suit to go to a career fair

My last security clearance, one of the items that comes up is “…we weren’t able to find any confirmation that you applied for Selective Service at age 18..” (I did). But even if I had not, let’s see, 4 combat tours and, at the time, 22 years of military service later, what difference would it make? “…well yes, we saw all of that and it’s well and good, but the box for selective service, there’s a question on your completion of that…”.

Similar thing happened to me (I did register). I didn't get kicked out of the Air Force over it, so I guess someone eventually figured it out.

I just had to reset my password on the MedExpress website. Insane requirements. I had to try about 20 times to get a password that would work in the eyes of the FAA.

I hate them so much.

Back