I hate the FAA

Curiously, why would this affect your pilot medical, but not your ATC medical? Are they not the same medical or to the same standard?
I don't think they are the same standards. Pretty sure I have talked to a guy running a scope (ATC tour years ago) that was wheelchair bound for example. I'm sure other requirements would be similar though.

They’re slightly different. Find it strange I’m cleared to control planes carrying thousands of people but having issues to fly a 172.

c38b97e44b2f36f3084e266ea9565156.png

One idea to consider...

Is there any way to request/demand a copy of the the FAA's records regarding your DUI from the ATC side of the medical certification branch? Then turn around and submit all of the records back to the FAA.

It sounds maddening, but it might work. Sorry you're dealing with this nonsense.
This man uno-reversed the FAAs own BS. Brilliant, seriously.

Per my source, who is on the ATC side of aeromedical, they just had a few people from CAMI move to aeromedical and they are just JoYs to work with.

I still don’t understand why we have to report things that you weren’t convicted of. Why do I have to continue to report that a cop effed up 10 years ago?

They have a hard on for substance abuse. It used to be worded conviction only but then someone pointed out that a lot of first time offenders would get deals that reduced it down to a non alcohol charge so they changed it to ask for any arrests for. So they could catch the ones that plead to reckless op etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They have a hard on for substance abuse. It used to be worded conviction only but then someone pointed out that a lot of first time offenders would get deals that reduced it down to a non alcohol charge so they changed it to ask for any arrests for. So they could catch the ones that plead to reckless op etc.

Understandable, but if charges are dismissed imo it shouldn’t be reportable. Why should I have to report something the State said I wasn’t guilty of?

Understandable, but if charges are dismissed imo it shouldn’t be reportable. Why should I have to report something the State said I wasn’t guilty of?

I don’t disagree. The FAA took the stance that you may still have a substance abuse problem even if the courts dismissed the charges. It just a subject they give extreme scrutiny

Isn't this whole scenario akin to double jeopardy? I know things are weird with administrative law, but this seems fundamentally "wrong." Have you talked to your union rep or a lawyer?

I cant even believe this is legal. Like the airline applications that say "have you ever been arrested even if you werent convicted". No matter the reason, if there was no conviction, that should be the end of it.

I cant even believe this is legal. Like the airline applications that say "have you ever been arrested even if you werent convicted". No matter the reason, if there was no conviction, that should be the end of it.
I remember taking this position years ago and being excoriated. Because the AIRLINES need to know this stuff, because WHAT IF YOU GOT AWAY WITH SOMETHING.

Airline hiring (and the attitudes around it) are fundamentally broken.

Isn't this whole scenario akin to double jeopardy? I know things are weird with administrative law, but this seems fundamentally "wrong." Have you talked to your union rep or a lawyer?

It doesn’t effect my ATC so no union involvement. Haven’t bothered with a lawyer yet. Maybe if I can’t get all the documents I’ll go that route.

Adverse adjudications can be considered in military, government, and private sector employment.

If it’s a straight dismissal without any other obligation or plea deal, I don’t think it should ever need to be reported.

This whole thing could be resolved with one night of Monday Night Rehabilitation…

Have a friend who flies 121…. One day he leaves his wallet in his pants, washes them and his medical gets ruined. Gets in touch with the FAA to get a replacement….All seems well, but attached to his temporary was a nasty gram saying he has 60 days or something to resubmit all sorts of info regarding a surgery he had 2 years prior. Like a laundry list of items…..
So…kids let this be a lesson to you not to shred your medical.

Interesting. At my last medical - the AME handed me two copies of my medical certificate. He said "you look like the kinda guy that would leave your wallet in the washer. Here you go".

Interesting. At my last medical - the AME handed me two copies of my medical certificate. He said "you look like the kinda guy that would leave your wallet in the washer. Here you go".
We had a pilot here that had FAA in JS. When he showed him his medical, he had cut the back off the medical seeing it as superfluous information. The FAA said it was no longer valid since he cut too much off, this displeased the captain and his response was to deny the jumpseat to FAA saying he was stressing him out. Not recommended and that didnt go over well!....Its kinda ridiculous though that we get these medical forms printed off a lazer printer in a doctors office and thats our official form and cant have some sort of digital version.

Very sorry to hear that. When I was at the pilot mill, had a guy who started with me and was real bright, very similar situation to you that had been fully disclosed. He had also already lost tons of opportunities right when it happened and was incredibly forthright and humble about the situation. We made it all the way to instructor school and he received that same letter two days before his CFI initial. Ended his journey at least temporarily right then and there. I believe he made the most of it and worked as an AGI for several years before just getting the medical reinstated somewhat recently.

It doesn’t effect my ATC so no union involvement. Haven’t bothered with a lawyer yet. Maybe if I can’t get all the documents I’ll go that route.
You probably should to try to head off any problems - next year you may get a letter, "hey, we noticed you submitted this paperwork for a DUI case that was dismissed from many years ago" even if you submitted it...

I'm really curious how this goes, once you comply once you should not have to comply again.

Back